Why are you practising Buddhism?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
binocular

Re: Why are you practising Buddhism?

Post by binocular »

DCM wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:55 pmIn my experience doing non Buddhist stuff is a hell of a lot easier, and what got me in a mess in the first place!
I've never been able to convince myself that the proverbial eating, drinking, and making merry is the way to go. I've tried very hard to convince myself that it is, but to no avail. It's not anhedonia. I can feel sensual pleasures just fine. It's just that their short lasting, their eventual unsatisfactoriness, and the fact that they are not under my control bother me more than most people, it seems.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
DCM

Post by DCM »

binocular wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:23 pm
DCM wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:55 pmIn my experience doing non Buddhist stuff is a hell of a lot easier, and what got me in a mess in the first place!
I've never been able to convince myself that the proverbial eating, drinking, and making merry is the way to go. I've tried very hard to convince myself that it is, but to no avail. It's not anhedonia. I can feel sensual pleasures just fine. It's just that their short lasting, their eventual unsatisfactoriness, and the fact that they are not under my control bother me more than most people, it seems.
Sorry, I meant they are easier to do, they require little to no effort, but like you said they can never satisfy, and now, unlike before, i know the outcome so don’t bother.
binocular

Post by binocular »

DCM wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:48 pmSorry, I meant they are easier to do, they require little to no effort,
I don't find that to be the case at all. It's because it takes me so much effort to do worldly activities that I started wondering whether they're worth it.
but like you said they can never satisfy, and now, unlike before, i know the outcome so don’t bother.
Then you might actually be better off that I!
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

DCM wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:28 pm I started off practising to try and improve myself, to be an easier person to live with, and to find some peace.

Now after nearly 3 years in total, I’m not so sure. The goal in the Nikayas isn’t the worldly improvements above, but even though I can say the goal is Cessation Of Existence, I’m not really sure where I’m going or what I’m aiming for. Sad but true.

What are you practising for, and why?
this happens to practitioners.

3 years have passed, you have changed a lot so it is good to stop to reflect what your goal is with the practice of Buddhism.

sometimes I like listening to lectures about what Buddhism is, what is Theravada Buddhism. just to make my goals clearer.

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
DCM

Post by DCM »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:39 pm
DCM wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:28 pm I started off practising to try and improve myself, to be an easier person to live with, and to find some peace.

Now after nearly 3 years in total, I’m not so sure. The goal in the Nikayas isn’t the worldly improvements above, but even though I can say the goal is Cessation Of Existence, I’m not really sure where I’m going or what I’m aiming for. Sad but true.

What are you practising for, and why?
this happens to practitioners.

3 years have passed, you have changed a lot so it is good to stop to reflect what your goal is with the practice of Buddhism.

sometimes I like listening to lectures about what Buddhism is, what is Theravada Buddhism. just to make my goals clearer.

:anjali:
Thanks Lucas, sometimes it is easy to get caught up in all the differing teachings and opinions and loose track of why I’m doing it. I have changed a lot for the better but get no joy from that fact and I’m not sure why. I keep the 5 precepts to quite minute details but that does not bring me any joy either. I would like to feel happy at how I have changed but for some reason I don’t.

Maybe it’s because I feel anxious to learn as much as I can about Buddhism and put it into practise as I know life is short and fleeting, so I don’t really stop to reflect, I just keep punching ahead.
jrl

Post by jrl »

I have been interested on a more serious level for about 6 years and I think once certain doors are opened they can never be shut. I came looking for deeper meaning to life and it hasn’t always been easy. Sometimes I believe that all the introspective isn’t healthy but needed to learn about ourselves. Am I more peaceful, maybe. Found something deep, probably
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
one_awakening

Post by one_awakening »

To find peace.
“You only lose what you cling to”