Trump. And why I hate him.

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Trump. And why I hate him.

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:00 am

Greetings Alan,
alan wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:54 am
Not a Buddha quote
If that's your preference...
AN 3.69: Mula Sutta wrote:"Aversion itself is unskillful. Whatever an aversive person fabricates by means of body, speech, or intellect, that too is unskillful. Whatever suffering an aversive person — his mind overcome with aversion, his mind consumed — wrongly inflicts on another person through beating or imprisonment or confiscation or placing blame or banishment, [with the thought,] 'I have power. I want power,' that too is unskillful. Thus it is that many evil, unskillful qualities — born of aversion, caused by aversion, originated through aversion, conditioned by aversion — come into play.

"Delusion itself is unskillful. Whatever a deluded person fabricates by means of body, speech, or intellect, that too is unskillful. Whatever suffering a deluded person — his mind overcome with delusion, his mind consumed — wrongly inflicts on another person through beating or imprisonment or confiscation or placing blame or banishment, [with the thought,] 'I have power. I want power,' that too is unskillful. Thus it is that many evil, unskillful qualities — born of delusion, caused by delusion, originated through delusion, conditioned by delusion — come into play.
alan wrote:
...and besides that, there is no reason to think that an honest "hatred" of horrible things is always bad. .
Should I merge your splinter topic into this one, as they're starting to look remarkably similar?
alan wrote:
I think everyone needs a good basis of things that they need to fight against.
I disagree. The Dhamma is about renunciation, not activism.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

alan

Post by alan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:06 am

But, is renunciation the answer in the face of such an obvious, and debilitating, attack on the truth?

alan

Post by alan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:08 am

One that has the potential to upend our world for the worse?
Against those who would use hatred as a tool, is it not right to hate that hatred, and work for the better good?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:09 am

(I know you've amended your post, but I've constructed a reply to what you wrote originally, so please allow me to paste it here before addressing your updated post...)

Greetings Alan,
alan wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:04 am
But, there can be activism in renunciation of false narratives, hatred, and untruths.
Right?
You tell me... it's your proposition.

What I will say though, is that the path of the Dhamma is about attaining the cessation of action (kamma). Good actions are required in order to get there, but the trajectory goes against action in the long term...
AN 4.232 wrote:"And what is kamma that is neither dark nor bright with neither dark nor bright result, leading to the ending of kamma? The intention right there to abandon this kamma that is dark with dark result... this kamma that is bright with bright result... this kamma that is dark & bright with dark & bright result. This is called kamma that is neither dark nor bright with neither dark nor bright result, leading to the ending of kamma."
Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:14 am

Greetings Alan,
Alan wrote:But, is renunciation the answer in the face of such an obvious, and debilitating, attack on the truth?
Truth is good, and praised, but the best truths of all are noble ones which lead to the cessation of suffering. Arguing over worldly "truths" not connected to that goal can actually increase suffering, if there is lack of mental discipline.
Alan wrote:One that has the potential to upend our world for the worse?
There are different takes on what constitutes "better" or "worse"... particularly as it pertains to politics, and the world-views of those at different parts of the political spectrum.
Alan wrote:Against those who would use hatred as a tool, is it not right to hate that hatred, and work for the better good?
Dhammapada wrote:5. Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal.
6. There are those who do not realize that one day we all must die. But those who do realize this settle their quarrels.
It is good to be free from quarrels.

Metta,

alan

Post by alan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:20 am

Here is my definition of "worse":
We live in a world in which The President of the United States is a Russian agent. He was compromised years ago. He is now working on the behest of Putin. And Yes, I am angry.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:21 am

Greetings Alan,
alan wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:20 am
Here is my definition of "worse":
We live in a world in which The President of the United States is a Russian agent. He was compromised years ago. He is now working on the behest of Putin. And Yes, I am angry.
I don't mean to sound disrespectful Alan, but it sounds like you've been watching a little bit too much Rachel Maddow.

Perhaps renouncing MSNBC might help?

Metta,

alan

Post by alan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:24 am

Rachel is a once in a generation talent. She tells the truth.

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:30 am

Trump is there to annoy those who care about the world

because you should not care
Last edited by cappuccino on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
neither eternal identity, nor annihilation

alan

Post by alan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:33 am

Although, if you put me on TV, I would also kick some ass. Because I am all about telling the truth.
I could so kick the asses of those FOX propaganda Bulls*t people.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:34 am

Greetings Alan,
alan wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:33 am
Although, if you put me on TV, I would also kick some ass.
I would watch your show.

Metta,

alan

Post by alan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:42 am

On my show, I will tell the truth.
Give me ten minutes alone with Sean Hannity, I will kick his ass.
Because that guy needs a good kick in the ass.
And I am the one to do it.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:01 am

Greetings Alan,

You're more likely to get on Tucker Carlson Tonight... maybe get in touch with them?

Metta,

alan

Post by alan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:03 am

They don't like me!
I have a big problem--can't go on TV and lie.

alan

Post by alan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:18 am

Who is Tucker Carlson, and how did he get a show?
I think he is just a stupid loser. He got the show because he would say what the FOX Propaganda network wanted him to say.
Who is he?
Tell you what I am--much smarter than that guy. Give me a show. And I will just so totally kick his ass.