Never again look for a sutta!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
No_Mind

Re: Never again look for a sutta!

Post by No_Mind » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:56 pm

binocular wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:40 pm
Remembering the right instruction at the right moment is a matter of life and death. So memorizing suttas is a matter of life and death.
I use these

https://appliedbuddhism.com/about-buddh ... mma-lists/

https://www.cheatography.com/davidpol/c ... he-dharma/

and pdf most important parts of ATI (say 100 pages) and store it in a phone.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:53 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:43 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:01 am
At my local monastery, Ajahn Sucitto is not going to think any the more of me just because I can parrot verses or recall on demand. He and the other monks treat people in the same coolly benevolent manner regardless of their behaviour. I can't think of a situation where sutta knowledge would benefit me because it does those things you specify.

"Fitting in" is not all that important, so the benefits of reading, studying and learning suttas are low in that direction.
Your local monastery is Chithurst Buddhist Monastery. Wow .... I am jealous and envious and covetous.

:namaste:
Yes, I'm lucky to live near Chithurst - it's a lovely place. Ajahn Sucitto is more often travelling than resident, however, these days.

Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:17 pm

binocular wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:04 am
Greetings,

I hereby challenge everyone to become an highly organized reader of suttas, so that nobody ever again looks for a sutta.
This means that I challenge everyone, including myself, to make notes when reading suttas, and then to systemize those notes, so that nothing gets lost ever again.

Who's with me?

:tongue: :woohoo: :guns:

:meditate:
If you need somebody with you, you're already headed in the wrong direction. :shrug: