Ryanair

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Meezer77

Re: Ryanair

Post by Meezer77 »

Kim OHara wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:25 am
Meezer77 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:22 am The Buddha did say that suffering is due to craving and greed.
... and aversion.

:thinking:
Kim
Thanks mate :anjali: Aversion's a strong word, but we all need a bit of negative emotion in order to survive me thinks
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Meezer77 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:29 am
Meezer77 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:22 am The Buddha did say that suffering is due to craving and greed.
... and aversion.

Kim
Thanks mate :anjali: Aversion's a strong word, but we all need a bit of negative emotion in order to survive me thinks
That's absolutely correct, now that you come to mention it. :D
Every single one of your ancestors (and mine) indulged in lust, or we wouldn't be here. And in greed, or at least appetite, or we wouldn't be here. And most likely in some version of hatred, anger and ill-will, or they wouldn't have fought off those sabre-tooth tigers or marauding Mongol/Goth/Saracen hordes and (again) we wouldn't be here.

Kim
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

Kim OHara wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:39 am
Meezer77 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:29 am
... and aversion.

Kim
That's absolutely correct, now that you come to mention it. :D
Every single one of your ancestors (and mine) indulged in lust, or we wouldn't be here. And in greed, or at least appetite, or we wouldn't be here. And most likely in some version of hatred, anger and ill-will, or they wouldn't have fought off those sabre-tooth tigers or marauding Mongol/Goth/Saracen hordes and (again) we wouldn't be here.

Kim

Good point, and I think it's fair to say that Michael O'Leary is a bit of a predatory fat cat.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Meezer77 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:46 am I think it's fair to say that Michael O'Leary is a bit of a predatory fat cat.
About predators .. I know most everything I say here is misconstrued but I believe to survive one must run .. the fastest runner survives the day. There are no predators or preys in this world.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

😂. Love the profile pic with "HINDU" written across it. Very funny. The gazelle lion analogy is good too, and true to an extent I think
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

Meezer77 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:47 pm I flew with Ryanair on my holiday to Malta in January. I hadn't flown with them before and was kind of shocked that my friend and I had to pay extra sit next to each other and print out our boarding passes for the return journey. If you forget to print out your pass it costs £40 at check in for it to be printed out. I'm wondering what's going to happen next? Are we going to have to pay to use the toilets on the aircraft, apparently Michael O'Leary was considering this at one point. I miss the good old days where you paid for your flight and didn't have to worry about all this stuff designed to trip you up and sting you if you're not on the ball. Am I the only one who finds this kind of greed quite depressing?
I traveled a LOT by air in the '80s - '90's and into the first decade of this century. It is nothing like it used to be anymore; air travel totally sucks today.
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

It does suck. It's turned into a kind of game where you have to know all the rules and tricks. Perhaps a sign of things to come. They're saying that Brexit is going to have a really negative impact on air travel, so cheaper flights from the U.K. might not be available anymore
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Meezer77 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:04 am It does suck. It's turned into a kind of game where you have to know all the rules and tricks. Perhaps a sign of things to come. They're saying that Brexit is going to have a really negative impact on air travel, so cheaper flights from the U.K. might not be available anymore
This guy got 5 million air miles by gaming the system.

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:20 am This guy got 5 million air miles by gaming the system.
I didn't watch the video, so don't know if he has a special need to travel so far. But I would have thought that anyone wanting to travel five million miles with bad food, queueing, smelly chemical toilets, potentially annoying neighbours, and breathing accumulated flatulence and viruses would maybe have their priorities wrong.

In terms of comfort and health, I prefer a nice ox-cart.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:39 am
No_Mind wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:20 am This guy got 5 million air miles by gaming the system.
I didn't watch the video, so don't know if he has a special need to travel so far. But I would have thought that anyone wanting to travel five million miles with bad food, queueing, smelly chemical toilets, potentially annoying neighbours, and breathing accumulated flatulence and viruses would maybe have their priorities wrong.

He is a travel writer who literally lives out of two suitcases. Interesting man.

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:43 am
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:39 am

He is a travel writer who literally lives out of two suitcases. Interesting man.

Ah, I see! He's made of sterner stuff than me!