Too much tech around us?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
No_Mind

Too much tech around us?

Post by No_Mind » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:11 am

I am by no means a Luddite .. I like useful apps like Uber .. I like useful tech based services like Airbnb

But is there not too much tech out there now?

Google has supposedly sold one Google Home Mini every second from October (here is a video for those who do not know what is a Google Home Mini)

Then there are its predecessors Amazon Echo and Google Home.

Why should I need a device to read me the newspaper .. I can read the newspaper or if I am making breakfast turn on the television (or radio) .. why should I need a device to order soap from a store .. visiting a shop/store to buy soap (among other stuff .. from cars to curry powder) is usually a refreshing experience .. we interact with people and that is how we stay sane and connected to society.

In case I cannot visit a store/shop, I can do order soap using a few clicks on my smartphone.

Is it not an indication of a dysfunctional human being if one has one of these machines?

:namaste:

No_MInd
I know one thing: that I know nothing

binocular

Re: Too much tech around us?

Post by binocular » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:05 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:11 am
Why should I need a device to read me the newspaper ..
/.../
Is it not an indication of a dysfunctional human being if one has one of these machines?
About ten years ago, I saw a feature on tv about smart homes -- like where you can remote control the lights and the heating in your house and such. And the presenter who spoke favorably about those things spoke in a tone of voice and manner as if he was a victim of existence and therefore, absolutely needed all those luxurious devices and that it was high time that they finally came to the market.

I felt two things at this: contempt for people who believe they need such things (and heated car seats and heated steering wheels); but also confusion because I couldn't (and still can't) figure out why any able-bodied ordinary person would want such things, and why able-bodied highly educated people (who are supposedly worth more than ordinary people) would want such things.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:44 pm

binocular wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:05 pm
I felt two things at this: contempt for people who believe they need such things (and heated car seats and heated steering wheels); but also confusion because I couldn't (and still can't) figure out why any able-bodied ordinary person would want such things, and why able-bodied highly educated people (who are supposedly worth more than ordinary people) would want such things.
Heated car seats I believe are necessary in colder climates like northern tier of USA, Canada, Germany, Korea .. much like an air conditioned car in India.

I am speaking of things like Fitbit .. which track steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes .. why on earth would anyone want to know that .. I have lost weight and I know the only thing needed is motivation to diet and exercise (and no Fitbit can give you motivation).

No_Mind

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:42 pm

I will play the devil advocate here, but in a very indirect way.

I love mechanical watches and i view them as art. The way each component complements the other in a way that gives precise time measurement fascinates me.

In the 1970s and 80s, the introduction of digital watches which are cheaper and more accurate than mechanical watches threatened the existence of the mechanical watches industry, but by the beginning of 1990s, appreciation of mechanical watches rose again and their prices started to surge.

For a watch collector, a watch is more than a device that gives time, its a work of an artist. Each company fabricates a movement in a different way, all using the same basic concept. Also there is the idea that mechanical watches take their movements from the movements of the body which makes a kind of connection between the owner of the watch and the watch itself.

I know for people who do not like watches, the above is a load of non-sense. I can spend $20-$30 on a digital watch which is more accurate, or i can even let go of watches altogether and use my cell phone to know the time.

Even though my hobby is the opposite of new tech, but i have sympathy because i have few friends who are fascinated by technology and the innovation included in it. You don't buy it because you need it, but because you like what it does or the way it functions, i guess! :tongue:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

Thisperson

Post by Thisperson » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:53 pm

Why drive to a store, when you can walk?

:shrug:

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Bundokji wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:42 pm
I will play the devil advocate here, but in a very indirect way.

I love mechanical watches and i view them as art. The way each component complements the other in a way that gives precise time measurement fascinates me.

Mechanical watches were/are engineering marvels (specially automatic winding) and also served an important purpose. It is important to know the time

But is it important to have a thingy called Google Home Mini which orders eggs .. when we already have another thingy (called smartphone) to control this thingy .. and that thingy called smartphone can order eggs.

No_Mind

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:11 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:59 pm
But is it important to have a thingy called Google Home Mini which orders eggs .. when we already have another thingy (called smartphone) to control this thingy .. and that thingy called smartphone can order eggs.
I can't read people's mind, but i don't think they buy the device because they are lazy to go to the market and buy eggs. The attachment, in my opinion, is to a certain perception, that the device/tech is cool :spy:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Bundokji wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:11 pm
No_Mind wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:59 pm
I can't read people's mind, but i don't think they buy the device because they are lazy to go to the market and buy eggs. The attachment, in my opinion, is to a certain perception, that the device/tech is cool :spy:
I am really getting old.

I thought the things which made one cool are money and brains. Honestly. A nice Merc S500 can make one look cool or a pair of $10,000 Bang and Olufsen speakers for the hi-fi .. but how can a cheap $50 piece of plastic garbage make anyone seem cool.

At last the generation gap which I had so much fought against succumbing to is showing through. I am getting old.

No_Mind

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:53 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:23 pm
I am really getting old.

I thought the things which made one cool are money and brains. Honestly. A nice Merc S500 can make one look cool or a pair of $10,000 Bang and Olufsen speakers for the hi-fi .. but how can a cheap $50 piece of plastic garbage make anyone seem cool.

At last the generation gap which I had so much fought against succumbing to is showing through. I am getting old.
You are not alone. Maybe what our generation viewed as smart is being replaced with "geek" which has a futuristic twist to it. The gap is not only in the items, but the self image associated with it.

Imagine a young man going to a date wearing a Rolex or an apple watch? for a young lady, the former might look old fashioned and pretentious while the later would look more up-to date and implies more open mindedness with a promising future! :toast:

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:31 am

Bundokji wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:53 pm
Imagine a young man going to a date wearing a Rolex or an apple watch?
Apple watch .. why do people use it .. to read sms using their watch and tell time using their cell phone. What a sad day for humanity.

No_Mind

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:09 pm

No_Mind wrote:Too much tech around us?
Definitely. While it enables mutual communication and development, it's corrupting and distorting our interaction with the world and each other, and I fear by the time the full effects are understood, it will be too late.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

binocular

Post by binocular » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:28 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:09 pm
Definitely. While it enables mutual communication and development, it's corrupting and distorting our interaction with the world and each other, and I fear by the time the full effects are understood, it will be too late.
But why?

It seems to me that the problems you describe arise only when people use modern technology haphazardly, without giving much (or any) thought to the mode of communication or other interaction for which they're using technologically advanced devices.

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:40 pm

binocular wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:28 pm
Pseudobabble wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:09 pm
But why?

It seems to me that the problems you describe arise only when people use modern technology haphazardly, without giving much (or any) thought to the mode of communication or other interaction for which they're using technologically advanced devices.
If I understood you correctly, yes exactly. We don't (in general) think about the full spectrum of the effects the use of technology has on us and our society, because these technological tools make our lives much easier from the perspective of the instrumental mind. We use them to serve what we perceive as our interests, without too much thought about what we don't know, and don't understand - I would call that haphazard.

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

binocular

Post by binocular » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:40 pm
If I understood you correctly, yes exactly. We don't (in general) think about the full spectrum of the effects the use of technology has on us and our society, because these technological tools make our lives much easier from the perspective of the instrumental mind. We use them to serve what we perceive as our interests, without too much thought about what we don't know, and don't understand - I would call that haphazard.
And to then say man is the beauty of the world ...

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:55 pm

binocular wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:45 pm
Pseudobabble wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:40 pm
And to then say man is the beauty of the world ...
Who said it? I think people are generally morons, myself included, but through no real fault of our own. We're just predisposed to certain behaviours which aren't always helpful.

binocular

Post by binocular » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:55 pm
Who said it?
For one, Hamlet. Although it seems he was mostly just trying to convince himself that man is the beauty of the world, while he apparently didn't really believe it.
But beyond that, people generally seem to have a very high esteem of themselves, or at least of the human race as such. Just watch any anthropological documentary and chances are that it will overflow with praise of humans.
I think people are generally morons, myself included, but through no real fault of our own. We're just predisposed to certain behaviours which aren't always helpful.
Hm. I'll have to think about this.

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 pm

binocular wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:42 pm

But beyond that, people generally seem to have a very high esteem of themselves, or at least of the human race as such. Just watch any anthropological documentary and chances are that it will overflow with praise of humans.

Haha yes, I have noticed this, and I always found it rather comical. Humans have a very high opinion of themselves, and it totally flies in the face of reality. But perhaps we need to have a good opinion of ourselves, to stave off the existential dread of being meatsacks in a huge and terrifying universe.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:04 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:31 am
Apple watch .. why do people use it .. to read sms using their watch and tell time using their cell phone. What a sad day for humanity.
I'm waiting for the day (I'm sure it's happened) when I see a group of young people eating lunch together. All of them are on their phones, checking texts, no one talking to others and then after some time, one guy says to the one across from him, "dude, did you just text me? I'm sitting right here."

binocular

Post by binocular » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 pm
Haha yes, I have noticed this, and I always found it rather comical. Humans have a very high opinion of themselves, and it totally flies in the face of reality. But perhaps we need to have a good opinion of ourselves, to stave off the existential dread of being meatsacks in a huge and terrifying universe.
But it's not working, is it ...

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:02 pm

binocular wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:40 pm
Pseudobabble wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 pm
But it's not working, is it ...
Well, practicing Buddhist meditation techniques, and educating myself and speculating ( :spy: ), and maintaining a sense of humour has gone a long way to diminishing that dread, at least for me.