Poll - If you had to kill in self-defense would you?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Locked

If you had to kill in self defense or to save others would you?

Yes
19
54%
No
16
46%
 
Total votes: 35

User avatar
No_Mind
Posts: 1911
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:12 pm
Location: India

Re: Poll - If you had to kill in self-defense would you?

Post by No_Mind » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:22 pm

binocular wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 am
Nwad wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:48 am
And if these ypung childrens on the beach was a bloody murderers in their past life abs the truck driver terrorist was a little girl beeing violated by them ?
Which is why it is so difficult to be the arbiter of justice, when one doesn't know other people's kamma, past, present, or future.

I have never found a more twisted interpretation of Dhamma than above.

I would not kill in self defense or to save others because it is sin/bad Kamma to kill and killing is breach of precept is perfectly acceptable.

But .. I would not help save others because I do not know their past lives Kamma and if they deserve to die .. is not in accordance with anything that is contained in Buddhism (or Hinduism or Jainism).

I find such novel interpretation of Dhamma to be both amusing and frightening.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

binocular
Posts: 5476
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Poll - If you had to kill in self-defense would you?

Post by binocular » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:35 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:22 pm
I have never found a more twisted interpretation of Dhamma than above.

I would not kill in self defense or to save others because it is sin/bad Kamma to kill and killing is breach of precept is perfectly acceptable.

But .. I would not help save others because I do not know their past lives Kamma and if they deserve to die .. is not in accordance with anything that is contained in Buddhism (or Hinduism or Jainism).

I find such novel interpretation of Dhamma to be both amusing and frightening.
I will not defend things you merely imagine I said.

:shrug:

User avatar
Nwad
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: Poll - If you had to kill in self-defense would you?

Post by Nwad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:49 pm

I think that our training is about self liberation, not about tibetain Bodhisatva vow to bring hapiness in a whole world. If we go in hell because of sense attachements it will be worst if we still pure and go to liberation.

But there will be a broblem - remorse about this event "i could save them, i didnt... etc" In anyway it will be a bad vipaka fruition in both cases. And this bad kamma comes from :
- sensual pleasures : i go on events where there is many peoples, joy, fun and sensual happiness - if i will rest at home and practice it would never heppen, and even better, if you dont watch tv/radio/news you will no even know about this horror and your mind will be even more peacefull...
- ill will : i have a gun/knife/something to kill beings - if i havn't possibility to kill someone and save others will not be here...

What is good to do, is not to kill the man who want to kill others, but to sacrifice your life to stop/prevent this man killing or to let a chance to other to escape because you cover them peacefully with 5 khandhas and mind full of compassion - kammic jack pot !!! :woohoo:

binocular
Posts: 5476
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Poll - If you had to kill in self-defense would you?

Post by binocular » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Nwad wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:49 pm
I think that our training is about self liberation, not about tibetain Bodhisatva vow to bring hapiness in a whole world.
It's not one's duty or responsibility to save others.
What is good to do, is not to kill the man who want to kill others, but to sacrifice your life to stop/prevent this man killing
How would that even be possible?
You think letting someone shoot you will make them stop shooting others?

Besides, martyrdom and self-sacrifice are alien to Theravada Buddhism.

User avatar
Nwad
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: Poll - If you had to kill in self-defense would you?

Post by Nwad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:17 pm

You can for exemple to block the door, or cover someone with your dead body :strawman: , make a diversion by making the noise in one place to let others in the opposite place to get out...

Bodhisatta Gotama does the martyr in many ocasions if i dont mistake :roll:

binocular
Posts: 5476
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Poll - If you had to kill in self-defense would you?

Post by binocular » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:00 pm

Nwad wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:17 pm
You can for exemple to block the door, or cover someone with your dead body :strawman: , make a diversion by making the noise in one place to let others in the opposite place to get out...
But none of that makes the shooter stop shooting.
Bodhisatta Gotama does the martyr in many ocasions if i dont mistake
He sure does. He's not the one we're looking up to.

Amanaki
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Poll - If you had to kill in self-defense would you?

Post by Amanaki » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:43 pm

No i would not kill in any situation. If human beings dies in a terror attack i would think it is because of karma related issue, But ofcourse i might be wrong

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests