Does anyone know about 'e-paper e-readers'? Recommendations would be appreciated

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
manas

Does anyone know about 'e-paper e-readers'? Recommendations would be appreciated

Post by manas »

Hello everyone,
my eyes are still having problems, and the light from the computer screen doesn't do them any good. I am looking for an e-reader that:

1.uses 'e ink / e paper' (I hear that is much easier on the eyes)
2. has a large screen, the larger the better
3. can connect to the Internet and access sites such as ATI and other sites like it (is that even possible with an e-reader?)
4. just uses black and white for clarity - I don't want images, in fact I would much prefer one that is incapable of displaying images at all.

I know this might be a big ask, but if anyone could advise me of the best fit regarding my request, I would be very grateful, thank you :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
JamesTheGiant

Re: Does anyone know about 'e-paper e-readers'? Recommendations would be appreciated

Post by JamesTheGiant »

The old Kindle DX does all those things, and it's BIG for an e-reader. Not as big as my 10.5" tablet, but still 9.7", that's huge for an e-reader.
It does have a primitive web browser, and the 3G models have a free internet connection so you have free internet everywhere.
There are some on Ebay, including brand new ones.
You can make the text as large as you like for Mobi ebooks and similar, but for PDFs it's inconvenient, so PDFs are best read on a computer or large tablet.
The keyboard can be used for typing very slowly. The buttons are chunky and not very sensitive.
It's old technology but still does what it is designed for perfectly.
When I saw one on the train, I joked to the woman reading it that she'd have to stoke it with coal to get it to work.
Aloka

Re: Does anyone know about 'e-paper e-readers'? Recommendations would be appreciated

Post by Aloka »

manas wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:04 am
my eyes are still having problems, and the light from the computer screen doesn't do them any good.
Have you tried an anti-glare screen and/or a coloured overlay, eg blue?

I had problems with excessive screen brightness on my new laptop, so I put an anti -glare screen over it and also a sheet of clear blue overlay and its fine now.

:anjali:
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

I have Kindle Paperwhite. The screen is not big (6 inch) but I like it because it's handy.
denise

Post by denise »

love the Kindle paperwhite as well..... :heart:
manas

Post by manas »

It's easier for me at this time, to just collectively thank everyone for their replies. :anjali: I like the look of the large reader James posted, I will search for one on ebay. Regarding 'paperwhite', I did read a review of it that was favorable (I think they said you can store and listen to mp3's on it, also? If so, that could sway me in that direction, also). On that note, assuming the upcoming surgery to correct my vision problem succeeds (and in most cases, it does) then I might not need the largest screen possible after all...anyway my thanks once again, I've got a few personal recommendations and for me, that helps a lot (there are so many out there, a non-tech-savvy like myself, can get overwhelmed...)

metta :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
manas

Post by manas »

Aloka wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:52 am
Have you tried an anti-glare screen and/or a coloured overlay, eg blue?

I had problems with excessive screen brightness on my new laptop, so I put an anti -glare screen over it and also a sheet of clear blue overlay and its fine now.

:anjali:
thanks, I will check this out .
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

manas wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:04 am Hello everyone,
my eyes are still having problems, and the light from the computer screen doesn't do them any good. I am looking for an e-reader that:

1.uses 'e ink / e paper' (I hear that is much easier on the eyes)
2. has a large screen, the larger the better
3. can connect to the Internet and access sites such as ATI and other sites like it (is that even possible with an e-reader?)
4. just uses black and white for clarity - I don't want images, in fact I would much prefer one that is incapable of displaying images at all.

I know this might be a big ask, but if anyone could advise me of the best fit regarding my request, I would be very grateful, thank you :anjali:

Hi Manas,

1. Almost all eBook readers use "e ink" these days.
2. eBook readers that have large screens are EXTREMELY expensive.
3. The Amazon Kindle Paperwhite can connect to sites and even has an limited web browser
4. The Amazon Kindle Paperwhite is all black and white

I recently bought my first eBook reader.

I chose the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite

1. It is extremely easy on the eyes. You can adjust the fonts and the brightness. 300 dpi rendering
2. It is a pretty optimal size for my hands. Very comfortable to hold and read with. I can stick it in the pocket of a jacket.
3. It has a built in dictionary, just highlight and press on the word.
4. You can take notes by highlight any text you want to see later, and it will put it in a special file for you.
5. You can charge it with any standard phone charger our USB cable. One charge lasts for weeks.
6. You can transfer data to and from it, with any standard USB cable made for mobile devices.
7. It has an email address so that if you have a file you want to convert to ebook format, you email to your reader, Amazon intercepts and converts it, and then sends it to your Paperwhite. It does a decent job with Buddhist PDFs I got off of the Internet.
8. If you are an Amazon Prime member there is a large collection of ebooks you can download freely
9. It is moderately priced at $120. I got mine on a Black Friday sale for $90. You can find refurbished ones for cheap.
10. Amazon supports its eBook readers very, very well. I recently read an article in a tech magazine where the author bought a 10 year old original model Kindle and was able to shop on Amazon with it, download books, and read them.

The only thing you will not like about is that the screen isn't large. It is a perfect size for pleasure reading, but I wouldn't want to study a text book with it though.

When you do get an eBook reader download the free software Calibre to your computer. It is excellent at converting formats, except for PDF.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
mal4mac

Post by mal4mac »

If money is a problem - I have a basic Kindle and I'm very happy with it and my cheap desk lamp.

If money isn't a problem, and size really is important - the very latest Kindle Oasis looks good (it's an inch bigger, 7", boasts about its Audible features, and various ways it enhances the reading experience.)

There's a "send to Kindle" app that(usually) works very well to send the web page you are reading to the Kindle. Just click a button in the browser and job done.
- Mal
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:00 am The old Kindle DX does all those things, and it's BIG for an e-reader.
I got my first eBook reader, a Kindle Paperwhite a few weeks ago and really like it. I don't think it would be good for reading technical manuals and text books due to the small size ( which is a plus in several other areas ). I did not know of the existence of the Kindle DX until now. Thanks for posting!
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19