Trump. And why I hate him.

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Bundokji

Re: Trump. And why I hate him.

Post by Bundokji » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:50 am

aflatun wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:52 pm
Keep up the good work DooDoot :twothumbsup:
I second that :heart:
ولَرُبَّ نَازِلَةٍ يَضِيقُ بهَا الفَضَـــــا *** ذَرْعًا؛ وعِندَ الله مِنهَا المَخْرَجُ
عَظُمَت فَلَما استُحكِمت حَلقاتها *** فُرِجت وكَانَ يَظُنُّهَا لا تُفْرَجُ
لا تَيْأَسَنَ فَكُلُ عُسْــــــرٍ بَعْــدَهُ *** يُسر يُسرّ ُبِهِ الفُؤَادُ المُحَرَّجُ
واصبر فَإِنَّ الصَــــــبر في الدُّنْيَا *** نَيْلُ المُنَى والقَصْدُ نِعْمَ المْنهجُ

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:00 am

chownah wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:48 am
lyndon taylor wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:39 pm
I don't think its wrong to hate evil!!
Which will suffer most, you or evil?
chownah
:goodpost: I like it!

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:22 am

I think I will suffer less if I hate evil, If I love evil I'm bound to suffer!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

binocular

Post by binocular » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:32 am

Does Mara suffer?

Should we sympathize with Mara?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:36 am

Greetings,

Aversion is akusala, whether one regards it as righteous or not.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:10 am

lyndon taylor wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:39 pm
I don't think its wrong to hate evil!!
Dhammapada Yamakavagga 5 wrote:Hostilities aren't stilled
through hostility,
regardless.
Hostilities are stilled
through non-hostility:
this, an unending truth.
Sorry Lyndon.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:32 am

I think from a Buddhist perspective, hating evil is better than loving Trump!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:48 am

Greetings,
lyndon taylor wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:32 am
From a Buddhist perspective, hate is evil.

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:01 am

Loving Trump is evil too.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:06 am

Greetings Lyndon,

If it's "love" borne of attachment and greed, then it may well be.

Yet, if it's borne of openness / loving-kindess, compassion or wisdom, then it's a very good thing.

Metta,

binocular

Post by binocular » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:12 am

lyndon taylor wrote:
There are far more options than just either "hate evil" or "love Trump." If nothing else, one can be indifferent to Trump.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:03 am

binocular wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:12 am
lyndon taylor wrote:
There are far more options than just either "hate evil" or "love Trump." If nothing else, one can be indifferent to Trump.
Maybe you're not one of the people that stands to directly suffer from Trump's policies, I am!!

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:13 am

lyndon taylor wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:03 am
binocular wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:12 am
lyndon taylor wrote:
Maybe you're not one of the people that stands to directly suffer from Trump's policies, I am!!
That is fair enough - it's very very difficult not to feel animosity toward someone who is harming you, your life, your options.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:14 am

Its not just me, he's harming most of the people in this country, while his super rich friends get all the benefits taken from the rest of us.

binocular

Post by binocular » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:39 pm

True. But how does hating Trump make anything better for you?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:55 pm

Greetings Lyndon,
lyndon taylor wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:03 am
I'm just curious which policy or outcome of the Trump presidency is causing you to suffer? Is it...

- The highest unemployment rates since 2001?
- The lowest consumer confidence since 2001?
- The record low Dow?
- That your 401K took a pummelling?
- That your tax rate is being increased?
- That the national debt is rising?
- The new wars Trump has started?
- The weak and sluggish GDP growth?
- The decline in race relations?
- The increase in people dependent upon food stamps?

... or is it something else?

:shrug:

Metta,

pulga

Post by pulga » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:07 pm

I'm by no means rich, but I'm disgusted that if this tax bill passes and the standard deduction is doubled I'm going to get a sizeable increase in my tax refund.

alan

Post by alan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:22 am

My good friend Retro: I have to disagree on two points. One: you said "Hate is evil". I see no reason to support this.
Also, the list of al the great economic situations is true, but most were created by policies put in place by the previous administration.
As we all know, there are lagging statistics. It takes time for new policies to take affect.
Oh, by the way--what are his new policies? If it passes, the new tax plan will be a huge transferee of wealth to the richest, and a massive decrease in investment for everyone else.

To others, who think that the very idea of criticism is always bad, I refer you to Suttas where the Buddha explicitley does so.

DooDoot, I'm not sure where you are coming from, or if you are worthy of a reply. No, change that. I don't think you are worthy of a reply, after looking at your posts.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:32 am

Greetings,
alan wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:22 am
My good friend Retro
Greeting there, Alan.
alan wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:22 am
...you said "Hate is evil". I see no reason to support this.
Ven K. Sri Dhammananda wrote:The performance of good actions gives rise to merit (punna), a quality which purifies and cleanses the mind. If the mind is unchecked, it has the tendency to be ruled by evil tendencies, leading one to perform bad deeds and getting into trouble. Merit purifies the mind of the evil tendencies of greed, hatred and delusion. The greedy mind encourages a person to desire, accumulate and hoard; the hating mind drags him to dislike and anger; and the deluded mind makes one become entangled in greed and hatred, thinking that these evil roots are right and worthy. Demeritorious deeds give rise to more suffering and reduce the opportunities for a person to know and practise the Dhamma.
Metta,

alan

Post by alan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:54 am

Not a Buddha quote, and besides that, there is no reason to think that an honest "hatred" of horrible things is always bad.
I think everyone needs a good basis of things that they need to fight against.