Online games addiction

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
User avatar
bodom
Posts: 6241
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Online games addiction

Post by bodom » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:00 am

I like to play Madden NFL Football on my Playstation 4 once in awhile.

I'm such a hedonist!

:stirthepot:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo


With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasika Kee Nanayan

denise
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:56 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Online games addiction

Post by denise » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:38 am

:)

Virgo
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Online games addiction

Post by Virgo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:15 am

bodom wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:00 am
I like to play Madden NFL Football on my Playstation 4 once in awhile.

I'm such a hedonist!

:stirthepot:
:rofl:


kevin

User avatar
Crazy cloud
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 8:55 am

Re: Online games addiction

Post by Crazy cloud » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:10 am

dharmacorps wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:43 pm
Crazy cloud wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:25 pm
I mostly see fine people around me, but I know that all of them are deranged, and people who indulge in violent games i regard as possible "ticking bombs" ..
If all that is true then you must be very afraid, very often. I hope you find some peace. :anjali:
ok. thats pretty fine, but can you tell me where peace is to be found? :thinking:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters

User avatar
oncereturner
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:15 am
Location: Hungary

Re: Online games addiction

Post by oncereturner » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:04 pm

The Fruits of the Contemplative Life
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 1997

"Whereas some brahmans and contemplatives, living off food given in faith, are addicted to heedless and idle games such as these — eight-row chess, ten-row chess, chess in the air, hopscotch, spillikins, dice, stick games, hand-pictures, ball-games, blowing through toy pipes, playing with toy plows, turning somersaults, playing with toy windmills, toy measures, toy chariots, toy bows, guessing letters drawn in the air, guessing thoughts, mimicking deformities — he abstains from heedless and idle games such as these. This, too, is part of his virtue."
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8

dharmacorps
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Re: Online games addiction

Post by dharmacorps » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Crazy cloud wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:10 am
ok. thats pretty fine, but can you tell me where peace is to be found? :thinking:
You're on a theravada buddhist forum so I am assuming you have an idea..

dharmacorps
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Re: Online games addiction

Post by dharmacorps » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:50 pm

bodom wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:00 am
I like to play Madden NFL Football on my Playstation 4 once in awhile.

I'm such a hedonist!

:stirthepot:
You get more dhamma points for Madden. I played call of duty/black ops which I think Mara probably invented.

Disciple
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Online games addiction

Post by Disciple » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:07 pm

GTA 5 for me. That must of been invented by Mara's dad.

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 4402
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Online games addiction

Post by SDC » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:19 pm

:D

User avatar
Crazy cloud
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 8:55 am

Re: Online games addiction

Post by Crazy cloud » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:08 pm

dharmacorps wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:46 pm
Crazy cloud wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:10 am
ok. thats pretty fine, but can you tell me where peace is to be found? :thinking:
You're on a theravada buddhist forum so I am assuming you have an idea..
I do have an idea, but you seem to think/assume otherwise, so that's the reason for asking you to clarify!?
If all that is true then you must be very afraid, very often. I hope you find some peace. :anjali:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters

User avatar
oncereturner
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:15 am
Location: Hungary

Re: Online games addiction

Post by oncereturner » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 am

dylanj wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 pm
stop playing them. renounce them all forever. it's the best & only real option
Very good advice! I deleted all the games, except for one. I'm playing it for four months, and finally reached a high level. This is a very good game.

This game is not peaceful. I want to reset all progress and uninstall, but I have no willpower. Reverting back from level 99 to level 1 means all my playing was in vain. I have these foolish thoughts. I will lose my base, all my "treasure", weapons, armor and everything.

Should I delete this heedless zombie game forever?
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8

User avatar
dylanj
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:48 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Online games addiction

Post by dylanj » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:49 am

oncereturner wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 am
dylanj wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 pm
stop playing them. renounce them all forever. it's the best & only real option
Very good advice! I deleted all the games, except for one. I'm playing it for four months, and finally reached a high level. This is a very good game.

This game is not peaceful. I want to reset all progress and uninstall, but I have no willpower. Reverting back from level 99 to level 1 means all my playing was in vain. I have these foolish thoughts. I will lose my base, all my "treasure", weapons, armor and everything.

Should I delete this heedless zombie game forever?
Yes you should :) I understand it is hard, I used to be a big gamer too. Actually right now I am using a gaming computer that I bought - but I have never played any games on it because soon after it arrived I decided I didn't want to become entangled again...It was a good decision despite the seeming "waste" of it. You could say this purchase was in vain...but if I had become engrossed in gaming again there'd be even more vanity, more of a waste.

You know what is best, it's just a matter of whether you can bring yourself to delight in following that choice as opposed to dwelling over what's occurred thus far. Either way I wish you the best. Anumodaana. :anjali:
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
sammā­sambud­dha­desitaṁ;
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,
yattha dukkhaṁ nirujjhatī


Oh! extinction is so very blissful,
As taught by the One Rightly Self-Awakened:
Sorrowless, stainless, secure;
Where suffering all ceases


etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭi nissaggo taṇhakkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ

This is peaceful, this is excellent, that is: the stilling of all preparations, the relinquishment of all attachments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction.

User avatar
Crazy cloud
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 8:55 am

Re: Online games addiction

Post by Crazy cloud » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:50 am

oncereturner wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 am
Should I delete this heedless zombie game forever?
I've kicked a lifelong habit a few years ago, and in the days after the change the mind said to mind: Remove all trophy's belonging to this criminal, because he might come back again and reclaim his possessions.


Be well!
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters

User avatar
bodom
Posts: 6241
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Online games addiction

Post by bodom » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:05 pm

dharmacorps wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:50 pm
bodom wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:00 am
I like to play Madden NFL Football on my Playstation 4 once in awhile.

I'm such a hedonist!

:stirthepot:
You get more dhamma points for Madden. I played call of duty/black ops which I think Mara probably invented.
Lol oh I definitely got down on some Black Ops.
These days it's pretty much just sports games.

:namaste:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo


With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasika Kee Nanayan

User avatar
oncereturner
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:15 am
Location: Hungary

Re: Online games addiction

Post by oncereturner » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Crazy cloud wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:50 am
oncereturner wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 am
Should I delete this heedless zombie game forever?
I've kicked a lifelong habit a few years ago, and in the days after the change the mind said to mind: Remove all trophy's belonging to this criminal, because he might come back again and reclaim his possessions.


Be well!
You mean my game character is a criminal? You are right, he's a mass killer, a " soldier of Mara ".
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 50 guests