How many of you are solitary Buddhists?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Will

Re: How many of you are solitary Buddhists?

Post by Will » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:30 pm

No-Mind:
It was about a peculiar flaw of the place I live in and which I find abhorrent.
All humans live in that very same place, which is not found on any map.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- AN 10.1

xofz

Post by xofz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:58 pm

Hello, No_Mind,
I am a solitary Buddhist by choice. Having gone forth, it is often difficult to take part in the lay-person's world, but there's no need to resign myself to monkhood. The 2 fruits I enjoy the most are by far:
1) freedom from death
2) freedom from old age

I have avoided the sex act my whole life and will continue to do so for the rest of my life. Currently, I'm actually a little infatuated with the sixth consciousness (the mind that arises from the brain) and getting high off of marijuana (legal in my state in the United States).

This forum interests me in its employment of direct quotes and guidance from the Buddha. Wise as though other teachers may be, there is no substitute for words coming straight from the Buddha's mouth. As for myself, I don't often find myself with much to share. I'm just a used-to-be-smart consciousness explorer who inadvertently was lead along to the ending of his birth.
My real life name is Sam.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Will wrote:No-Mind:
It was about a peculiar flaw of the place I live in and which I find abhorrent.
All humans live in that very same place, which is not found on any map.
Unless you read it as a guest you cannot possibly know what I was talking about. The edited part was here for all of five minutes to ensure it can be deleted after Mike read it and your name did not appear at bottom during that time.

I said a flaw, not unsatisfactoriness or something causing anyone unsatisfactoriness.

X said to Y "go east 10 km from the bus station and turn north at the gas station." Y replied "a flaw in my car's odometer is it uses imperial system of measurement. I cannot measure km using it."

This conversation does not imply Y is suffering from unsatisfactoriness; just that he thinks a modern car having an odometer measuring miles only is a design flaw. Y will drive bit more than 6 miles from the bus station and turn north.

Something like that.

If you do not know what I wrote, how can you know the flaw I was speaking about (I reiterate I am not complaining about being a solitary Buddhist, and I accept that most of you are better Buddhists than me.)

:namaste:
Last edited by No_Mind on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
I know one thing: that I know nothing

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:58 pm

Greetings,

I don't meet the strict criteria outlined in the OP, but I would consider myself a solitary Buddhist nonetheless.

Having now committed to a family-centric life path, my goals differ somewhat from what they once were. I have observed the way in which maintaining a deeper present-moment awareness and understanding of the Dhamma is not necessarily compatible with the lay life. No one will pay you to do this, and very few people that you engage with in daily life will place much value in that activity either. Some will find it overly introverted or disconnected from their needs and they will create ordeals and drama, since such self-contented, peaceful, equanimity is unacceptable to them. Nor does it meet many people's expectations of being "productive"!

A successful lay life and a successful Dhamma practice each have a different tempo - both songs cannot be played fully at once without regard for the other. If they are played together, they must at least be resonant, not discordant. As such, I understand now why it is necessary to ordain (or at least be a 'hermit') in order to pursue the Dhamma to the fullest.

That is not my path however, and until I retire (which will change the dynamics again, and is likely 20+ years away), I will settle for a certain degree of pragmatism, adaptation, appreciation and loving acceptance. That pragmatism precludes regular engagement with Buddhist organisations or activities, which are time consuming and do not necessarily put me in touch with like minded individuals. Such contact is actually more likely and more viable on-line. Hence, here I am.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:12 pm

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Rhinoceros [Horn] Sutta.

An appropriate verse:
We praise companionship
— yes!
Those on a par, or better,
should be chosen as friends.
If they're not to be found,
living faultlessly,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:16 pm

My caution, which I have already expressed above, would be to not too quickly jump to conclusions about who is "on a par or better".

:heart:
Mike

ganegaar

Post by ganegaar » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:35 pm

I sincerely hope that @no_mind would not take following personally and would look at it in the spirit of discussion. So with no disrespect intended;

In my view, following paints rather a negative picture on Goenka retreats, and since it is admitted in this thread that @No_mind never attended one, they are just "speculative" at the best!. (So, it need to be pointed out, so that anyone reading and would have being inclined to attend such a retreat would be balanced in view!).
No_Mind wrote:There is a Goenka center about 20 miles from where I live. It is the only vipassana centre in Calcutta. But I doubt if a Goenka vipassana centre can be called a Buddhist Sangha. Students are taken through basics of Buddhism (bare bones basics .. say a page long intro to Buddha's life and very basic teachings of 4 NT) but the training itself is secular. There are no monks ..
I am not saying Goenka retreats are pointless. Of course they are good. I am saying they focus on only two of the Eight Fold Path, Right Mindfulness and Concentration. There are six others.
A silent retreat, based entirely on donations and voluntary supporters, which does not force you to pay or donate anything, have the potential to cover all aspects of the noble 8 fold path., how much an individual attendee would adhere to the 8 fold path is ofcause individual to the attendee - but the environment is well set there.
Sīlepatiṭṭhāya naro sapañño, cittaṃ paññañca bhāvayaṃ;
Ātāpī nipako bhikkhu, so imaṃ vijaṭaye jaṭanti.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:07 am

ganegaar wrote:......
What I said has been misunderstood widely.

All I said is Goenka retreats are not Buddhist retreats. Majority of those attending are not Buddhists, those teaching are not Buddhists. The focus is on meditation not Dhamma instruction or analysis.

ganegaar

Post by ganegaar » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:16 am

No_Mind wrote:

All I said is Goenka retreats are not Buddhist retreats. Majority of those attending are not Buddhists, those teaching are not Buddhists. The focus is on meditation not Dhamma instruction or analysis.

Well, you are still speculating my friend: not sure what you meant by "those teachings are not Buddhists", because the teachings are from Buddha!

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:18 am

ganegaar wrote:
No_Mind wrote:

Well, you are still speculating my friend: not sure what you meant by "those teachings are not Buddhists", because the teachings are from Buddha!
Those teaching are not Buddhists means the teachers are not Buddhists. Not teachings but teaching. Read carefully.

ganegaar

Post by ganegaar » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:32 am

No_Mind wrote: Those teaching are not Buddhists means the teachers are not Buddhists. Not teachings but teaching. Read carefully.
oops yes!, I did misread!, my apologies.
I see my mind now prejudiced to view your posting in the negative to Goenka retreats, and how it has tricked to read such a way!, amazing and disgusting? what mess i am in! :).

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:34 am

ganegaar wrote:
No_Mind wrote: Those teaching are not Buddhists means the teachers are not Buddhists. Not teachings but teaching. Read carefully.
oops yes!, I did misread!, my apologies.
I see my mind now prejudiced to view your posting in the negative to Goenka retreats, and how it has tricked to read such a way!, amazing and disgusting? what mess i am in! :).
No worries. I bring out the worst in people.