how to meet buddhist singles

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Sovatthika

how to meet buddhist singles

Post by Sovatthika » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:58 pm

now that i've essentially given up on hookups, according to my recent post, but i'm not committed to full celibacy and i don't know what i could have in common enough with any puthujjanas to start dating them i wondered if there was anything like a buddhist dating site. i didn't actually really wonder that more of a joke but btw is there anything like that
anyway this thread is supposed to be a joke but also there could be a good discussion here
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

Garrib

Re: how to meet buddhist singles

Post by Garrib » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Sovatthika wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:58 pm
now that i've essentially given up on hookups, according to my recent post, but i'm not committed to full celibacy and i don't know what i could have in common enough with any puthujjanas to start dating them i wondered if there was anything like a buddhist dating site. i didn't actually really wonder that more of a joke but btw is there anything like that
anyway this thread is supposed to be a joke but also there could be a good discussion here
I think people sometimes meet at meditation groups - but you probably shouldn't go there with that kind of single minded purpose...but there are people out there around your age in the same boat (obviously).

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:24 am

but btw is there anything like that
anyway this thread is supposed to be a joke
I think this is a great idea to attract more members.
Perhaps we should have a separate sub-index for singles to mingle.
:tongue:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:50 am

Lots of single buddhists in thailand....hard to meet a single who is not buddhist. In thailand the christians are wondering how to meet single christians.
chownah

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:02 am

There are lot of single Buddhist in Sri Lanka too.

Alexander____

Post by Alexander____ » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:22 pm

Just use a dating website and filter by religion or search for keyword Buddhist. As long as you're in a large enough city there is almost definitely other meditators/Buddhists about.

binocular

Post by binocular » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:48 pm

Singles, shingles ...

LG2V

Post by LG2V » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:56 pm

You'll likely be able to find some Buddhist singles here: https://www.meetmindful.com/
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:55 am

I don't see anything wrong with match.com even. Its got a ton of people on there, I am sure you can specify your religious interests there. I met my wife there :)

_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:49 am

Whenever you feel lonely, just meditate to end that desire!

Also, I would not hunt for relationships. In my experience, any relationship that I have forced ultimately crumbles. Desire has no use.

My most succesful romantic relationships happened out of spontaneity!
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia

ryanM

Post by ryanM » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:31 pm

Sovatthika wrote:
i don't know what i could have in common enough with any puthujjanas
Kindness?
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"

manas

Post by manas » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:31 am

Try walking in the opposite direction: practice celibacy in body and mind, and women seem to come to YOU. It sucks but this is how it happened for me, the last two times.
"To these too I teach the Dhamma which is lovely in its beginning, lovely in its middle and lovely in its ending, in spirit and in letter, I display to them the holy life, perfectly fulfilled and purified."
- from the Desanaa Sutta

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:51 am

Try walking in the opposite direction: practice celibacy in body and mind, and women seem to come to YOU.
This is my experience too.
This is all Mara's trick I suppose.

Sovatthika

Post by Sovatthika » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:40 am

if i'm going to be rid of lust then it has to be done the right way
currently i am not ready just to let it go i don't think but aspects of it i really detest
aspects of it are extremely stressful
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:39 am

manas wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:31 am
Try walking in the opposite direction: practice celibacy in body and mind, and women seem to come to YOU. It sucks but this is how it happened for me, the last two times.
In a similar vein, when I first started going to a Thai Wat, I already had a Thai girlfriend, but she was in another country. I went to learn more about Thai culture and language, but got sucked into the Dhamma... :buddha2:

The fact that I was interested in Dhamma, didn't smoke, drink, etc, and wasn't hitting on anyone (since I had a remote relationship) was then quite a powerful magnet...

:heart:
Mike

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:55 am

but got sucked into the Dhamma... :buddha2:
Kamma (Vipaka) manifest in a strange way!

ieee23

Post by ieee23 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:49 pm

Sovatthika wrote:
Volunteer at your local temple. A lot. Get as involved in the place as you can.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19

binocular

Post by binocular » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:00 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:39 am
In a similar vein, when I first started going to a Thai Wat, I already had a Thai girlfriend, but she was in another country. I went to learn more about Thai culture and language /.../
That explains a lot then! Up until learning this, I've always felt shitty when you'd say how you went to your local temple and just felt good there, while I can't even imagine feeling good there. Well, you had motivations for going there other than the Dhamma, and I don't have such motivations.
:coffee:

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:15 pm

binocular wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:00 pm
Up until learning this, I've always felt shitty when you'd say how you went to your local temple and just felt good there, while I can't even imagine feeling good there. Well, you had motivations for going there other than the Dhamma, and I don't have such motivations.
I had various motivations for going there. The first time the main motivation was that I was going through a rather difficult time.

My motivations changed with time, and the Dhamma motivation is certainly the most important one at this point.

I'm sorry that you don't feel good when visiting temples. Clearly different people have different experiences, preferences, and motivations.

Mike

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:16 pm

ieee23 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:49 pm
Volunteer at your local temple. A lot. Get as involved in the place as you can.
That's good general advice for all aspects of life...

Mike