Why do Americans not have to announce which country they are from?

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
No_Mind

Re: Why do Americans not have to announce which country they are from?

Post by No_Mind »

polarbear101 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:56 am
No_Mind wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:48 am
polarbear101 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:46 am
If somebody has never heard of California and has no idea where it is they also probably don't have internet access.
It is not a matter of who knows what .. but simple etiquette which rest of the world has no trouble following but seems quite difficult to make you comprehend.

:namaste:
Why don't you just say you're from Kolkata or West Bengal?
One can write city, state, country

or state, country

or country

I chose the lattermost

Disclosing the location of member is discretionary but if it is done it is top down going to as many sub sets as the member wants to reveal

This is not rocket science but basic Venn diagram and understanding of sub sets

Since you are having trouble understanding this is from a Grade 6 student's copy book

My Place In The World (and no it is not at center of the Earth as you mistakenly imagine)

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus

chownah

Post by chownah »

No_Mind wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:39 am
alan wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:33 am
Is there a Florida in India? If not, you can assume I'm in Florida, USA.
Why would I assume Florida is in USA .. why can you not be polite enough to mention it if people from other 160 countries are ..

Come on! Get real! Florida is not in USA....USA is a city in Ōita prefecture in japan.
chownah

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

JeffR wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:15 am
if I tell you I'm from the USA, I've told you nothing. While traveling in other countries I've had people ask what country I'm from; when I answer, 'USA', they inevitably start a conversation or ask questions about things like Texas, California, LasVegas, New York. What the hell? How am I supposed to know anything about that? I'm not from anywhere near those places. Yet they are like, 'well, you're from the USA' (morons). The USA is a big place and the various locations...
I've known a similar phenomenon. Once I was travelling in a country which shall remain nameless. Someone asked me where I was from, and I answered "England". "Great", he said, "Do you know Paul McCartney?"

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

I clearly state which country I should be in!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

alfa

Post by alfa »

Sam Vara wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:40 am
JeffR wrote:
if I tell you I'm from the USA, I've told you nothing. While traveling in other countries I've had people ask what country I'm from; when I answer, 'USA', they inevitably start a conversation or ask questions about things like Texas, California, LasVegas, New York. What the hell? How am I supposed to know anything about that? I'm not from anywhere near those places. Yet they are like, 'well, you're from the USA' (morons). The USA is a big place and the various locations...
I've known a similar phenomenon. Once I was travelling in a country which shall remain nameless. Someone asked me where I was from, and I answered "England". "Great", he said, "Do you know Paul McCartney?"
Well, do you? ;)

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

alfa wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:53 am
Sam Vara wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:40 am
JeffR wrote:
Well, do you? ;)
Alas, no. I think he's probably too shy to ask for an introduction. :tongue:

bodom

Post by bodom »

SDC wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:43 am
thepea wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:25 am
SDC wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:17 am

Our ignorance is slight more sophisticated than that...
Unless you reside from the state of USA, in Texas.
[bodom excluded of course]
Lol well I am originally from Pennsylvania but yes Texans are a different breed to be sure.

With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasaka Keep Nanayon

binocular

Post by binocular »

thepea wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:58 pm
When I was a kid I travelled to Texas, U.S. to visit my relatives, I’m from Canada.
I went to school with my cousin for the day and he introduced me as his cousin from Canada. One kid said that’s the white state up north.
I went up to the school map and pulled it down, it was a roll up style classroom map, intent on pointing out the province and city I lived in. Shocked I found that the map was incredibly detailed with regard to the US but Canada was shown as a big white section with Canada written across it no division of provinces or cities at all.
To be fair, maybe it was simply that type of map that shows only one country. In that map, was Mexico in white as well?
If you can't build with them, don't chill with them.

chownah

Post by chownah »

bodom wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:17 am
SDC wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:43 am
thepea wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:25 am

Unless you reside from the state of USA, in Texas.
[bodom excluded of course]
Lol well I am originally from Pennsylvania but yes Texans are a different breed to be sure.

Forgive me if this is off topic but this discussion has lodged this song in my head:

chownah

bodom

Post by bodom »

chowna wrote: Forgive me if this is off topic but this discussion has lodged this song in my head:

chownah
Lol yep that is our national anthem.

With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasaka Keep Nanayon

thepea

Post by thepea »

binocular wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:23 pm
thepea wrote:
When I was a kid I travelled to Texas, U.S. to visit my relatives, I’m from Canada.
I went to school with my cousin for the day and he introduced me as his cousin from Canada. One kid said that’s the white state up north.
I went up to the school map and pulled it down, it was a roll up style classroom map, intent on pointing out the province and city I lived in. Shocked I found that the map was incredibly detailed with regard to the US but Canada was shown as a big white section with Canada written across it no division of provinces or cities at all.
To be fair, maybe it was simply that type of map that shows only one country. In that map, was Mexico in white as well?
I can’t remember it was back in the 70s.

thepea

Post by thepea »

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

thepea wrote:
Well there is a lot of white stuff up there. :tongue:

Montreal, Canada

Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

[/quote]

David do you really believe that a locomotive driver in Scotland cares about U.S politics .. and also do you really believe that those who follow U.S politics closely from abroad (like me) do not also follow U.K, Europe, China, Japan, Middle East, Russia, Israel as closely?

Yes the loco driver knows that Trump is U.S President and he also knows Putin and that is where his knowing ends.

Do you honestly believe most others in the world except people with time to waste like me know the name of every U.S state, its location and capital?

[/quote]

I care about U.S politics, they have an impact on the rest of the world. Not following your logic here. Or maybe your thinking is very hierarchical.
Last edited by Meezer77 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thepea

Post by thepea »

DNS wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:05 pm

Well there is a lot of white stuff up there.
Yup, I think Canadians are secretly rooting for global warming.