Online games addiction

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
oncereturner

Re: Online games addiction

Post by oncereturner »

dylanj wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 pm stop playing them. renounce them all forever. it's the best & only real option
Very good advice! I deleted all the games, except for one. I'm playing it for four months, and finally reached a high level. This is a very good game.

This game is not peaceful. I want to reset all progress and uninstall, but I have no willpower. Reverting back from level 99 to level 1 means all my playing was in vain. I have these foolish thoughts. I will lose my base, all my "treasure", weapons, armor and everything.

Should I delete this heedless zombie game forever?
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

oncereturner wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 am
dylanj wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 pm stop playing them. renounce them all forever. it's the best & only real option
Very good advice! I deleted all the games, except for one. I'm playing it for four months, and finally reached a high level. This is a very good game.

This game is not peaceful. I want to reset all progress and uninstall, but I have no willpower. Reverting back from level 99 to level 1 means all my playing was in vain. I have these foolish thoughts. I will lose my base, all my "treasure", weapons, armor and everything.

Yes you should :) I understand it is hard, I used to be a big gamer too. Actually right now I am using a gaming computer that I bought - but I have never played any games on it because soon after it arrived I decided I didn't want to become entangled again...It was a good decision despite the seeming "waste" of it. You could say this purchase was in vain...but if I had become engrossed in gaming again there'd be even more vanity, more of a waste.

You know what is best, it's just a matter of whether you can bring yourself to delight in following that choice as opposed to dwelling over what's occurred thus far. Either way I wish you the best. Anumodaana. :anjali:
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

oncereturner wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 am Should I delete this heedless zombie game forever?
I've kicked a lifelong habit a few years ago, and in the days after the change the mind said to mind: Remove all trophy's belonging to this criminal, because he might come back again and reclaim his possessions.

Be well!
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
bodom

Post by bodom »

dharmacorps wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:50 pm
bodom wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:00 am I like to play Madden NFL Football on my Playstation 4 once in awhile.

I'm such a hedonist!

:stirthepot:
You get more dhamma points for Madden. I played call of duty/black ops which I think Mara probably invented.
Lol oh I definitely got down on some Black Ops.
These days it's pretty much just sports games.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

Crazy cloud wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:50 am
oncereturner wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 am Should I delete this heedless zombie game forever?
I've kicked a lifelong habit a few years ago, and in the days after the change the mind said to mind: Remove all trophy's belonging to this criminal, because he might come back again and reclaim his possessions.

Be well!
You mean my game character is a criminal? You are right, he's a mass killer, a " soldier of Mara ".
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

dylanj wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:49 am
oncereturner wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 am

Yes you should :) I understand it is hard, I used to be a big gamer too. Actually right now I am using a gaming computer that I bought - but I have never played any games on it because soon after it arrived I decided I didn't want to become entangled again...It was a good decision despite the seeming "waste" of it. You could say this purchase was in vain...but if I had become engrossed in gaming again there'd be even more vanity, more of a waste.

You know what is best, it's just a matter of whether you can bring yourself to delight in following that choice as opposed to dwelling over what's occurred thus far. Either way I wish you the best. Anumodaana. :anjali:
In my anger, I throwed my mobile to the ground several times, when I died in the game. Fortunately it's still working. Previously hit my keyboard while playing computer games, when losing. As progressing in dhamma, I can handle my emotions. But I still can feel the stress which is caused by the game.

— SN 45.8
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

oncereturner wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:29 pm
Crazy cloud wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:50 am

Be well!
You mean my game character is a criminal? You are right, he's a mass killer, a " soldier of Mara ".
Where do you feel the dividing line beween you and your avatar is running?

I don't like to mean anything special, just sharing experiences.
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

Crazy cloud wrote:

I can see my character from a bird's eye view, there's a distance. This idle game is called Last day on earth survival. I neglected my tasks, meditation, household job while playing. I use it to distract myself form the harsh reality.

— SN 45.8
auto

Post by auto »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia
Synesthesia is a perceptual phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.
Just cultivate, focus these second sensory pathway experiences. You can start correlate with knowledge in general. Whatever it is stimulating your first sensory cognitive pathways.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

oncereturner wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:32 am
Crazy cloud wrote:

I can see my character from a bird's eye view, there's a distance. This idle game is called Last day on earth survival. I neglected my tasks, meditation, household job while playing. I use it to distract myself form the harsh reality.
Oh! I played it a little bit... Not easy as game because of it realism and i droped it (as all games) because of dukkha... ;)

Are you a "prepper" (survivalist)?
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

Yes I have a survivor character, also made the chopper. Wasted my Saturday with playing,

I guess Mara is laughing now. "I easily tempted this foolish dude again, he plays instead of practicing dhamma"

Mara:

— SN 45.8
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

You convinced me! I deleted the game, reverted all progress forever. I feel much better.

THANK YOU! :)

:namaste:

— SN 45.8
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Well done Retourner !!! :hug: :anjali: :twothumbsup:
oncereturner wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:37 pm Yes I have a survivor character, also made the chopper.
I used to be a prepper ^^ With food for several mounth, arms, water, medecine, communication etc...

It's pretty close to right view about anicca, but the very opposite about anatta... While Dhamma teach how to let all go and die with no accquisitions, survivalism tel you how to protect your life and not to die by acquisition of many sorts of objects :)
I had a question about being prepper and buddhist at the same time, i think to create a topic about it, perhaps there is some "enlightened preppers" ^^ :guns:
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

Nwad wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:09 am Well done Retourner !!! :hug: :anjali: :twothumbsup:
oncereturner wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:37 pm Yes I have a survivor character, also made the chopper.
I used to be a prepper ^^ With food for several mounth, arms, water, medecine, communication etc...

It's pretty close to right view about anicca, but the very opposite about anatta... While Dhamma teach how to let all go and die with no accquisitions, survivalism tel you how to protect your life and not to die by acquisition of many sorts of objects :)
I had a question about being prepper and buddhist at the same time, i think to create a topic about it, perhaps there is some "enlightened preppers" ^^ :guns:
Sorry, I didn't know what is prepper, but googled it. No, I'm not a prepper. :smile:

— SN 45.8
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

My friend. I have one last zombie shooter game on my online account. It's called dead target. I have a lot of "money and gold " in the game thanks to lot of playing and micro transactions. This is not so addictive, but very violent. It says "headshot for money" and and provides simple missions. It celebrates the Chinese new year with golden weapons. I agree with Virgo, I have to steam off after a stressful work. But there must be better ways to do it IMO. It causes adrenaline rush and high blood pressure.

Should I delete this too forever?

:thanks: :shrug:

— SN 45.8