Classical Conditioning 101

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
binocular

Classical Conditioning 101

Post by binocular » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:38 pm

Classical conditioning (also known as Pavlovian or respondent conditioning) refers to learning procedure in which a biologically potent stimulus (e.g. food) is paired with a previously neutral stimulus (e.g. a bell). It also refers to the learning process that results from this pairing, through which the neutral stimulus comes to elicit a response (e.g. salivation) that is usually similar to the one elicited by the potent stimulus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_conditioning
The other day, I was pruning our raspberries in our fruit garden. The raspberriy plants grow perpendicular to horizontal steel wires. As I was pulling weeds and dry raspberry stalks, I noticed that I was very careful not to touch the steel wire, which struck me as strange. Where did that fear come from??

And I recalled that I was hit by electric current from an electric fence several times as I was cutting down shrubs at a remote end of our property that borders on a meadow where cows graze and which has an electric fence (it's a simple single-line electric fence). There is very little room between our fence and the electric fence, so I had very little room for work, and got hit by the current despite my best efforts not to touch the electric fence.

The lowest steel wire in our raspberry patch is at a similar height as the electric fence, so this seems to be the trigger for the fear. But the last time I was hit by electric current from the electric fence was at least ten months ago. That's how long the effects can last!
I'm really surprised that this works this way.

Do any of you have similar experiences in classical conditioning?

B23

Re: Classical Conditioning 101

Post by B23 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:46 am

Now think about when you are eating. Does it feel good? That is exactly the same (from eating something you find good arises the pleasure). Everything there is is conditioned like that in one way or another ... but do we see it?
- Homage to the Worthy One, the Blessed One, the Rightly Self-awakened One!