Harry, Meghan and my Papañca

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
No_Mind

Harry, Meghan and my Papañca

Post by No_Mind »

Prince Harry's marriage has turned me into a seer who has serious problem of papañca (mental proliferation)

Why .. because of this
On 18 May, 30-year-old Amy Hall, a mother and housewife from Suffolk, is undergoing an operation - but she has a major 24-hour recovery deadline. She has a royal wedding to attend, or at least to spectate at, the next day. As a long-standing fan of the royal family – an interest that has passed down through three generations – nothing will stop her from securing a key spot from which to watch Prince Harry and Meghan Markle get married on 19 May.

Her doctor has advised her not to drive, so she’s enlisted her husband to act as chauffeur. She’ll travel to Windsor hours after the operation before spending the night in the Berkshire market town. At 5am, she has already booked a taxi to take her to a prime position near Windsor Castle where she’ll wait until the procession begins at noon.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/bazaar ... pert-view/
In few years as Prince George grows up .. attention of paparazzi will shift to him (along with King Charles/King William)

In coming years Kate will dominate the Royal Family with an iron fist because she would be afraid that any degeneracy on Harry's part (like running naked through a Las Vegas hotel) would not be tolerated by the public.

She would not let Harry and Meghan become another Andrew and Fergie because that would weigh against Prince George's chances at becoming monarch one day (as it is it would be tough to preserve the monarchy past 2030 in its current form)

The generation that remembers Princess Diana is at least 32 years old today. As that generation grows older and struggles to buy a house and put kids through college .. the general sympathy that Harry enjoys today (his wretched father caused his mother to die in arms of her Arab lover and thus out of depression he wore a swastika armband and Nazi uniform to a costume party when he was a matured 20 years old adult) will crumble by that time.

Why am I sort of depressed? Because everyone will be celebrating tomorrow but I can see the future .. it is the same one as Andrew .. as soon as George grows up a bit and paparazzi pushes Harry and Meghan aside (Meghan was an unknown person with a supporting role in a tv series to her credit till she met Harry) and chases George .. the marriage will be a train wreck.

Why did I write it here .. to find out in a decade and half if papañca ever comes true .. also to find if in another decade and half I can overcome the tendency of succumbing to papañca.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Dhammarakkhito

Re: Harry, Meghan and my Papañca

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

papañca and papañca-saññā-saṅkhā http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... eality.pdf
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

The general feeling here in Australia is that the Queen has enormous respect because of her long service and hard work but that Australia will become a republic soon after she is gone, because neither Charles nor the next generation will get the same support.
Even in the UK, I think, the royal family will slip towards the status of a tourist attraction - "Come and see the pomp and pageantry," etc - especially for the rest of the former Empire, which (oddly) includes for this purpose the US. (The US nearly got its own royal family with the Kennedys, but their ascendancy didn't last quite long enough to make them a dynasty. :stirthepot: )

Kim
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

You don't even live in the UK, No_Mind, ..... so why on earth are you even reading this gossip from a fashion magazine and speculating wildly about it too?

I live in the UK myself and while I wish the royal family well, I can't say that I'm particularly interested in their activities in general.

Let go, let go, let go!

:anjali:
Last edited by Aloka on Fri May 18, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Aloka wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:41 am You don't even live in the UK, No_Mind, ..... so why on earth are you even reading this gossip and speculating a lot of nonsense about it too?

I live in the UK myself and while I wish the royal family well, I can't say that I'm particularly interested in their activities in general.

Let go.let go. let go!

First it is not entirely my choice that I have had to read it (or rather watch it .. on CNN and BBC) The BRF is like a circus that never ends (since Andrew Fergie and Charles Diana marriage fell apart) .. can one turn away when one sees a space shuttle explode? We wish to .. but can we?

Second, I wish the Queen well. I admire her a lot.

Lastly none of it is gossip .. Harry's weird behaviour is well documented (hence not gossip) .. and then there is my papanca which I am trying to overcome :weep:

It was triggered by the story about the woman who is going to be a spectator to the marriage 24 hours after her surgery.

Last edited by No_Mind on Fri May 18, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

No Mind wrote:Lastly none of it is gossip
Its what I interpret as gossip about other people's lives and its endlessly recycled in the UK tabloid press and women's magazines and in the media in general. (and your quote was from a woman's magazine).

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Aloka wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:55 am
No Mind wrote:Lastly none of it is gossip
Its what I interpret as gossip about other people's lives and its endlessly recycled in the UK tabloid press and women's magazines and in the media in general. (and your quote was from a woman's magazine)..
Entirely accidental .. I was reading a story about Tippi Hedren (actress in Hitchcock's Birds) who is modelling for Gucci at age 88 .. and then there was a link to the royal marriage .. I do not read women's magazine usually

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

NoMind wrote:and then there is my papanca which I am trying to overcome
Good luck with that. :console:

binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:48 amWe wish to .. but can we?
Of course we can.
Drop the Xanax, and then the natural anxiety and tiredness will do the work of ignoring BRF scandals, space shuttle explosions etc.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

No_Mind wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:43 am Why am I sort of depressed? Because everyone will be celebrating tomorrow but I can see the future ..
You can cheer yourself up with this delightful talk by historian David Starkey who takes a rather more optimistic view.

Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Aloka wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:41 am You don't even live in the UK, No_Mind, ..... so why on earth are you even reading this gossip from a fashion magazine and speculating wildly about it too?
We are (exploited) colonies & thus brainwashed. As children, we were forced to sing: "God Save The Queen".
"Advance Australia Fair" is the national anthem of Australia.... It replaced "God Save the Queen" as the official national anthem in 1984 ...

Wikipedia
Key events in our history:
The First Fleet was the 11 ships that departed from Portsmouth, England, on 13 May 1787 to found the penal colony that became the first European settlement in Australia. The Fleet consisted of two Royal Navy vessels, three store ships and six convict transports, carrying between 1,000 and 1,500 convicts, marines, seamen, civil officers and free people (accounts differ on the numbers), and a vast quantity of stores. From England, the Fleet sailed southwest to Rio de Janeiro, then east to Cape Town and via the Great Southern Ocean to Botany Bay, arriving over the period of 18 to 20 January 1788, taking 250 to 252 days from departure to final arrival.

Wikipedia
In 1915, Australian and New Zealand soldiers formed part of an Allied expedition that set out to capture the Gallipoli Peninsula to open the way to the Black Sea for the Allied navies. The objective was to capture Constantinople, the capital of the Ottoman Empire, which was an ally of Germany during the war. The ANZAC force landed at Gallipoli on 25 April, meeting fierce resistance from the Ottoman Army commanded by Mustafa Kemal (later known as Atatürk). What had been planned as a bold strike to knock the Ottomans out of the war quickly became a stalemate, and the campaign dragged on for eight months. At the end of 1915, the Allied forces were evacuated after both sides had suffered heavy casualties and endured great hardships. The Allied deaths totalled over 56,000, including 8,709 from Australia and 2,721 from New Zealand. News of the landing at Gallipoli made a profound impact on Australians and New Zealanders at home and 25 April quickly became the day on which they remembered the sacrifice of those who had died in the war.

Wikipedia
The Bengal famine of 1943 (Bengali: pañcāśēra manvantara) was a major famine in the Bengal province in British India during World War II. An estimated 2.1–3 million, out of a population of 60.3 million, died of starvation, malaria and other diseases aggravated by malnutrition, population displacement, unsanitary conditions and lack of health care. Millions were impoverished as the crisis overwhelmed large segments of the economy and social fabric. Historians have frequently characterised the famine as "man-made", asserting that wartime colonial policies created and then exacerbated the crisis.

Wikipedia
The 1975 Australian constitutional crisis, also known simply as the Dismissal, has been described as the greatest political and constitutional crisis in Australian history. It culminated on 11 November 1975 with the dismissal from office of the Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam of the Australian Labor Party (ALP), by Governor-General Sir John Kerr... The Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia is the representative of the Australian monarch, currently Queen Elizabeth II.

:bow: :bow:

Wikipedia
:candle:
Dhammanando wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:43 amYou can cheer yourself up with this delightful talk by historian David Starkey who takes a rather more optimistic view.
Dear Venerable. I have gained the impression from some of your forum posts that you appear to be a "royalist". If so, is this "royalism" a personal bent; a respect based in Buddhist cosmology; or something a bhikkhu must train in? In other words, if I personally ordain as a bhikkhu, must I train to respect royalty? Thank you.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

binocular wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:13 am
No_Mind wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:48 amWe wish to .. but can we?
Of course we can.
Drop the Xanax, and then the natural anxiety and tiredness will do the work of ignoring BRF scandals, space shuttle explosions etc.
Hands off my Xanax :guns:
Dhammanando wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:43 am
No_Mind wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:43 am Why am I sort of depressed? Because everyone will be celebrating tomorrow but I can see the future ..
You can cheer yourself up with this delightful talk by historian David Starkey who takes a rather more optimistic view.
Venerable, the monarchy will survive in short term .. about future of the heir I have no doubt (here short term means about thirty years)

William has always been a gentleman and Kate is an astute and tough future Queen .. so the couple will survive based on his smile and her brains ..

It is the spare whose future is causing papanca .. as it is he is unpredictable and wild .. from cheating at A-levels to being photographed while playing strip billiards .. on top of that he is marrying a woman who divorced her first husband rather rudely

If I am not mistaken Harry is currently unemployed too .. something rare for a modern Royal (especially one not in direct line of succession)
DooDoot wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 am
Aloka wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:41 am You don't even live in the UK, No_Mind, ..... so why on earth are you even reading this gossip from a fashion magazine and speculating wildly about it too?
We are (exploited) colonies & thus brainwashed. As children, we were forced to sing: "God Save The Queen".
And forced to travel down roads bearing names such as Queensway till we arrived at "Queen Victoria Memorial"

Last edited by No_Mind on Fri May 18, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

DooDoot wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 am Dear Venerable. I have gained the impression from some of your forum posts that you appear to be a "royalist".
Yes, in the sense that I have a mild preference for monarchies over republics and as a boy when attending English Civil War reenactments I would always cheer for the Cavaliers, not the Roundheads.
DooDoot wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 amIf so, is this "royalism" a personal bent; a respect based in Buddhist cosmology; or something a bhikkhu must train in? In other words, if I personally ordain as a bhikkhu, must I train to respect royalty?
A positive regard for monarchy is something that any classical Theravadin might arrive at upon discovering that the Buddha's conception of the social contract was essentially a prefiguration of that found in Hobbes's Leviathan. Having said that, I've never heard of any monastery where being a royalist was either a job requirement or something that the community would attempt to instil in an ordination candidate.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Grigoris wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:25 pm [...]