RIP Stephen Hawking

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Virgo

Re: RIP Stephen Hawking

Post by Virgo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:27 am
Stephen Hawking's Ashes to be Interred in Westminster Abbey alongside Darwin and Isaac Newton.

Ironic for a well-known Atheist to be honoured by the Christian church in this way.
That is a good point. It is ironic, Venerable.

:anjali: Kevin

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:28 am

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:02 am
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Stephen Hawking's Ashes to be Interred in Westminster Abbey alongside Darwin and Isaac Newton.

Ironic for a well-known Atheist to be honoured by the Christian church in this way.
It was probably members of the "Establishment" including Theresa May who opted for the Abbey. The C of E is happy to officiate at the send off of anyone of any faith (subject to last wishes or those of relatives) and would also have said the minimum apropriate words over him at the local crematorium.

Very appropriate for him to end up in a black hole, though.
Westminster Abbey is the UK's de facto State Mausoleum as well as an Anglican church. There's really no other place of equivalent status for a permanent memorial, as far as I can see, and I doubt that there will be one for a very long time. In each case the questions will be the same: do we show respect for this person's achievements and ignore their religious views if they are atheist, Muslim, Buddhist, etc? Or vice versa?
I know - separation of state and religion and all that, not ideal but ... :shrug:

:namaste:
Kim

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:02 am

Kim OHara wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:02 am
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:

It was probably members of the "Establishment" including Theresa May who opted for the Abbey. The C of E is happy to officiate at the send off of anyone of any faith (subject to last wishes or those of relatives) and would also have said the minimum apropriate words over him at the local crematorium.

Very appropriate for him to end up in a black hole, though.
Westminster Abbey is the UK's de facto State Mausoleum as well as an Anglican church. There's really no other place of equivalent status for a permanent memorial, as far as I can see, and I doubt that there will be one for a very long time. In each case the questions will be the same: do we show respect for this person's achievements and ignore their religious views if they are atheist, Muslim, Buddhist, etc? Or vice versa?
I know - separation of state and religion and all that, not ideal but ... :shrug:

:namaste:
Kim
There are many other ways of memorialising someone, some of them far higher in public profile than the final resting place. We will probably see university buildings, Cambridge science Chairs, bequests, and films all with "Hawking" somewhere in the title. We don't know whether Hawking's views were ignored; perhaps he was asked where he wanted his ashes to be placed. It would in any case be difficult for an atheist materialist to argue convincingly that it actually matters where some dust goes in the future.