What are your favorite spectator team sports?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.

futbol (soccer)
28%
American football
16%
Australian Rules football
4%
Cricket
8%
Baseball
8%
Basketball
12%
Ice Hockey
8%
Rugby
8%
Field Hockey
No votes
Volleyball
8%

Total votes: 25

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Since we have some sports fans here (as shown in my Halloween thread), I thought it might be interesting to see which sports we like to watch. I know some will say watching sports is not very Dhammic. Okay, I'll stop watching when I become an arahant . . . . until then . . :tongue:

You can pick your two favorite and it can be as participant or just as spectator.
aflatun

Re: What are your favorite spectator team sports?

Post by aflatun »

American Football (NFL)

Don’t have a second !
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

What about US Federal politics?
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Obviously, as an English Buddhist, I take a keen interest in soka.

:toilet:
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

Basketball and ice hockey.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I'm a hockey fan. I realize it may be the most violent sport on here. Do I lose Dhamma points?
:jumping:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

dharmacorps wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:54 am I'm a hockey fan. I realize it may be the most violent sport on here. Do I lose Dhamma points?
:jumping:
I've only watched a few bits and parts of a hockey game, never from start to finish. From googling sports violence, apparently hockey is rather violent. I would have thought NFL (American football) was the most violent, but apparently racing/sliding around on the ice at high speeds and getting shoved (I think it's called checked?) into the wall is rather violent. NFL has a history of some pretty bad injuries but I guess hockey has more?

I like the play selection strategy of NFL, reminds me of chess; the linemen are like the pawns, quarterback like the queen, and king is like the head coach, selecting plays and strategy. Helmets are being improved to reduce concussions, with a spring like shock absorber cushion in the helmets. And then after that the NFL needs to eliminate the 3 point stance at the line of scrimmage, in my opinion, which would greatly reduce the helmet to helmet hits.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

When I was young my favourite sport was ELLE.
Which is very similar to base ball but less risky and cheap. (We make use soft tennis balls, balls made of rubber tapping and paper etc and any stick mainly bamboo)
So I vote for base ball even though I am not watching or play any games now days.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Sri Lankan surf team

There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

[/quote]
Helmets are being improved to reduce concussions, with a spring like shock absorber cushion in the helmets. And then after that the NFL needs to eliminate the 3 point stance at the line of scrimmage, in my opinion, which would greatly reduce the helmet to helmet hits.
[/quote]

That's a really good point-- CTE in football and hockey too. Hard to say those sports don't cause harm. Hockey used to be a lot worse with the fighting and no helmets. When I went to Blackhawks games in the 80s there were a lot of bloody fights which was considered part of the game-- not so much anymore.