Ajahn Brahm and the strange bottles of Pepsi!

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
No_Mind

Ajahn Brahm and the strange bottles of Pepsi!

Post by No_Mind »

I admire Ajahn Brahm a lot but can make no sense of this passage -
During his tudong months he visited many of the most famous meditation masters, including Ajahn Tate and Ajahn Maha Boowa. Ajahn Brahm had a special affinity for Ajahn Tate and he found him to be one of the most selfless (in the higher sense of the word) and peaceful of all the monks he had ever met. Meeting someone truly special can be enough to inspire one for a lifetime. At one point, while walking between villages, he became particularly thirsty but there was nothing suitable to drink. He then thought to himself: “I am a good monk. If there are any devas (divine beings) out there, can you please ensure I get a Pepsi in the next village.” Ajahn Brahm soon entered the next village and walked past the village store. Then just as he was giving up hope, a lady came running out of the store: “Venerable, would you like a Pepsi!” Then another person came, then another, then another … until he has nine bottles of Pepsi. That’s right: nine bottles of Pepsi, and nothing else!

https://bswa.org/bswp/wp-content/upload ... llness.pdf
How did the bottles of Pepsi appear? What does the passage even mean .. that he was able to make magic happen? He could remotely manipulate mind of other people into giving him Pepsi? Devas sent him Pepsi?

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
bodom

Re: Ajahn Brahm and the strange bottles of Pepsi!

Post by bodom »

No_Mind wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:28 am I admire Ajahn Brahm a lot but can make no sense of this passage -
During his tudong months he visited many of the most famous meditation masters, including Ajahn Tate and Ajahn Maha Boowa. Ajahn Brahm had a special affinity for Ajahn Tate and he found him to be one of the most selfless (in the higher sense of the word) and peaceful of all the monks he had ever met. Meeting someone truly special can be enough to inspire one for a lifetime. At one point, while walking between villages, he became particularly thirsty but there was nothing suitable to drink. He then thought to himself: “I am a good monk. If there are any devas (divine beings) out there, can you please ensure I get a Pepsi in the next village.” Ajahn Brahm soon entered the next village and walked past the village store. Then just as he was giving up hope, a lady came running out of the store: “Venerable, would you like a Pepsi!” Then another person came, then another, then another … until he has nine bottles of Pepsi. That’s right: nine bottles of Pepsi, and nothing else!

https://bswa.org/bswp/wp-content/upload ... llness.pdf
How did the bottles of Pepsi appear? What does the passage even mean .. that he was able to make magic happen? He could remotely manipulate mind of other people into giving him Pepsi? Devas sent him Pepsi?

Or just a strange coincidence and nothing more.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

bodom wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:30 am

But was the story intended as one depicting a serendipitous situation or to hint that Devas sent him Pepsi.

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
bodom

Post by bodom »

No_Mind wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:32 am
bodom wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:30 am

But was the story intended as one depicting a serendipitous situation or to hint that Devas sent him Pepsi.

I guess the only way to really know would be to ask the author himself. :shrug:

Devas are said to help monks out occasionally. See the first book in the Samyutta Nikaya for examples.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

One can find stories like that among different ajahn's , check out "Ajahn Achalo", he has a couple of nice anecdotes, and what one makes out of it is off course optional

I find them truthful!
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“I am a good monk. If there are any devas (divine beings) out there, can you please ensure I get a Pepsi in the next village.”
I thought monks are not allowed to ask for food or drinks.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

Did the monk ask anybody?
If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters
binocular

Post by binocular »

SarathW wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:46 am
“I am a good monk. If there are any devas (divine beings) out there, can you please ensure I get a Pepsi in the next village.”
Indeed. That monk was not a good monk.
Crazy cloud wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:25 amDid the monk ask anybody?
He wished for it in his mind. For a monk, this is already a transgression.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:28 amHow did the bottles of Pepsi appear? What does the passage even mean .. that he was able to make magic happen? He could remotely manipulate mind of other people into giving him Pepsi? Devas sent him Pepsi?
The likeliest explanation seems to be that
1. he was a Western monk in an Asian land,
2. that Asian land had a special/exclusive contract with Pepsi (as opposed to, e.g, Coca-Cola; these big companies sometimes have monopolies like that),
3. Asians want to give Western monks things they think that Western monks would like,
4. he looked thirsty, and Asians want to make merit by giving to monks.

There, a perfectly sensible explanation. And I just wasted five minutes of my life that I'm never going to get back.

:broke:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:45 am
SarathW wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:46 am
Indeed. That monk was not a good monk.
Crazy cloud wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:25 amDid the monk ask anybody?
He wished for it in his mind. For a monk, this is already a transgression.

Did it stick?
If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

Maybe this story has been embellished a bit.
chownah

Post by chownah »

binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:53 am
No_Mind wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:28 amHow did the bottles of Pepsi appear? What does the passage even mean .. that he was able to make magic happen? He could remotely manipulate mind of other people into giving him Pepsi? Devas sent him Pepsi?
2. that Asian land had a special/exclusive contract with Pepsi (as opposed to, e.g, Coca-Cola; these big companies sometimes have monopolies like that),
3. Asians want to give Western monks things they think that Western monks would like,

There, a perfectly sensible explanation. And I just wasted five minutes of my life that I'm never going to get back.

Your post is such a strong reminder of the viewtopic.php?f=45&t=30890&start=80 thread. It is the "Is Ganges river back flow in Varanasi?" thread....do you remember it? In it you brought up the idea that (to quote you) "the traditional Buddhist world is far more alive than what some modernist Buddhists give it credit for." You strongly (very strongly) defended this position and expanded it by saying that one who tries to give common sense explanations "is portraying the Buddha as someone performing parlor tricks, or, in the best case, as someone who was just lucky (both in terms of the movement of his bowl in the river, as well as in terms of his enlightenment)."....and you seem to question the motives of someone who brings a common sense explanation by saying "several posters took it upon themselves to find a common-sensical explanation for how the Buddha's bowl could float against the stream. How come they did that?"

Are you saying that your trying to give common sense explanations of the pepsis is portraying the monk as "someone performing parlor tricks, or, in the best case, as someone who was just lucky "?
Are you saying that you as a modernist buddhist denies that the traditional world is alive enough to encompass this "parlor trick"?

So, I'm sort of perplexed about what seems to be a change of heart....180 degree turn about? What has prompted this I"m wondering. The desire to express a contrarian view? I don't know.
chownah
Last edited by chownah on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binocular

Post by binocular »

chownah wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:48 pmYour post is such a strong reminder of the viewtopic.php?f=45&t=30890&start=80 thread. It is the "Is Ganges river back flow in Varanasi?" thread....do you remember it?
You've got that wrong. This whole Pepsi scenario started out with a monk having an unwholesome desire. There was no such thing with the Buddha.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:53 am

Unless you have some belief in supernatural the study of Eastern philosophy/religion becomes joyless chore.

You should really visit the forum by the self proclaimed arahant. He openly says those who practice a lot get some amazing powers such as reading minds (at least ..)

Here is what he says "make your concentration strong .. make a wish .. see what happens next" (words changed to avoid google search)

Last edited by No_Mind on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:00 pm You've got that wrong. This whole Pepsi scenario started out with a monk having an unwholesome desire. There was no such thing with the Buddha.
Don't you think it would be more beneficial for your own mind stream if you rejoiced in him keeping his vows so well that the devas are willing to give him a bottle of Pepsi or 9?