Joke!!! 2.0

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
CedarTree

Re: Joke!!! 2.0

Post by CedarTree »

Practice, Practice, Practice

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Sea Turtle wrote: I'm the female breadwinner of my family. And the all-around glue that holds everything together, preventing the scenario depicted in image #3. So, nope, I don't relate to this either.

:goodpost:
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

Aloka wrote: A blatantly sexist "joke" which has never been true in connection with myself as a woman, nor anyone I've ever known.
I know a few men including a cousin of mine who have been taken to the cleaners by their ex wives in divorce courts. These situations are very common where I live. It is not sexist, just the reality.
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

How to tell if your dog is involved in a sex scandal

cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

This could go into one of the political threads, but probably less inflammatory here...
DC082917.jpg
DC082917.jpg (54.25 KiB) Viewed 19279 times
https://www.newyorker.com/cartoons/dail ... Y1NjM5OQS2
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

The message of intense Zen places like Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery, Antai-ji, and Sanshin Zen Community summed up hah. :tongue:

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

binocular wrote:
Coëmgenu wrote:A Buddhist, a Christian, a Muslim, a Hindu, and a Jew talk into a bar and the bartender says:
"Orange you glad I didn't say banana?!"
...maybe I shouldn't tell jokes.
I don't get it ...
It is my strange sense of humour. There is a certain beautiful qualia to the perfect non-sequitur, IMO.

The set-up for an "ethnic" or "religious" joke is interrupted by the bartender, who, instead of referencing the relevant party, is concluding a rendition of a silly childhood joke that is popular here in Canada (and I assume in America?), to an audience that is not mentioned in the set-up for the joke.

Like I said, I don't tell that many jokes (actually I do). But maybe I shouldn't.

The joke, which most Canadian youths know, at least, is:

"Knock knock."
"Who's there?"
"Banana."
["Banana who?"
"Banana."]
[repeat bracketed elements ad nauseam, then finally, at one point:]
"Who's there?"
"Orange."
"...orange who?"
"Orange you glad I didn't say banana?"

"Orange" sounds like "aren't" to a native speaker of Canadian (and American, I assume) English. Its a terrible horrible no good very bad pun.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

Coëmgenu wrote:
binocular wrote:
Coëmgenu wrote:A Buddhist, a Christian, a Muslim, a Hindu, and a Jew talk into a bar and the bartender says:
"Orange you glad I didn't say banana?!"
...maybe I shouldn't tell jokes.
I don't get it ...
It is my strange sense of humour. There is a certain beautiful qualia to the perfect non-sequitur, IMO.
...."Knock knock."
"Who's there?"
"Banana."
["Banana who?"
"Banana."]
[repeat bracketed elements ad nauseam, then finally, at one point:]
"Who's there?"
"Orange."
"...orange who?"
"Orange you glad I didn't say banana?"

"Orange" sounds like "aren't" to a native speaker of Canadian (and American, I assume) English. Its a terrible horrible no good very bad pun.
In American pronunciation (at least to my ear) it might be phrased more as:
"Orange glad I didn't say banana"? Or more precisely "Or[a]n-ge glad..." sounding like "Orn-jh(e) glad I didn't say banana?"

That is to say, the "-ge" sound at the end is barely voiced, just a consonant sound with a lot of aspiration ("h"-ness) in it, which does sound like the "...t you" of "aren't you" when pronounced in common, slurred speech -- sounded more like "choo". Saying "aren't" and then "you" distinctly requires a sort of pause between the "t" and the "you". Said rapidly they run together and "tyou" comes out with a lot of "h", i.e. "th" but more like "ch".

And this sound is quite close to the soft "g" "-g(e)" in 'orange' (as distinct from the hard "g" as in "gas"), but actually rather more like "j", or "jh. The distinction between "ch..." and "jh..." is subtle in American English.

(Though it might more critical in a language like Mandarin Chinese where soft "g", soft "c" and "j" are meaningfully distinct. Inversely, the "b" and "p" distinction in Chinese isn't that important, where it is in English -- they might say, for instance "bee-pee" for English "pee-pee". Like our case above, the difference here is the "h"-like aspiration in "p" which lacks in "b".)

btw: [Wikipedia] "The colour orange is named after the appearance of the ripe orange fruit.[2] The word comes from the Old French orange, from the old term for the fruit, pomme d'orange. The French word, in turn, comes from the Italian arancia,[3][4] based on Arabic nāranj, derived from the Sanskrit naranga.[5]"

And elsewhere: "Pali :nāraṅga : (m.) the mandarin orange tree"

[I would have guessed "orange" going back to Latin "aurantium" (gold), which, however, does get mentioned as the origin of Italian "arancia". But then that doesn't so smoothly lead back to the Arabic and Sanskrit (/Pali) forms. (?) And the lineage from Sanskrit (Indo-Euopean) to Arabic (Semetic, NOT Indo European) and back to European languages? ]
robertk

Post by robertk »

And elsewhere: "Pali :nāraṅga : (m.) the mandarin orange tree"

[I would have guessed "orange" going back to Latin "aurantium" (gold), which, however, does get mentioned as the origin of Italian "arancia". But then that doesn't so smoothly lead back to the Arabic and Sanskrit (/Pali) forms. (?) And the lineage from Sanskrit (Indo-Euopean) to Arabic (Semetic, NOT Indo European) and back to European languages?
who said Buddhists don't have a sense of humor..
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

cjmacie wrote: In American pronunciation (at least to my ear) it might be phrased more as:
"Orange glad I didn't say banana"? Or more precisely "Or[a]n-ge glad..." sounding like "Orn-jh(e) glad I didn't say banana?"
Oh definitely. The "similarity" between the two is predicated on the elision (is that the proper term? It might only properly apply to vowels) of "orange/aren't" and "you".

I would ever hesitate to say that in rural Englishes, like my father's, the initial vowel of "orange" is almost completely assimilated into a syllabic "R" (like in "church") with nasalization. From there, the only differentiation between "orange" and "aren't" is the voicing of the final consonant, AFAIK.
What is the Uncreated?
binocular

Post by binocular »

robertk wrote:who said Buddhists don't have a sense of humor..
Buddhists and humor -- like apples and oranges!
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

Coëmgenu wrote:
cjmacie wrote:In American pronunciation (at least to my ear) it might be phrased more as:
Oh definitely. The "similarity" between the two is predicated on the elision (is that the proper term? It might only properly apply to vowels) of "orange/aren't" and "you".
I would ever hesitate to say that in rural Englishes, like my father's, the initial vowel of "orange" is almost completely assimilated into a syllabic "R" (like in "church") with nasalization. From there, the only differentiation between "orange" and "aren't" is the voicing of the final consonant, AFAIK.
Thanks for the explanation. I figured that the way "orange" should be pronounced in that joke is important, and I thought of pronouncing it the Australian way. But as a European, I am invincibly ignorant of knock-knock jokes. Several Americans have tried to teach me that type of joke, but it all resulted only in looks and sighs of disappointment ...

Beyond that, in my native language, the word for "orange" (the fruit) is "pomaranča" -- how's that for a synthesis of numerous sources?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

binocular wrote:
Coëmgenu wrote:
cjmacie wrote:
[...]

Oh definitely.

[...]

I wouldn't even hesitate to say that in rural Englishes, like my father's, the initial vowel of "orange" is almost completely assimilated into a syllabic "R" (like in "church") with nasalization. From there, the only differentiation between "orange" and "aren't" is the voicing of the final consonant, AFAIK.

[...] as a European, I am invincibly ignorant of knock-knock jokes. Several Americans have tried to teach me that type of joke, but it all resulted only in looks and sighs of disappointment ...
Well, to be fair, this was an explosion of the conventions of a knock knock joke, which not all people necessarily will find amusing.

My favourite part though, has been the subsequent exchange and analysis of the joke, because I also find that, in it's way, amusing precisely because it is not particularly funny or amusing. It makes the "not-funny" root joke, even more amusing, in my strange sense of humour.
binocular wrote:"pomaranča" -- how's that for a synthesis of numerous sources?
Is that.... pomme, like in French... and then the ending looks Romanian (I know its not), to my unschooled eyes. I assume it is a portmanteau?
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What is the Uncreated?
binocular

Post by binocular »

In the time of the Buddha, bathing was done in a river, a bathing tank, a sauna, or a
showering place. Instead of soap, people used an unscented powder called chunam,
which was kneaded with water into a dough-like paste. Bhikkhus are explicitly allowed
to use powdered dung, clay, or dye-dregs; according to the Commentary, ordinary
chunam would come under “dye-dregs.” A bhikkhu with an itching rash, a small boil,
or a running sore, or whose body smells bad (in the words of the Commentary, “with a
body odor like that of a horse”) may use scented fragrant powders.

Thanissaro Bhikkhu, The Buddhist Monastic Code
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!