Why do Americans not have to announce which country they are from?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
alfa

Re: Why do Americans not have to announce which country they are from?

Post by alfa »

It's a celebrity vs common man kind of thing.

For example, even if George Clooney leaves his profile blank, everyone will know who he is because he is famous.

The rest of us mortals can't do that.

Think of America as a celebrity among nations or the cool kid, the jock in high school who everybpdy knows.

They need no introduction. This is how the material world functions.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

alfa wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:48 am It's a celebrity vs common man kind of thing.

For example, even if George Clooney leaves his profile blank, everyone will know who he is because he is famous.

Think of America as a celebrity among nations or the cool kid, the jock in high school who everybpdy knows.

Who said celebrities are not introduced .. Letterman introducing Clooney on his show.

Even President of U.S (or any other important person) is introduced always .. because that is the civilised way to do things.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
alfa

Post by alfa »

No_Mind wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:56 am
alfa wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:48 am It's a celebrity vs common man kind of thing.

Who said celebrities are not introduced .. Letterman introducing Clooney on his show.

Even President of U.S (or any other important person) is introduced always .. because that is the civilised way to do things.

They are introduced, yes, but they need no introduction. Others don't fall in that category. That's what I am talking about.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

binocular wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:33 pm Because we are more cultured.
:rofl:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
alan

Post by alan »

Wel then, from now on, consider me a person who needs no introduction.
I am the most logical person you will ever meet.
Plus, might run for President in 2020.

Because someone needs to kick the Ass of God Dam Donald Trump.
Think I'm the right man to do it.
binocular

Post by binocular »

alan wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:28 amWel then, from now on, consider me a person who needs no introduction.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
alan

Post by alan »

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Wyoming, Arkansas, Bible Belt, Delaware, Ohio

Add to the list Cape Cod, MA

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
alan

Post by alan »

Well we have that in common. Would you like to see some nice photos from there?
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

One pet peeve of mine, on another forum, people will write "...in my country, blah blah blah ".

Makes me curious, then I have to ask them "what is your country?" to make sense of their comment. Um, why can't you just say I am from X and this is the case here? :-)
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Wyoming, Arkansas, Bible Belt, Delaware, Ohio, Cape Cod, MA

Add to the list Spokane Washington

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

binocular wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:38 pm
alan wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:28 amWel then, from now on, consider me a person who needs no introduction.
Hmm, that video is gone. Here's a version from my favourite incarnation of the Stones, and my favourite version of the song.

There is, of course some irony in seeing Mick Jagger singing Sympathy For The Devil.
surrounded by Hells Angels, and looking distinctly uncomfortable with the whole situation...

Actually, the video footage is from the infamous Altamont free concert, where the Angels stabbed a man brandishing a gun to death (you can see that at the end of this video), wheras the audio is from another show, since at Altamont they interrupted the song to try to calm down the crowd. The movie Gimme Shelter contains a lot of footage of the concert.

:heart:
Mike
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:01 am ...the Angels stabbed a man brandishing a gun to death (you can see that at the end of this video), wheras the audio is from another show, since at Altamont they interrupted the song to try to calm down the crowd. The movie Gimme Shelter contains a lot of footage of the concert.

:heart:
Mike
All the Hell's Angels members claimed he was brandishing a gun, but no gun was found and it could not be collaborated by anyone not a member of the Hell's Angels gang that there actually was a gun. This information is from the docu-movie mentioned: Gimme Shelter.
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Yes, you are correct. The details are disputed. The film, and the commentary on the DVD are fascinating. I saw the movie as a teenager when it came out and it is still an amazing slice from the period.

Mike
binocular

Post by binocular »

mikenz66 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:39 amI saw the movie as a teenager when it came out and it is still an amazing slice from the period.
I hate the Stones. "Paint it, black" is one of the first sounds that I remember in life. My father listened to them a lot when I was little.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!