RIP Stephen Hawking

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
bodom

RIP Stephen Hawking

Post by bodom »

A great mind.

Stephen Hawking dies aged 76
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008

:candle:

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
SarathW

Re: RIP Stephen Hawking

Post by SarathW »

:candle: :candle: :candle:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

RIP :candle: :candle: :candle:

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
manas

Post by manas »

His body could not move, but his mind could encompass so much. I really enjoyed his book, 'A Brief History of Time', which opened my mind to new possibilities. Vale, Stephen Hawking. May he journey on well.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

A great pity, he was a legend. Those who don't think he was any good should refrain from posting in this thread.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
bodom

Post by bodom »

Just realized he died in England on March 14th 3.14 Pi day! Also Einstein's birthday. What a coincidence!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I haven't read his books, but of course have heard a lot about him and also saw the movie about his life, great, brilliant mind.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

chownah wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 pm
dylanj wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:50 am I don't think we should praise him because he was famous & well-liked & is now dead.
I think you should not praise him if you see nothing to praise in him. Other people find things to praise about him and this thread is a place where they have come to remember him and to mention those things which they find praiseworthy. No one is forcing anyone to come here and praise anyone......Your comments being made at the time of his death when people want to remember him are made at the wrong time and in the wrong place. I think you should delete your posts in this thread or have them deleted.

You can start a thread discussing who is praiseworthy if you want but you are out of line to make your posts here.
chownah
Indeed.

He was a great physicist and a deeply inspiring person. I read several of his books a long time ago. I wish him the best, wherever he is.

He said the first lines in this famous Pink Floyd music:

"For millions of years mankind lived just like the animals
Then something happenend which unleashed the power of our imagination
We learned to talk"

'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Undoubtedly a brilliant scientist who continued a fruitful life despite his health conditions, which is what I respect about him.
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

this would be a great opportunity, instead of calling for others to be banned, to tell those who dont know about the merits of mr stephen hawking. of course he was not buddhist or pure in the threefold training and that does not disqualify him from being worth remembering, but a substantiated claim that he not only held but actively promoted wrong view has been leveled in this thread. when someone dies, instead of just saying rip, it will be better to talk about the person and what they knew right and wrong and learn from their experience.
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

He was one of the greatest mind of of the 21 th century. Not sure he travelled to space before his death. He said we have maybe 100 years after earth is destroyed by wars and environmental destruction.

Math and logical thinking made his mind very clear. A brilliant genius.

"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

oncereturner wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:51 pm He was one of the greatest mind of of the 21 th century. Not sure he travelled to space before his death.
Unfortunately, he never made it into space. The nearest he got to it was this two-hour flight in a special plane which produces weightlessness:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn ... o-gravity/
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

oncereturner wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:51 pmHe said we have maybe 100 years after earth is destroyed by wars and environmental destruction.
A few years for China.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I have split several comments off into a new topic... Critiquing the life of Stephen Hawking.

Please reflect on which topic is most appropriate for your comments.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

Motor neuron disease is a horrible condition that devastates most people, and he not only endured it, and endured it longer than most (as most forms put you out of your misery quite fast) but managed to have a productive life while doing so. I think most people would fail to do the same, so its hard to exaggerate how worthy of respect that is. May he fare well!
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16