RIP Stephen Hawking

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Disciple

Re: RIP Stephen Hawking

Post by Disciple »

RIP

:toast:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Disciple wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:52 pm RIP

:toast:
Knowing the case
of a clear-minded person,
the One Awakened explained its meaning
in the presence of the monks.
If that person
were to die at this instant,
he'd reappear in heaven
because his mind is clear —
as if he were carried off
and placed there.
It's because of clear-mindedness
that beings go
to a good destination.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ati/tip ... .than.html
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

From Cambridge University in memory of Stephen Hawking

Professor Stephen Hawking (1942 – 2018). Widely regarded as one of the world’s most brilliant minds, Stephen Hawking, who died this week at the age of 76, was known throughout the world for his contributions to science, his books, his television appearances, his lectures and through biographical films. He leaves three children and three grandchildren. All of us at Cambridge University will miss him greatly.

The comment by Hackerz Webb and replies to it show how much of an inspiration he was to young people.

:candle: :candle: :candle:

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think you're being pedantic

Stephen Hawking talking about Brian Cox.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Stephen Hawking's 'breathtaking' final multiverse theory completed two weeks before he died
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/201 ... ultiverse/

A View of The Spiritual World
http://www.japaretreats.com/wp-content/ ... -large.jpg

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:30 am Stephen Hawking's 'breathtaking' final multiverse theory completed two weeks before he died
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/201 ... ultiverse/

A View of The Spiritual World
http://www.japaretreats.com/wp-content/ ... -large.jpg

"Hawking was an honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA), a lifetime member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, and a recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States. "

I think he will be awarded a postumus Nobel prize.
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:05 am I think you're being pedantic

Stephen Hawking talking about Brian Cox.
Thanks venerable, it eases the pain.
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Stephen Hawking's Ashes to be Interred in Westminster Abbey alongside Darwin and Isaac Newton.

Ironic for a well-known Atheist to be honoured by the Christian church in this way.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:27 am Stephen Hawking's Ashes to be Interred in Westminster Abbey alongside Darwin and Isaac Newton.
Newton, Thompson, Rutherford, Dirac, Hawking...
Quite a collection of Physics luminaries there... not sure if I'm missing anyone.

All associated with Cambridge, though Rutherford earned his bachelors and masters degrees in New Zealand.

Mike
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:27 am Stephen Hawking's Ashes to be Interred in Westminster Abbey alongside Darwin and Isaac Newton.

Ironic for a well-known Atheist to be honoured by the Christian church in this way.
It was probably members of the "Establishment" including Theresa May who opted for the Abbey. The C of E is happy to officiate at the send off of anyone of any faith (subject to last wishes or those of relatives) and would also have said the minimum apropriate words over him at the local crematorium.

Very appropriate for him to end up in a black hole, though.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

That is a good point. It is ironic, Venerable.

:anjali: Kevin
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:02 am

It was probably members of the "Establishment" including Theresa May who opted for the Abbey. The C of E is happy to officiate at the send off of anyone of any faith (subject to last wishes or those of relatives) and would also have said the minimum apropriate words over him at the local crematorium.

Westminster Abbey is the UK's de facto State Mausoleum as well as an Anglican church. There's really no other place of equivalent status for a permanent memorial, as far as I can see, and I doubt that there will be one for a very long time. In each case the questions will be the same: do we show respect for this person's achievements and ignore their religious views if they are atheist, Muslim, Buddhist, etc? Or vice versa?
I know - separation of state and religion and all that, not ideal but ... :shrug:

Kim
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Kim OHara wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:02 am

Westminster Abbey is the UK's de facto State Mausoleum as well as an Anglican church. There's really no other place of equivalent status for a permanent memorial, as far as I can see, and I doubt that there will be one for a very long time. In each case the questions will be the same: do we show respect for this person's achievements and ignore their religious views if they are atheist, Muslim, Buddhist, etc? Or vice versa?
I know - separation of state and religion and all that, not ideal but ... :shrug:

Kim
There are many other ways of memorialising someone, some of them far higher in public profile than the final resting place. We will probably see university buildings, Cambridge science Chairs, bequests, and films all with "Hawking" somewhere in the title. We don't know whether Hawking's views were ignored; perhaps he was asked where he wanted his ashes to be placed. It would in any case be difficult for an atheist materialist to argue convincingly that it actually matters where some dust goes in the future.