Online games addiction

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
bodom

Re: Online games addiction

Post by bodom »

I like to play Madden NFL Football on my Playstation 4 once in awhile.

I'm such a hedonist!

:stirthepot:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
denise

Post by denise »

:)
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

bodom wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:00 am I like to play Madden NFL Football on my Playstation 4 once in awhile.

I'm such a hedonist!

:rofl:

kevin
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

dharmacorps wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:43 pm
Crazy cloud wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:25 pm I mostly see fine people around me, but I know that all of them are deranged, and people who indulge in violent games i regard as possible "ticking bombs" ..
If all that is true then you must be very afraid, very often. I hope you find some peace. :anjali:
ok. thats pretty fine, but can you tell me where peace is to be found? :thinking:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

The Fruits of the Contemplative Life
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 1997

"Whereas some brahmans and contemplatives, living off food given in faith, are addicted to heedless and idle games such as these — eight-row chess, ten-row chess, chess in the air, hopscotch, spillikins, dice, stick games, hand-pictures, ball-games, blowing through toy pipes, playing with toy plows, turning somersaults, playing with toy windmills, toy measures, toy chariots, toy bows, guessing letters drawn in the air, guessing thoughts, mimicking deformities — he abstains from heedless and idle games such as these. This, too, is part of his virtue."
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Crazy cloud wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:10 am ok. thats pretty fine, but can you tell me where peace is to be found? :thinking:
You're on a theravada buddhist forum so I am assuming you have an idea..
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

bodom wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:00 am I like to play Madden NFL Football on my Playstation 4 once in awhile.

I'm such a hedonist!

You get more dhamma points for Madden. I played call of duty/black ops which I think Mara probably invented.
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

GTA 5 for me. That must of been invented by Mara's dad.
SDC

Post by SDC »

:D
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

dharmacorps wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:46 pm
Crazy cloud wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:10 am ok. thats pretty fine, but can you tell me where peace is to be found? :thinking:
You're on a theravada buddhist forum so I am assuming you have an idea..
I do have an idea, but you seem to think/assume otherwise, so that's the reason for asking you to clarify!?
If all that is true then you must be very afraid, very often. I hope you find some peace. :anjali:
If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

dylanj wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 pm stop playing them. renounce them all forever. it's the best & only real option
Very good advice! I deleted all the games, except for one. I'm playing it for four months, and finally reached a high level. This is a very good game.

This game is not peaceful. I want to reset all progress and uninstall, but I have no willpower. Reverting back from level 99 to level 1 means all my playing was in vain. I have these foolish thoughts. I will lose my base, all my "treasure", weapons, armor and everything.

Should I delete this heedless zombie game forever?
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

oncereturner wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 am
dylanj wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 pm stop playing them. renounce them all forever. it's the best & only real option
Very good advice! I deleted all the games, except for one. I'm playing it for four months, and finally reached a high level. This is a very good game.

This game is not peaceful. I want to reset all progress and uninstall, but I have no willpower. Reverting back from level 99 to level 1 means all my playing was in vain. I have these foolish thoughts. I will lose my base, all my "treasure", weapons, armor and everything.

Should I delete this heedless zombie game forever?
Yes you should :) I understand it is hard, I used to be a big gamer too. Actually right now I am using a gaming computer that I bought - but I have never played any games on it because soon after it arrived I decided I didn't want to become entangled again...It was a good decision despite the seeming "waste" of it. You could say this purchase was in vain...but if I had become engrossed in gaming again there'd be even more vanity, more of a waste.

You know what is best, it's just a matter of whether you can bring yourself to delight in following that choice as opposed to dwelling over what's occurred thus far. Either way I wish you the best. Anumodaana. :anjali:
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

oncereturner wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 am Should I delete this heedless zombie game forever?
I've kicked a lifelong habit a few years ago, and in the days after the change the mind said to mind: Remove all trophy's belonging to this criminal, because he might come back again and reclaim his possessions.

Be well!
If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters
bodom

Post by bodom »

dharmacorps wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:50 pm

I'm such a hedonist!

You get more dhamma points for Madden. I played call of duty/black ops which I think Mara probably invented.
Lol oh I definitely got down on some Black Ops.
These days it's pretty much just sports games.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

Crazy cloud wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:50 am
oncereturner wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 am Should I delete this heedless zombie game forever?
I've kicked a lifelong habit a few years ago, and in the days after the change the mind said to mind: Remove all trophy's belonging to this criminal, because he might come back again and reclaim his possessions.

Be well!
You mean my game character is a criminal? You are right, he's a mass killer, a " soldier of Mara ".

— SN 45.8