Has anyone done meditation while pregnant?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
LG2V

Has anyone done meditation while pregnant?

Post by LG2V »

I'm a guy, but I'm curious if any ladies here have done it, and if there were noticeable effects on your children after they were born. I remember that my mom told me she watched trivia shows (Jeopardy, in particular) while she was pregnant with me. Maybe I got my smarts from that, but to be fair my parents were already smart too.

Some women work out and do fitness routines while pregnant. Others are professors and teachers. And I suspect that a mother's habitual actions will have an effect on a child's disposition. So, I'm curious as to what meditation would do for a child.

Anyone have a good story?
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone done meditation while pregnant?

Post by DNS »

My wife meditated during both of her pregnancies. For one of them she was meditating in a group setting at a Buddhist meditation program and then about a few hours after it ended, she went into labor.

She also played classical music around her, which some have suggested helps make some brain connections in the fetus for improving intelligence.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I was on a 10 day Vipassana course with a pregnant woman. She miscarried and the baby died, on day 5 or 6. I drove with her to the hospital.
Two years later she returned, did another course while pregnant, had a miscarriage during the course again, and the baby died. Again!
This is my only experience of pregnancy and meditation.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

It is customary for Sri Lankan's to get Angulimala Sutta chanted by a monk when a female is pregnant.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:29 pm I was on a 10 day Vipassana course with a pregnant woman. She miscarried and the baby died, on day 5 or 6. I drove with her to the hospital.
Two years later she returned, did another course while pregnant, had a miscarriage during the course again, and the baby died. Again!
Thanks for posting this.
Perhaps tend day Vipassana is to strenuous for a pregnant female.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

DNS wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:26 pm My wife meditated during both of her pregnancies. For one of them she was meditating in a group setting at a Buddhist meditation program and then about a few hours after it ended, she went into labor.

She also played classical music around her, which some have suggested helps make some brain connections in the fetus for improving intelligence.
Wow, that's cool. I'm sure that your kids must be smart because their parents are. It would be cool if the meditation gave them a bit of a boost, too. :D
JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:29 pm I was on a 10 day Vipassana course with a pregnant woman. She miscarried and the baby died, on day 5 or 6. I drove with her to the hospital.
That's really unfortunate. I'll make sure to tread with caution around pregnant women and retreats, although her case may just be a rare instance.
SarathW wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:10 am It is customary for Sri Lankan's to get Angulimala Sutta chanted by a monk when a female is pregnant.
That's cool.
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
thepea

Post by thepea »

I’m a dude but I see lots of preggos on retreats usually one on every course.
They all seem smiley afterwards.