Why do Americans not have to announce which country they are from?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
mikenz66

Re: Why do Americans not have to announce which country they are from?

Post by mikenz66 »

JeffR wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:09 pm I've updated mine to show what nation I live in.
Appreciate the nation name... Reminded me to add the Māori term for my country.

:heart:
Mike
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

JeffR wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:09 pm
DNS wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:11 pm I updated my profile info to include what country I live in.
I've updated mine to show what nation I live in.
Cool, looks like we started a trend. :thumbsup:

We've had some native american tribes around here too, Anasazi, Paiute, and Shoshone nations, but mostly Spanish and Mexican travelers and settlers.

Las Vegas is Spanish for "The Meadows" and Nevada is Spanish for "snow-covered."
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

DNS wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Cool, looks like we started a trend. :thumbsup:

We've had some native american tribes around here too, Anasazi, Paiute, and Shoshone nations, but mostly Spanish and Mexican travelers and settlers.

Las Vegas is Spanish for "The Meadows" and Nevada is Spanish for "snow-covered."
Where I live - Sussex - derives its name from the Old English term Sūþsēaxe, which means the place of the South Saxons. Before them were the Romans, and before them a tribe known as the Atrebates, and before them were various waves of invaders who left no record of their names.
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

"Minnesota" is a Lakota name; although half of what is now Minnesota and the majority of Lakota Minnesota is Anishanabe nation.

Lot of Lakota names in the area; the city I live in takes it's name from a well known local lake; Minnetonka. Minneapolis is a combination of Lakota and greek. "Minne" translated to English, like many Pali words, will depend on context.
Minnesota = Land of sky tinted waters.
Minnetonka = Great waters (Lakota "Tonka" is equivalent to Pali "Maha").
Minneapolis = City of lakes.

Then there is "Minnehaha". Can you guess the English?
It's the name of the creek that drains lake Minnetonka into the great river (Mississippi), the name has been given to other's as well, including a Lakota maiden who I hear is the subject, along with Hiawatha, of a famous poem. Laughing waters.

Lot of other Lakota names, but I don't know their English meaning.
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Polar Bear wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:46 am If somebody has never heard of California and has no idea where it is they also probably don't have internet access. Also, I identify more as a Californian than an American. I'd almost consider voting to secede from the union but I'd be concerned about the fate of the world if the US was not at all kept in check by the Bear Republic.

(P.S. Now that I think about it, I may change my location to be Bear Republic, because it would work with my avatar and be accurate but obscure, hence also funny)

:anjali:
If we secede I vote for adopting this flag.

:guns:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
chownah

Post by chownah »

JeffR wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:55 am "Minnesota" is a Lakota name; although half of what is now Minnesota and the majority of Lakota Minnesota is Anishanabe nation.

Lot of Lakota names in the area; the city I live in takes it's name from a well known local lake; Minnetonka. Minneapolis is a combination of Lakota and greek. "Minne" translated to English, like many Pali words, will depend on context.
Minnesota = Land of sky tinted waters.
Minnetonka = Great waters (Lakota "Tonka" is equivalent to Pali "Maha").
Minneapolis = City of lakes.

Then there is "Minnehaha". Can you guess the English?
It's the name of the creek that drains lake Minnetonka into the great river (Mississippi), the name has been given to other's as well, including a Lakota maiden who I hear is the subject, along with Hiawatha, of a famous poem. Laughing waters.

Lot of other Lakota names, but I don't know their English meaning.
There is a town in minnesota, united states of america named "sleepy eye, minnesota, united states of america. Its name is taken from lakota....do you know the lakota for "sleepy eye"?
chownah
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:34 pm Brazil, Canada.
Here is a song about lumberjacks especially for you. :tongue:

Buddha save me from new-agers!
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

chownah wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:25 am
There is a town in minnesota, united states of america named "sleepy eye, minnesota, united states of america. Its name is taken from lakota....do you know the lakota for "sleepy eye"?
chownah
I know of 'Sleepy Eye', it is a very small town and I have been there. I haven't heard before that Sleepy Eye was taken from Lakota and, I'm sorry to say, I don't know the Lakota. It is located in a heavily German part of Minnesota, just West of New Ulm.

I once came across an Anishanabe - English dictionary in a book store; now I'm wondering if there is a Lakota - English one I can check out from the library (I doubt anyone would have put it online).

Edit Add: There is an English - Lakota dictionary online!
https://glosbe.com/en/lkt
Sleepy Eye = ištíŋmA ištá
Last edited by JeffR on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

Mkoll wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:04 am
Polar Bear wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:46 am ..., I identify more as a Californian than an American. I'd almost consider voting to secede from the union but I'd be concerned about the fate of the world if the US was not at all kept in check by the Bear Republic.

I have similar feelings; I don't identify as 'American' so much as I do Minnesotan. I learned quickly when traveling abroad that there are stereotypes of 'American', most of which do not apply. However, the Minnesotan ones generally do.

If Minnesota secedes; although they may not go broke, all of our neighboring states will lose a lot of income (no more cheeseheads crossing the border for emplyoment, etc.).

Actually, I'd rather we be annexed by Canada. Then I can whole heartedly sing the lumberjack song.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Mkoll wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:04 am

:guns:
I’ll second that
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
chownah

Post by chownah »

JeffR wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:39 pm
chownah wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:25 am
chownah
I know of 'Sleepy Eye', it is a very small town and I have been there. I haven't heard before that Sleepy Eye was taken from Lakota and, I'm sorry to say, I don't know the Lakota. It is located in a heavily German part of Minnesota, just West of New Ulm.

I once came across an Anishanabe - English dictionary in a book store; now I'm wondering if there is a Lakota - English one I can check out from the library (I doubt anyone would have put it online).

Edit Add: There is an English - Lakota dictionary online!
https://glosbe.com/en/lkt
Sleepy Eye = ištíŋmA ištá
I know this is off topic but you seem interested in lakota's representation in place names in your locality so I thought this one might interest you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishtakhaba
chownah
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

Thanks Chownah. Not really off topic as this discussion does help explain to NoMind why Americans don't announce which country we're from (do we really know?).

I am very interested in the heritage of Minnesota. I grew up on the homestead that my ancesters lived on since it was stolen from the Lakota. My Mom has told me stories her grandma told her of when she (great-grandma) was a little girl (my Mom's ancestral homestead is still in the family, I grew up on my Dad's ancestral homestead which Mom sold off 15-20 years ago); some of those stories involved the aftermath of the Dakota war. I do not like the attrocities that were committed against the native peoples so that my European ancesters could gain farmland. Even so, I'm still proud of the tenacity of my prairie pioneer ancestors and the heritage brought over from central Europe. I'm also interested in the culture that this nation truly belongs to; both can co-exist as well as blend together.

The names of cities and landmarks here where I live bare stories of both pasts. It's nice to study them and learn about the past and how it has conditioned the present.
Last edited by JeffR on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

chownah wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:09 am
I know this is off topic but you seem interested in lakota's representation in place names in your locality so I thought this one might interest you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishtakhaba
chownah
Interesting how 'Sleepy Eye' is different from how I spelled it out from the dictionary. I simple did a two word translation; obviously doesn't take into account the languaging nuances.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

JeffR wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:53 am Thanks Chownah. Not really off topic as this discussion does help explain to NoMind why Americans don't announce which country we're from (do we really know?).
Jeff, you and David are good Americans. But you know as well as I do that Americans do not announce which country they are from because of hubris.

The member whose introductory thread set me off, lar307, is a Romanian who has migrated to USA. He clearly states so in his second post. I doubt he said "Warm greetings from Wyoming" due to reasons you stated.

It is arrogance .. we are wealthy enough to drive a 3.2 liter turbocharged V6 but you French/Brits/Germans drive 1.5 liter compact cars .. we are bigger .. and biggah is bettah (as Eido Roshi would pronounce it).

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

No_Mind wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:45 am
JeffR wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:53 am Thanks Chownah. Not really off topic as this discussion does help explain to NoMind why Americans don't announce which country we're from (do we really know?).
Jeff, you and David are good Americans. But you know as well as I do that Americans do not announce which country they are from because of hubris.
I don't know what India is like to live in, politically or anything, but as another non-American, I think it is easy to forget that America isn't really "one country" in the way that other "one countries" are "one country". Its basically 50 countries. That might have an effect on how people choose to locate themselves within it.

For instance, in Canada, the laws are generally the same from province to province. A few things will change here or there but its basically one country. The disparity between states in 'the states' is much greater than many other countries.

In India do people say "I'm from ________, India" or do they say "I'm from _________, in the Punjab" (or any other region)? Particularly if the town they are from is very small and unlikely to be known.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.