Child Lama. I think it is ridiculous.

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Disciple

Re: Child Lama. I think it is ridiculous.

Post by Disciple »

manas wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:36 pm
I don't see why someone can't participate in both Forums at once. Sectarianism gives me spiritual indigestion. I'm more interested in improving myself, than in clinging to the notion that "Only this Path is correct, all others are false (or misleading, incomplete, distorted etc). I'm leaning more nowadays, towards "What when I do it, will be for my long term welfare and happiness?", and if a Tibetan Monk or Lama can help with that, so be it. There are good practitioners in both Theravada and Tibatan Buddhism. A case in point, is this truly inspiring Dharma talk by the late Lama Yeshe. This is powerful, vibrant, alive. Well worth a listen.
Read what I said further on in this thread.
manas

Post by manas »

Disciple wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:41 pm
manas wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:36 pm
I don't see why someone can't participate in both Forums at once. Sectarianism gives me spiritual indigestion. I'm more interested in improving myself, than in clinging to the notion that "Only this Path is correct, all others are false (or misleading, incomplete, distorted etc). I'm leaning more nowadays, towards "What when I do it, will be for my long term welfare and happiness?", and if a Tibetan Monk or Lama can help with that, so be it. There are good practitioners in both Theravada and Tibatan Buddhism. A case in point, is this truly inspiring Dharma talk by the late Lama Yeshe. This is powerful, vibrant, alive. Well worth a listen.
Read what I said further on in this thread.
I went and found it, ok sorry if I misconstrued your actual position.
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
alan

Post by alan »

I'll stick with my original statement.
Anyone who can tell me why it is wrong (without misquoting), do so now.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

alan wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:13 am Aslo, I did not deny rebirth. But nowhere did the Buddha say he could determine past lives with anything other than basic needs. And nowhere did he say there is a way to find a specific rebirth.
Sankhārupapattisutta MN 120

‘aho vatāhaṃ kāyassa bhedā paraṃ maraṇā khattiyamahāsālānaṃ sahabyataṃ upapajjeyyan’ti. So taṃ cittaṃ dahati, taṃ cittaṃ adhiṭṭhāti, taṃ cittaṃ bhāveti. Tassa te saṅkhārā ca vihārā ca evaṃ bhāvitā evaṃ bahulīkatā tatrupapattiyā saṃvattanti. Ayaṃ, bhikkhave, maggo ayaṃ paṭipadā tatrupapattiyā saṃvattati. Puna caparaṃ, bhikkhave, bhikkhu saddhāya samannāgato hoti, sīlena samannāgato hoti, sutena samannāgato hoti, cāgena samannāgato hoti, paññāya samannāgato hoti. ‘aho vatāhaṃ kāyassa bhedā paraṃ maraṇā brāhmaṇamahāsālānaṃ … pe … ’ gahapatimahāsālānaṃ sahabyataṃ upapajjeyyan’ti. So taṃ cittaṃ dahati, taṃ cittaṃ adhiṭṭhāti, taṃ cittaṃ bhāveti. Tassa te saṅkhārā ca vihārā ca evaṃ bhāvitā evaṃ bahulīkatā tatrupapattiyā saṃvattanti. Ayaṃ, bhikkhave, maggo ayaṃ paṭipadā tatrupapattiyā saṃvattati.

Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu possesses faith, virtue, learning, generosity, and wisdom. He thinks: ‘Oh, that on the dissolution of the body, after death, I might reappear in the company of well-to-do nobles!’ He fixes his mind on that, resolves upon it, develops it. These aspirations and this abiding of his, thus developed and cultivated, lead to his reappearance there. This, bhikkhus, is the path, the way that leads to reappearance there.

[...]

Again, a bhikkhu possesses faith, virtue, learning, generosity, and wisdom. He thinks: ‘Oh, that on the dissolution of the body, after death, I might reappear in the company of well-to-do brahmins!…in the company of well-to-do householders!’ He fixes his mind on that, resolves upon it, develops it. These aspirations and this abiding of his, thus developed and cultivated, lead to his reappearance there. This, bhikkhus, is the path, the way that leads to reappearance there.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
alan

Post by alan »

Thank you for proving my point.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

alan wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:50 am Thank you for proving my point.
What is this? Some kind of childish thing to say?

Only children say this sort of thing in a conversation. The Buddhavacana clearly indicates directed rebirth.

"Thank you for proving my point". Oh dear.
What is the Uncreated?
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Ayaṃ, bhikkhave, maggo ayaṃ paṭipadā tatrupapattiyā saṃvattati.
This is the path and the practice that leads to rebirth there. (Ven Sujato translation)

Where?

Tassa te saṅkhārā ca vihārā ca evaṃ bhāvitā evaṃ bahulīkatā tatrupapattiyā saṃvattanti.
Those choices and meditations of theirs, developed and cultivated like this, lead to rebirth there. [i.e. wherever they want to go]

The sutta is very extensive, exhaustively listing various places one can attain birth in this way.
What is the Uncreated?
alan

Post by alan »

Name the Sutta which says we can be reborn in a place or time or our choice.
Name the one which says it is possible to determine the rebirth place of others.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Name the Sutta which says we can be reborn in a place or time or our choice.
I literally just did. But I suppose I can copy and paste the information from above so that it's down here too.

What is the Uncreated?
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

I practice Tibetan Buddhism but I also like the teachings from the Theravada forest tradition. I find there is more similarity than you might realise. The skillful means can seem more elaborate at times in Tibetan Buddhism, but it is more a matter of style and emphasis. There has been ignorance on both sides.

I don't know if this is quite relevant, but this talk by Ajahn Amaro goes a little way in explaining the development of the Mahayana approach, from a Theravada point of view. He also shows how concepts that seem to belong in Mahayana are in Theravada too.

Between Arahant and Bodhisattva:
http://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-fij83-26912c1

I think you might need to download an app to hear the talk, otherwise you can probably find the same talk on the Amaravati website, there is a section of audio teachings. The talk was on 25th April 2017.

Edit: Here it is:
https://www.amaravati.org/audio/between ... dhisattva/
“To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

There's a transcript of Ajahn Amaro's talk on the 'Lion's Roar' website.

https://www.lionsroar.com/between-arhat ... dhisattva/

:anjali:

Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

alan wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:13 am Aslo, I did not deny rebirth. But nowhere did the Buddha say he could determine past lives with anything other than basic needs. And nowhere did he say there is a way to find a specific rebirth.
You should look up the term "inferential error" before accusing me.
In all the Sutta on Kamma the Buddha teaches which actions lead to which rebirths. If you couple this with the role that habit plays in rebirth and the role of the rebirth linking consciousness plus the notion that a stream-enterer has at most seven lifetimes before they achieve Nibanna, well... I think there is ample evidence in the Sutta and Abhidhamma for our ability to influence our next incarnation.
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:17 am

MN 120 Saïkhàruppatti-sutta
The Saïkhàruppatti-sutta, the “discourse on re-arising [in a particular way by means
of an] aspiration”, describes how an aspiration can influence the mode of one's rebirth.
A discourse in the Madhyama-àgama takes up the same topic, although its mode of presentation is different to such an extent that these two discourses do not seem to be
“parallels” properly speaking.

The treatment given in these two discourses differs not only in regard to the
range of rebirth modes taken into account, but also about the principle responsible for
such rebirth. While the Madhyama-āgama discourse relates rebirth in a particular realm
to having developed the corresponding meditative attainment, the Majjhima-nikāya
version’s exposition centres on the idea of being reborn through the power of an aspiration, based on a set of qualities that do not mention the development of concentration.

Analayo

____

And NO, Lamaism is not Buddhism. And Tibetans are not such a "nice peaceful" oppressed people. Read the history of both (shamanic tantric lamaism, and the ruthless episodes of Tibetan history).
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

Tibetan "buddhism" is just a somewhat "buddhism", perverted with Bon.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Bon-Tibetan-religion
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

ToVincent wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:15 pm Tibetan "buddhism" is just a somewhat "buddhism", perverted with Bon.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Bon-Tibetan-religion
Ummmmm... That is not what the article says.

BTW,have you ever traveled to countries where Theravada is the official religion? Did you notice any syncretism going on there? Just a little?
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.