Timber Hawkeye & minimalist living

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Timber Hawkeye & minimalist living

Post by DNS »

binocular wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:09 pm You still have to pay for the gasoline, the propane, the water, the batteries, and you have to dump your waste water and your garbage somewhere (so that someone else pays for them?).

I haven't researched this in detail, but roughly, it seems that it would be cheaper to pay for the kitchen gas, electricity, and water in an ordinary house or apartment, than to buy them in relatively small amounts for the RV.
You're probably right, because that is not even counting the RV park hookup fees, which can run about $35 a day or over $900 per month. Even without hooking up to an RV park, then you need to find a safe place to park, still need to find water, a place to dump, gas, propane, as you said.

An RV can run without being plugged into electricity with the use of a generator, but that costs money too, with either propane or diesel. I think it might be one of those things that sounds great and idealistic in theory, but in practice, not very economical after all. I never tried full-time living in an RV, but my wife and I did own an RV (for short, one week trips) in the past and after we calculated all the costs (the vehicle, the gas, propane, etc) and then even subtracted what we sold it for, it still came out to being more expensive than had we just gone to a 5-star hotel. :tongue:
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

This set-up seems to work well for this person, at this time in his life. He has an income that doesn't require "going to work" every day, so 5 t-shirts and a pair of jeans are sufficient. It leaves him time to spend doing laundry essentially by hand, etc. He is apparently single, seems to be healthy, strong, and agile. For others who don't have those same qualifications, the RV may not be a very realistic choice.

His attitude of "If I can do it, so can anyone else" is probably meant to be encouraging, but he comes across as a bit preachy.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Justsit wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:18 pmHis attitude of "If I can do it, so can anyone else" is probably meant to be encouraging, but he comes across as a bit preachy.
Yeah. It's rarely true that just because one person can do something, that means that anyone else can do it too.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Perhaps try to live like Jason Chan

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22188&hilit=
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
chownah

Post by chownah »

I think that the posts here have done a good job of showing the limitations of what the author has done in his own life to live simply.

I don't think that the author is saying that everyone can or should live like he does....and I think that in fact the author is of the view that each person who wants to simplify their life will have to find how to do this for their own situation.

Why do I think the author has these views? Simple, just go watch the first 30 seconds of the video......come on now.....it is only 30 seconds.

This video is not meant as an instruction set for minimal living.....it is just something to satisfy his readers who are curious about how he has implemented in his own personal life the things that he has advocated in his writings.....
chownah