Feeling safe in Buddhism

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Warrior_monk1

Feeling safe in Buddhism

Post by Warrior_monk1 »

Dear friends,

How can I feel safe? Sometimes, I meet people who are truly testing me especially in the Martial Arts world and they are I.E accusing me of things I do not do. How can I find refuge or find safety/protection in Buddhism? How and what can I feel safe and/or happy again? I want to be a better person and sometimes I can be truly agressive with my actions (I have a lot of positive energy, because I train a 3 hours a day). But, I want to feel happy and I do not want to make enemies or speak with unfriendly persons. Can somebody give me good advice or guidance?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Feeling safe in Buddhism

Post by Sam Vara »

Warrior_monk1 wrote:Dear friends,

How can I feel safe? Sometimes, I meet people who are truly testing me especially in the Martial Arts world and they are I.E accusing me of things I do not do. How can I find refuge or find safety/protection in Buddhism? How and what can I feel safe and/or happy again? I want to be a better person and sometimes I can be truly agressive with my actions (I have a lot of positive energy, because I train a 3 hours a day). But, I want to feel happy and I do not want to make enemies or speak with unfriendly persons. Can somebody give me good advice or guidance?
It's best to avoid aggressive people if you can, and the same goes for those who lie. It is painful to meet these people, and often very difficult to avoid retaliation. If you can't avoid them altogether, then work on mental strategies which allow you to interact with them without being upset or retaliating. This might help:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

If you find - as your post seems to imply - that your training gives you the sort of energy that makes you aggressive (or even appear aggressive) then you might want to reconsider the type of training you do.
Warrior_monk1

Post by Warrior_monk1 »

Sam Vara wrote:
Warrior_monk1 wrote:Dear friends,

It's best to avoid aggressive people if you can, and the same goes for those who lie. It is painful to meet these people, and often very difficult to avoid retaliation. If you can't avoid them altogether, then work on mental strategies which allow you to interact with them without being upset or retaliating. This might help:

If you find - as your post seems to imply - that your training gives you the sort of energy that makes you aggressive (or even appear aggressive) then you might want to reconsider the type of training you do.
Thank you so much. I will study the sutta's. I feel deeply hurt and I think the sutta's will give me more insight how I can positively handle these kind of situations. How can I be more pure of thought without any distractions? Just a simple human being who does his training :anjali:

Thank you!
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Warrior_monk1 wrote:How can I feel safe? Sometimes, I meet people who are truly testing me especially in the Martial Arts world and they are I.E accusing me of things I do not do. How can I find refuge or find safety/protection in Buddhism? How and what can I feel safe and/or happy again? I want to be a better person and sometimes I can be truly agressive with my actions (I have a lot of positive energy, because I train a 3 hours a day). But, I want to feel happy and I do not want to make enemies or speak with unfriendly persons. Can somebody give me good advice or guidance?
Depends on the type of martial art you're practicing. I'm a Judoka and the good thing about this martial art is that it allows you to "test" your skill against your challenger on the mat without causing severe injuries (providing that both you and your opponent already knew at least how to fall safely). For "striking" martial arts like Taekwonkdo or Karate, it's more dangerous 'cuz punching and kicking are allowed. So try your best to avoid confrontation, but if it's unavoidable, accept the challenge only on some pre-agreed conditions (no full-contact, only semi-contact or non-contact/point system, etc.). If you're a really good striker, you can stop your punch just a few inches from the opponent face and s/he'd automatically acknowledge the winner and withdraw. And sometimes the superior fighter would be known by no one except the 2 fighters themselves:
Warrior_monk1

Post by Warrior_monk1 »

Can I private message you Santi100? I will explain the whole situation. It's not bad, but I feel hurt.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Sure, no problem
binocular

Post by binocular »

Warrior_monk1 wrote:How can I feel safe? Sometimes, I meet people who are truly testing me especially in the Martial Arts world and they are I.E accusing me of things I do not do.
Recognize that such wrongful accusations are part and parcel of their style of fighting.
Once you enter any kind of combat, be prepared that the opponent will fight against you with everything they can.
Perhaps you feel obliged to fight honorably. That doesn't mean others feel obliged to fight honorably as well.

Hic Rhodus, hic salta!