Ryanair

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Meezer77

Ryanair

Post by Meezer77 »

I flew with Ryanair on my holiday to Malta in January. I hadn't flown with them before and was kind of shocked that my friend and I had to pay extra sit next to each other and print out our boarding passes for the return journey. If you forget to print out your pass it costs £40 at check in for it to be printed out. I'm wondering what's going to happen next? Are we going to have to pay to use the toilets on the aircraft, apparently Michael O'Leary was considering this at one point. I miss the good old days where you paid for your flight and didn't have to worry about all this stuff designed to trip you up and sting you if you're not on the ball. Am I the only one who finds this kind of greed quite depressing?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Ryanair

Post by Sam Vara »

Meezer77 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:47 pm Am I the only one who finds this kind of greed quite depressing?
No, there's at least two of us! For me, the greed is less depressing than the dishonesty. Charging higher prices but being open about it is merely unwelcome, but the subterfuge is actually insulting.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Our Commerce Commision http://www.comcom.govt.nz/ has attempted to stamp out misleading advertising to ensure that the full price is disclosed at the start. Some airlines used to have a price, and then added a "booking fee". (Come to think of it, that sounds like Cinemas and performance venues, and they don't seem to have made a dent in that). Unfortunately, the subterfuge of charging extra if you want to pick your seat, and so on, is hard to declare illegal, since it doesn't actually deny you from flying. Charging extra for not printing the ticket sounds outrageous.

:heart:
Mike
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

As Sir Richard Branson famously said ""If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline."

Two very good videos

and it's follow up

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Ryanair hidden fees are easily available on the net

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-in ... entre/fees

10 Ryanair Charges and How to Avoid Them

At 1:12 Ryanair clearly asks customers to download and print boarding card

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/check-in

Ryanair is offering 1450 km trip London - Rome May 22 for GBP 20 (INR 1815) Lufthansa is offering London - Rome May 22 for GBP 288 14X Ryanair's fare :smile:

and here we pay in developing nations

IndiGo is offering 1300 km trip Kolkata - New Delhi May 22 for INR 2800

Lion Air is offering 600 kms Bangkok - Chiangmai May 22 for INR 1850

With INR 1815 per 1400 km trip, I will have traveled Europe by now (even on my miniscule salary) .. naturally they want you to download your boarding card and check in using their app.

There is no greed or dishonesty regarding the complaint in OP (I am a customer support guy too). Everything was upfront.

How can it be greed if the price is less than rock bottom (price is less than in developing countries) .. how can it be dishonesty when they have clearly instructed to print out boarding pass.

(conversion factor 1 GBP = 90.7 INR = 1.39 USD)

I have been over the numbers at least twice .. if there is any error in fares it is regretted.

Last edited by No_Mind on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:25 am, edited 10 times in total.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

The pet grudge consumers have about my company -

When customer's sign up for say a month's service .. at end (after filling in card number etc) there is a box to tick and it says "if unticked the plan will be auto renewed"

Most untick it and ... also they do not go over their credit card statements

Those who do not use it after first month go berserk at end of fifth month when they find they have been paying every month!! But everything was upfront. Why be angry .. come on you are supposed to read the credit card statement every 14 days in detail .. how do you not read it for 5 months!!

And how come we are never able to pull this one past an Indian or Thai or Vietnamese or Korean in USA? How do they always remember to tick the box?

Because in Asia we learned .. if the fish is cheap .. smell it very well before buying, check its gills too .. if they are pink .. check for any sign of rot and decay .. only then buy the cheap fish

In other words the age old rule of caveat emptor .. it is duty of the buyer to be vigilant .. the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

Meezer, I am not drawing a parallel with your situation

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Meezer77 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:47 pm I flew with Ryanair on my holiday to Malta in January. I hadn't flown with them before and was kind of shocked that my friend and I had to pay extra sit next to each other and print out our boarding passes for the return journey. If you forget to print out your pass it costs £40 at check in for it to be printed out. I'm wondering what's going to happen next? Are we going to have to pay to use the toilets on the aircraft, apparently Michael O'Leary was considering this at one point. I miss the good old days where you paid for your flight and didn't have to worry about all this stuff designed to trip you up and sting you if you're not on the ball. Am I the only one who finds this kind of greed quite depressing?
Ryanair is a super-cheap budget airline and doesn't pretend to be anything else. As usual, you get what you pay for. I flew with them once, Ireland - France, and wasn't unhappy with the value. I have also flown with Tigerair, our local equivalent. Again, cheapskate service but again good value.
:juggling:
As No_Mind says, buyer beware - and you do need to read the contract.
I suspect the 40-quid printing fee is essentially a strong :quote: encouragement :quote: aimed mainly at saving them wages costs in the long run - anyone who gets caught once is likely to remember. :tongue:

:coffee:
Kim
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:35 am When customer's sign up for say a month's service .. at end (after filling in card number etc) there is a box to tick and it says "if unticked the plan will be auto renewed"
It would be better if customers had to tick a box to request auto-renewal. I don't think that auto-renewal should be the default.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

:lol: :rofl: Maybe you guys should work for or be spokesmen for Ryanair. Each to their own eh? I'm just a bit surprised as subterfuge does kind of go against the spirit of Buddhism.
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

Dinsdale wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:15 am
No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:35 am When customer's sign up for say a month's service .. at end (after filling in card number etc) there is a box to tick and it says "if unticked the plan will be auto renewed"
It would be better if customers had to tick a box to request auto-renewal. I don't think that auto-renewal should be the default.

Yeah, I hate that too, so sneaky
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Dinsdale wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:15 am
It is not default .. default is such as when you sign up for some services and they have already kept a box ticked saying "send me news letters and news of promotions" .. they have already done the choosing for you

Here we just introduced a negative .. Do not eat to die means Eat you and you will not die.

Untick to auto renew .. we did not choose on behalf of the customer

Last edited by No_Mind on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Meezer77 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 am Maybe you guys should work for or be spokesmen for Ryanair. Each to their own eh? I'm just a bit surprised as subterfuge does kind of go against the spirit of Buddhism.
Meezer, nothing personal but you are paying 10% of regular full service fare (as I showed above) and not followed what is clearly instructed by Ryanair (above) and then complaining.

Why invoke spirit of Buddhism? What has Buddhism got to do with it?

And where is the subterfuge .. Ryanair has a video out on how to check in and an app and a website .. what more can a budget carrier do?

Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:55 am
Meezer77 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 am Maybe you guys should work for or be spokesmen for Ryanair. Each to their own eh? I'm just a bit surprised as subterfuge does kind of go against the spirit of Buddhism.
Meezer, nothing personal but you are paying 10% of regular full service fare (as I showed above) and not followed what is clearly instructed by Ryanair (above) and then complaining.

Why invoke spirit of Buddhism? What has Buddhism got to do with it?

And where is the subterfuge .. Ryanair has a video out on how to check in and an app and a website .. what more can a budget carrier do?

Actually, I did follow what was instructed and managed to avoid extra fees. I just feel making people pay extra to sit next to each other and extra to print out outward and return boarding cards are greedy tactics. Autorenawal is greedy too. It makes you wonder what's coming next. Is Michael O'Leary going to make passengers wear clamp on masks where you have to pay to breath the oxygen in the aircraft. And if you don't print off your breathing card beforehand then you have to pay 50 Euros.
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

The Buddha did say that suffering is due to craving and greed.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Meezer77 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:22 am The Buddha did say that suffering is due to craving and greed.
... and aversion.

:thinking:
Kim