When did you learn the significance of connection?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
WindSong

When did you learn the significance of connection?

Post by WindSong » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:48 am

When did you realize you were part of a bigger picture beyond the five senses? When did life surprise you with a simple yet profound realization?

I was sitting in a field, paranoid thoughts from an intentional altered state of consciousness, and my eyes focused on one blade of grass. This was a large field, but I was focused on one blade of grass and could not figure out why. I later came to the realization that without that one blade, there would be no field(or going further; There would be no life).

This moment has stuck with me for numerous years.

Om Mani Padme Hum

JamesTheGiant

Re: When did you learn the significance of connection?

Post by JamesTheGiant » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:30 am

I had many similar thoughts while in "intentional altered states of consciousness".
Upon later reflection I realized they were complete nonsense.
Life and the universe is completely indifferent to that blade of grass.
Utterly unconcerned even with the existence of the human race. If we ceased to exist, or if no grass existed ever, the universe and life would continue to unfold and spin, exactly as it does now.
Take drugs if you like, but please don't believe the nonsense you think while you're tripping.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:51 am

The realisation of every thing is one or the one in everything is profound.
This realisation also Anicca, Dukkha and Anatta according to Buddhist teaching.
So you have to go beyond the oneness.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:56 am

Greetings,
SarathW wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:51 am
So you have to go beyond the oneness.
:thumbsup:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:02 am

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:30 am
if no grass existed ever, life would continue to unfold and spin, exactly as it does now.
No it wouldn’t. Humans evolved in grasslands and so did many large mammals. Without grasslands, we’d never have existed. The first civilizations are also founded on the domestication of grasses, think rice and wheat. Life would be utterly different without grass and we wouldn’t exist without it.

However, we can easily disprove windsong’s insight that without that one blade there would be no field. All you have to do is rip the blade of grass out of the ground and notice that the field is still there.

:tongue:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

aflatun

Post by aflatun » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:19 am

Ludwig Wittgenstein wrote: 6.44 Not how the world is, is the mystical, but that it is.
6.45 The contemplation of the world sub specie aeterni is its contemplation as a limited whole.
The feeling of the world as a limited whole is the mystical feeling.
Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus

Not sure when I noticed this, but its present as far back as I can remember. Around 2 maybe. I was delighted when I found Wittgenstein articulating this difficult, and nonsensical thought.
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16

WindSong

Post by WindSong » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:21 am

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:30 am
Take drugs if you like, but please don't believe the nonsense you think while you're tripping.
I no longer consume drug or drink. I have 138 days clean and sober today. A lot of the stuff I believed while intoxicated is incomprehensible to me now.

WindSong

Post by WindSong » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:24 am

SarathW, retrofuturist, PolarBear, aflatun, rightviewftw, thank you all for your insight. Funny, kinda, how a realization can be turned around. Thank you for all of your insight.

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:37 am

WindSong wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:48 am
When did you realize you were part of a bigger picture beyond the five senses?
Looking at the night sky did it for me :bow: .
Buddha save me from new-agers!