Feeling Lost

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Warrior_monk1

Feeling Lost

Post by Warrior_monk1 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:02 pm

Dear friends,

For a while I feel very lost in my spiritual life. I have doubts about my life, I.E work and ofcourse what I want to do for a living. I feel very empty, and I feel lonely when I think about my future. In my daily life I do not speak with friends and I feel very ashamed about myself. A couple months ago I studied Computer Science, but that path was not meant to be. Before I studied Computer Science, I meditated, played sports (Kickboxing, boxing and MMA) and I read books. I was happy, but nowadays I feel that I have drifted from society. How can I regain clarity? How can I feel positive again?

JamesTheGiant

Re: Feeling Lost

Post by JamesTheGiant » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Anti-Rumination Strategies, meditation.
Exercise.
Light Exposure.
Social activity every day.
Good Sleep.

These are the 5 core things to do or change, in a therapy called "Therapeutic Lifestyle Change". It's good.

Garrib

Post by Garrib » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:08 pm

Do all the practical things you can think of (healthy diet, get up early, meditate, drink plenty of water, exercise - I think cardio in particular, and I would advise maybe not so much competitive/violent sports, but to each his own). Focus on sila - try to be as kind and patient as you possibly can. Recognize that there are difficult times in life, and less difficult times - both of which are impermanent, and unsatisfactory. I think we can actually gain insight from these kinds of experiences, as painful as they may be. That being said, you shouldn't dwell in unhealthy patterns of thought (negativity). Practice metta, karuna and in particular, mudita may be helpful to you now. Try to be around ethical and wise people, and limit your exposure to bad influences. In time, your situation is bound to change. Stay on the path and it will change for the better.

Merry Xmas,

Brad

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:21 pm

I would recomend you seak a medical professional as you may have developed depression. the other recomendations are sound but do seak support locally also.

BTW depression isn't just suicidal, or something to be ashamed of. I suspect I have actually been depressed for a number of years now and it acts up around this time of year the most.

With Metta
Cittasanto
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

Warrior_monk1

Post by Warrior_monk1 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:08 am

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:41 pm
Anti-Rumination Strategies, meditation.
Exercise.
Light Exposure.
Social activity every day.
Good Sleep.

These are the 5 core things to do or change, in a therapy called "Therapeutic Lifestyle Change". It's good.
These are good strategies. I hope I can exercise more, right now I’m jogging about 2 or 3 times a week? I hope I can apply meditation, walking in nature, and talking with people more often. Also a good sleep will help in my journey.
Garrib wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:08 pm
Do all the practical things you can think of (healthy diet, get up early, meditate, drink plenty of water, exercise - I think cardio in particular, and I would advise maybe not so much competitive/violent sports, but to each his own). Focus on sila - try to be as kind and patient as you possibly can. Recognize that there are difficult times in life, and less difficult times - both of which are impermanent, and unsatisfactory. I think we can actually gain insight from these kinds of experiences, as painful as they may be. That being said, you shouldn't dwell in unhealthy patterns of thought (negativity). Practice metta, karuna and in particular, mudita may be helpful to you now. Try to be around ethical and wise people, and limit your exposure to bad influences. In time, your situation is bound to change. Stay on the path and it will change for the better.

Merry Xmas,

Brad
I hope I can stay positive and be more positive on my daily life. I have noticed I need to be very careful about Mudita, I tend to listen to sad songs. That’s not positive af all right now. Merry Xmas, Brad!
Cittasanto wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:21 pm
I would recomend you seak a medical professional as you may have developed depression. the other recomendations are sound but do seak support locally also.

BTW depression isn't just suicidal, or something to be ashamed of. I suspect I have actually been depressed for a number of years now and it acts up around this time of year the most.

With Metta
Cittasanto
Maybe I will see a psychologist. Thank you!