Too much tech around us?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
binocular

Re: Too much tech around us?

Post by binocular » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:55 pm
Who said it?
For one, Hamlet. Although it seems he was mostly just trying to convince himself that man is the beauty of the world, while he apparently didn't really believe it.
But beyond that, people generally seem to have a very high esteem of themselves, or at least of the human race as such. Just watch any anthropological documentary and chances are that it will overflow with praise of humans.
I think people are generally morons, myself included, but through no real fault of our own. We're just predisposed to certain behaviours which aren't always helpful.
Hm. I'll have to think about this.

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 pm

binocular wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:42 pm

But beyond that, people generally seem to have a very high esteem of themselves, or at least of the human race as such. Just watch any anthropological documentary and chances are that it will overflow with praise of humans.

Haha yes, I have noticed this, and I always found it rather comical. Humans have a very high opinion of themselves, and it totally flies in the face of reality. But perhaps we need to have a good opinion of ourselves, to stave off the existential dread of being meatsacks in a huge and terrifying universe.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:04 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:31 am
Apple watch .. why do people use it .. to read sms using their watch and tell time using their cell phone. What a sad day for humanity.
I'm waiting for the day (I'm sure it's happened) when I see a group of young people eating lunch together. All of them are on their phones, checking texts, no one talking to others and then after some time, one guy says to the one across from him, "dude, did you just text me? I'm sitting right here."

binocular

Post by binocular » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 pm
Haha yes, I have noticed this, and I always found it rather comical. Humans have a very high opinion of themselves, and it totally flies in the face of reality. But perhaps we need to have a good opinion of ourselves, to stave off the existential dread of being meatsacks in a huge and terrifying universe.
But it's not working, is it ...

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:02 pm

binocular wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:40 pm
Pseudobabble wrote:
But it's not working, is it ...
Well, practicing Buddhist meditation techniques, and educating myself and speculating ( :spy: ), and maintaining a sense of humour has gone a long way to diminishing that dread, at least for me.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:20 pm

I think we do not have enough tech around us.
I am waiting for the day I can get a robot do my meditation and perhaps get enlightened for me.
Just joking.
They will produce because people buy it.
But sometimes you do not have a choice.
I did not want to use a mobile phone but I was forced to buy it.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

binocular

Post by binocular » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:02 pm
Pseudobabble wrote:
Well, practicing Buddhist meditation techniques, and educating myself and speculating ( :spy: ), and maintaining a sense of humour
One needs to have a good opinion of oneself to do those things!

atharva2k

Post by atharva2k » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:09 pm

DNS wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:04 pm
No_Mind wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:31 am
Apple watch .. why do people use it .. to read sms using their watch and tell time using their cell phone. What a sad day for humanity.
I'm waiting for the day (I'm sure it's happened) when I see a group of young people eating lunch together. All of them are on their phones, checking texts, no one talking to others and then after some time, one guy says to the one across from him, "dude, did you just text me? I'm sitting right here."

No need to wait, I've seen this scenario multiple times in the past few years with different groups of friends. It's a disaster. Except it's not texting anymore, it's Snapchat and Instagram.