DhammaWheel UK Retreats

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Pseudobabble

DhammaWheel UK Retreats

Post by Pseudobabble »

Hi Wheelers,

I am planning a series of personal retreats in 2018, ranging from 2 nights over a weekend, to a week, maybe even two if I can wangle the timing. I will be going one weekend a month, at least.

I was wondering if any island dwelling freewheelers would be interested in joining me? EDIT: Obviously global wheelers are also welcome, if you can make it!

The plan is, depending on conditions, to book an AirBnB cottage or similar, or go camping ('roots of trees', perhaps even 'empty dwellings' :D ). Exact location would be dependent on the locations of interested parties, though I'm looking at forests, moors, empty places basically. If there was enough interest to warrant it, we could club together and rent a larger accommodation.

I will not be teaching anything (lol!!) or acting in any capacity other than organiser and meditator, though if there was any interest, I could try to organise a monk from Amaravati to come and give Dhamma talks and meditation instructions.

Everyone would be free to do their own meditation, and I'm not planning a Dhamma-fascist silent retreat, complete with wardens, though there will certainly be no 'News & Current Events' forum, so to speak. I think there could be much to gain from talking with other dedicated practitioners.

If this is in the wrong place, apologies (I figured people would see it here), or if this is not allowed (how??), please do the necessary.

Lastly, something to whet the appetite:

"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: DhammaWheel UK Retreats

Post by Sam Vara »

I would certainly be interested, although I would need to plan carefully to fit around family commitments.

I don't know about "whetting the appetite". Some of those pictures certainly remind me of being wet, with an appetite.
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:25 am I would certainly be interested, although I would need to plan carefully to fit around family commitments.

I don't know about "whetting the appetite". Some of those pictures certainly remind me of being wet, with an appetite.
Great! As far as timing goes, I'm very flexible, just can't do work week unless I take holiday. Let's see if there are any other members interested, and then we can get down to dates and locations.

EDIT: I am also no fan of sitting down with a wet arse - we'll make sure its warm and dry, at least inside!

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Interesting idea. I am not able but interested in how things develop
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Pseudobabble wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:30 am
Sam Vara wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:25 am I would certainly be interested, although I would need to plan carefully to fit around family commitments.

Great! As far as timing goes, I'm very flexible, just can't do work week unless I take holiday. Let's see if there are any other members interested, and then we can get down to dates and locations.

EDIT: I am also no fan of sitting down with a wet arse - we'll make sure its warm and dry, at least inside!
There's also the possibility of a monastic from Chithurst, which I live very near to.
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

Cittasanto wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:32 am Interesting idea. I am not able but interested in how things develop
Cool - I really hope it works. If you're really at Ellan Vannin, we could conceivably do one near you?

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:35 am
Pseudobabble wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:30 am

There's also the possibility of a monastic from Chithurst, which I live very near to.
Aha, good idea -I'll keep that in mind. The South Downs aren't far from you, or we could even make it to Dartmoor or Exmoor.

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Pseudobabble wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:37 am
Cittasanto wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:32 am Interesting idea. I am not able but interested in how things develop
Cool - I really hope it works. If you're really at Ellan Vannin, we could conceivably do one near you?
I do live on the Isle.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

Cittasanto wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:55 am
I do live on the Isle.
Great, I'm sure there are some lovely spots there that could work.

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Pseudobabble wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:10 pm
Cittasanto wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:55 am

I do live on the Isle.
Great, I'm sure there are some lovely spots there that could work.
For a suitable property... I would think there are a few and there is the farmstay places that would have plenty of room for walking meditation...

John Stuart Mill
Alexander____

Post by Alexander____ »

Keep me posted!
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

Alexander____ wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:26 pm Keep me posted!
I certainly will.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I live in Suffolk but could travel. We now have electric, and trains, and suchloike. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:13 am I live in Suffolk but could travel. We now have electric, and trains, and suchloike. :tongue:
Excellent!