Drop in, drop out, drop in, drop out...

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Drop in, drop out, drop in, drop out...

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:54 pm

Greetings,

No one (except maybe Sarath!) is logged in at Dhamma Wheel 24/7. We all have periods where we are more active, and less active.

I just wanted to start a topic for us to reflect on what factors cause us to get on a roll with participation, and those which cause us to drop away.

I'll start...

What causes me to increase my participation?
- The presence of interesting topics and participation in them
- Periods of increased Buddhist study, enthusiasm and commitment
- The need for mod/admin tasks that exceed the usual level

What causes me to decrease my participation?
- Increased attention on "breaking news" or cricket (in the Summer)
- Family commitments
- A focus on hobbies (incl. music, DJing)
- Periods of disinclination to speak, because I couldn't be bothered dealing with others reactions to it

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

dharmacorps

Re: Drop in, drop out, drop in, drop out...

Post by dharmacorps » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:51 am

Good thread!

Good, thoughtful threads with considered, thoughtful responses. Good hearted exchange of information, resources, dhamma-- shared books, resources, etc. Personal experiences, particularly with struggles on the path, often find me checking back more often and posting more. I've made connections with some excellent people on this forum who truly inspire me! When they post, I tend to post more too.

Seeing a spate of harshly worded, poorly considered threads (something like "lets have an argument because I have something to prove) or responses will often make me log in less often. This includes political/self righteous anger, clinging to views, battling others with different views, etc. I tend to stay away if I feel it is effecting my practice.

I definitely understand this is not my forum, and I can only speak as a user, but it seems to me largely the people here with an axe to grind are few, and I do from time to time wonder why there isn't more moderation of these few, but again, I understand I am a visitor here. :namaste:

Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:49 am

Considering the nature of practice for many of us I'm surprised not to see under "What causes me to decrease my participation?" something along the lines of...

- Retreats or increased Buddhist meditation practice, enthusiasm and commitment.

Certainly that can take me out of forum activity for a few weeks at a time, other times it can be too much screentime at work leading to the desire to avoid it at home, or a combination of any of the other factors you mentioned.

Probably the single biggest factor leading to increased activity is going through a period of not being busy enough at work and so having a bit more time and energy for forum discussions or study.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah

perkele

Post by perkele » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:14 am

I read DhammaWheel almost everyday, mostly just a quick look in and out (and usually several times a day).

I look mostly at threads whose titles catch my interest or which have been posted by people whose perspectives have caught my interest in the past (and whom I have affection for). I want to follow their thoughts. Topics of interest are many. Dhamma questions with relation to personal experience are most interesting when they relate to my own experience. Political questions or topics about what's going on in the world are interesting to see others opinions and perspectives.

I log in to say something when I can simply answer a question or when I disagree with someone strongly enough and think I have a valid counter to to challenge their wrong opinion, or when I can speak from my rich experience of failure in life, or when I see good opportunity for trolling around.

What decreases my participation? That would be: having something more important to do and actually doing it. Because life is always troublesome.
Goofaholix wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:49 am
Considering the nature of practice for many of us I'm surprised not to see under "What causes me to decrease my participation?" something along the lines of...
Probably the single biggest factor leading to increased activity is going through a period of not being busy enough at work and so having a bit more time and energy for forum discussions or study.
Exactly.

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:23 pm

Good, thoughtful threads with considered, thoughtful responses. Good hearted exchange of information, resources, dhamma-- shared books, resources, etc.in short, where I can learn or participate in a community.

What causes me to decrease my participation? Provocative posts designed to spread political propaganda or animosity. seeing hatred, or harshly worded, poorly considered, aggressive responses esp. on the dhamma.

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:36 pm

In this order

- Keeps me focused on the Dhamma for long periods of time
- Skirmish debating practice

im done studying, moved on to practice, analyzing, teaching, translating and memorizing nowadays.

- When administration unrightfully silenced and deactivated my account in 2017 as we were discussing psychiatry and meditation.

who u guys think u are seriously? way too much power in hands of a few (1 or is it 2? im not sure), 1 is not even a Theravada Buddhist?
This was a big loss for me personally and i dare assume it was a loss for others who were appreciating my posts not to mention the party that was defending the position i took which are many people who were effectively denied representation on a forum that claims to be "Dhammawheel"(you guys are thieves in the Dhamma, rename it to DNS&Co imo)!

Did i mention DNS owns the sister site of Mahayana, so i ask who is here in position to Unite Mahayana and Buddhist communities at least virtually under the same banner of Buddhism with Mahayana and Theravada sub forums for those who want to discuss these concepts?

Who is in position to add up and down votes and change policy to combat trolling?

Who is opposed to improving the platform?

Christian forums have same issues but have become aware of these things more so than the Buddhists.

- Sensuality (reading, people visiting, etc)
- Bio breaks
- Lab work (meditation)

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:53 pm

rightviewftw wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:36 pm
- When administration unrightfully silenced and deactivated my account in 2017 as we were discussing psychiatry and meditation.
IIRC, there were several reports from members about your posts and when a moderator asked for clarification you requested your account to be deactivated. I don't recall any moderator banning you or suspending you.

edit: Indeed, I just looked it up and see that in July 2017 you asked for your account to be deleted and I informed you that we don't delete accounts, but that we can deactivate it, which you then requested.

And a few years before that, you had asked a previous admin for a special topic to be set up to post your blog type messages and when that admin said no, you also left the forum for some time.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Caodemarte wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:23 pm
What causes me to decrease my participation? Provocative posts designed to spread political propaganda or animosity. seeing hatred, or harshly worded, poorly considered, aggressive responses esp. on the dhamma.
Yes, see the current Study Group Sutta:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=31163
“Bhikkhus, possessing ten qualities, one is deposited in hell as if brought there. What ten?
(5) “He speaks divisively. Having heard something here, he repeats it elsewhere in order to divide those people from these; or having heard something elsewhere, he repeats it to these people in order to divide them from those. Thus he is one who divides those who are united, a creator of divisions, one who enjoys factions, rejoices in factions, delights in factions, a speaker of words that create factions.

(6) “He speaks harshly. He utters such words as are rough, hard, hurtful to others, offensive to others, bordering on anger, unconducive to concentration.

(7) “He indulges in idle chatter. He speaks at an improper time, speaks falsely, speaks what is unbeneficial, speaks contrary to the Dhamma and the discipline; at an improper time he speaks such words as are worthless, unreasonable, rambling, and unbeneficial.
... .
Best to ignore people who speak thus, I think...

:heart:
Mike

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:04 pm

No one (except maybe Sarath!) is logged in at Dhamma Wheel 24/7.
Yes, I spent a lot of time in Dhamma Wheel.
This is my virtual temple. I come here to keep away from the mundane world.
Even here there is no escape from that as I continue a drag into discussions such as politics and economics.
In the past, I found the interactions with some people are unbearable.
What keeps me going was now and then I manage to pick up some gems.
Even a gold prospector has to seek through a ton of rubble to get an ounce of gold.
Lately, I manage to improve my meditation and enjoy more happiness from that.
Perhaps you might see I have decreased my participation here even though I continue to browse the forum on a daily basis.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:05 pm

What causes me to decrease participation: Getting banned for criticizing Nanavira, Nanamoli or Nanananda

SDC

Post by SDC » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 pm

Circle5 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:05 pm
What causes me to decrease participation: Getting banned for criticizing Nanavira, Nanamoli or Nanananda
You keep telling this story and maybe one day enough of the people who know the truth will be gone from the forum and you can actually convince people that it is real. But until then I will be here to remind them that you were never banned for your critiques of the above nor of Goenka - if you had been then those threads would have been removed. Yet they are all still there. Is that a fact? Yes it is a fact. All of your threads critiquing approaches you disagree with are all still there. You were banned for both circumventing your discipline and taking your "critiques" to the level of vilification. You seem to have learned where the line is now which is why you are still posting.

Any questions? So sad we have to keep revisiting this.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 pm

Greetings Circle5,
Circle5 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:05 pm
For the record, you were never banned for this.

I say that more for the benefit of other members, since you have been told this now multiple times, but regrettably you're so fixed in your view that there is no point trying to explain it to you again.

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)