On not caring

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
chownah

Re: On not caring

Post by chownah »

Dhammanando wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:01 am
chownah wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:20 am I guess he must have been a great father and active community member and lecturer between the hours of 11pm and 6am between his sleeping, eating, and bathing activities (he did sleep, eat, and bathe I assume).
I don't think that follows. "[He] often did not leave until 11 p.m." doesn't mean that he never left until that time. Also the Scotch Congregationalists were pretty strict sabbatarians in those days, so on Sunday he could have spent the morning preaching and the afternoon playing with sand-monsters.

Murray and the Monster.jpg
OK. Point well taken. Also, he had one of his scriptoria in the back yard of his family home.....so the children could bother one of the scholars (one Mr. Onion who eventually became an editor of the oed) to come and turn the rope for their skipping.
The scriptorium at their home gave murray the chance to exploit child labor which he did with all eleven of his eleven children working for their papa there.....or so it is reported.
chownah
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

chownah wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:58 am .....or so it is reported.
It's also reported that the Iranian-American film producer Farhad Safinia plans to make a movie of Prof. Murray's life, with Mel Gibson playing the man himself. It is to be based on Simon Winchester's book, The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary.

From the publisher's blurb:
The Professor and the Madman, masterfully researched and eloquently written, is an extraordinary tale of madness, genius, and the incredible obsessions of two remarkable men that led to the making of the Oxford English Dictionary - and literary history. The compilation of the OED began in 1857, it was one of the most ambitious projects ever undertaken. As definitions were collected, the overseeing committee, led by Professor James Murray, discovered that one man, Dr. W.C. Minor, had submitted more than ten thousand. When the committee insisted on honoring him, a shocking truth came to light: Dr. Minor, an American Civil War veteran, was also an inmate at an asylum for the criminally insane.

https://www.amazon.com/Professor-Madman ... 0060839783
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
binocular

Post by binocular »

Dhammanando wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:24 amOn account of their hard-earned authority, not their power.
What is authority, if not power ... and what is power, if not authority.

In any relationship, the one who cares less is the one who has more power.

My earlier reference to power was to you, the way you write in an absolutist manner about what is and isn't quite beside the point, as if you are the arbiter of Truth. And of course since you're a monk and a have a high position on this forum, I have already lost, I am already wrong, it doesn't matter what I say, your opinion will always prevail, because you have more power than I. And to hell with rationality too, because you're the arbiter of rationality as well.
Hence, power makes the world go round.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

is this thread basically a roundabout criticism of Venerable Dhammanando for supposedly not being "dhammic" enough?
binocular

Post by binocular »

User1249x wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:22 amis this thread basically a criticism of Venerable Dhammanando for supposedly not being "dhammic" enough?
Someone has yet to reply to the OP question. Instead, people prefered to pursue tangents.

As I don't know what Dhamma is, I can't criticize anyone for not being in line with the Dhamma.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

binocular wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:25 am
User1249x wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:22 amis this thread basically a criticism of Venerable Dhammanando for supposedly not being "dhammic" enough?
Someone has yet to reply to the OP question. Instead, people prefered to pursue tangents.

As I don't know what Dhamma is, I can't criticize anyone for not being in line with the Dhamma.
I think that if i was to scrutinize, there is a case to be made for the most optimal reply in that situation being something that is less likely to be perceived as elitist and confrontational, something like "mind that whether you care or not does not invalidate the point that i was making".