How old were you when you first became interested in Buddhism?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

0 (born Buddhist and never left it)
2%
10-15
2%
16-20
27%
21-29
44%
30-39
10%
40-49
7%
50-59
5%
60-69
No votes
70-79
2%
80+
No votes

Total votes: 41

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:39 pm

From the age poll thread:
Kim OHara wrote: I think the normal pattern is that young people - under 15, maybe - identify with whatever religion their parents exposed them to.
Then they may question or leave it.
By 25 or 30 they have usually settled into their adult identity which they will retain, with few changes, for the rest of their lives. It will include a religious identification, whether they have held on to their birth religion, returned to it after questioning it, or left it. You see the same pattern with political affiliation.
Since most members of DW are probably convert Buddhists, I thought it might be interesting to see at what age most of us became interested in Buddhism. For the purposes of this poll, it need not be a formal Refuge ceremony; it can simply be when your interest in Buddhism took off from books, attending meditation meetings, discussing online, etc.

DNS
Site Admin

Re: How old were you when you first became interested in Buddhism?

Post by DNS » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:47 pm

I was 21 in university when my interest really took off. Prior to that I had studied (and practiced) Torah, Tanakh, Talmud, Christianity, Islam, Hebrew, Ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, Samaritan religion, i.e., all the big 3 monotheistic Abrahamic religions extensively. Then one day I realized that I had not studied the Eastern religions, not giving them enough attention or consideration. I started with What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula, then several others and was immediately interested; the rest is history as they say.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:17 pm

I know one thing: that I know nothing

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:53 am

I was interested about Buddha when I was about six or seven. I still remember the day I saw Buddha's image. We had very large Bo tree in my grand parents house. My Aunt used to keep an image of Buddha under the tree and pay homage to it every evening. Then I want to become a monk at the age of 10 for which my patents did not consent to it after some inquiries.
Then I went on the life roller coaster and one day one of my Islamic friend gave me the book by Narada about ten years ago and I was really interested about the teaching.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

paul

Post by paul » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:02 am

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:17 am

David N. Snyder wrote:I was 21 in university when my interest really took off. Prior to that I had studied (and practiced) Torah, Tanakh, Talmud, Christianity, Islam, Hebrew, Ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, Samaritan religion, i.e., all the big 3 monotheistic Abrahamic religions extensively. Then one day I realized that I had not studied the Eastern religions, not giving them enough attention or consideration. I started with What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula, then several others and was immediately interested; the rest is history as they say.
:thumbsup:
That fits the pattern I described, very neatly indeed.

My own journey fits it fairly well, too - uncritically Christian until mid-teens, because that's the way I was brought up, then questioning and exploration - particularly after I left my little, conservative (but nicely conservative, not redneck/racist!) country town for the big multicultural city. By my late twenties I was basically a humanist with a liking for, and good knowledge of, all the Eastern religions, and a positive experience of meditation. Then family life took over, and I didn't get back to it seriously until about ten years ago, when changes in my life made me feel the need for an anchor. Buddhism was the best, partly because of a good local Buddhist meditation group.
Which of those ages is the best answer to your question? Jeez, I dunno. :juggling:

:namaste:
Kim

paul

Post by paul » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:22 am

I am a few years younger than Bikkhu Bodhi, but was also influenced by the American War in Vietnam and the influence of Asia which began to permeate the west during the 70’s. It wasn’t until suffering in the form of a divorce that I deeply questioned materialism and from observation saw the cyclic nature of clinging and suffering, at that point I was living in a rural situation and had the advantage of the peaceful environment to make such reflections. I got hold of “The Noble Eightfold Path” by Bikkhu Bodhi and it became the basis of my knowledge of Theravada. I reached a point where I had to experience a monastery and spent some months at Ajahn Brahm’s Bodhinyana. That was when I formally became a Buddhist in 1991 at the age of 44, so it was a slow development.
Last edited by paul on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

maranadhammomhi

Post by maranadhammomhi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:46 am

17. It happened very fast (nearly no gap between my "becoming interested" & conversion) & as a result I can't remember much except the most general & basic facts of the process.

Previously I had been a typical materialist-atheist. I slowly began to let go of that through (unfortunate that this was what it took & I do not endorse these means - the opposite, in fact) hallucinogen use. Then was overwhelmed with suffering, looked for a solution, found meditation then Buddhism not long after.
facebook.com/noblebuddhadhamma

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:29 am

I was 19, at University, and initially explored an academic interest in Buddhism - probably prompted by the shock of leaving home, studying, difficult relationships, and some very wild living. This gradually turned into what people might call a "practice" in my twenties.

That was over forty years ago, and there have been various changes of emphasis in that time due to different influences on my life.

Jetavan

Post by Jetavan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:41 pm

You mean, how old was I in this life?

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:55 pm

Jetavan wrote:
You mean, how old was I in this life?
Yes. But if you have insight-knowledge into the age you became Buddhist in a previous life, feel free to post a message about it here too. :tongue:

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:28 am

About age 22-26 I began getting interested in spirituality, then started meditating at 26. Took me a while before I settled into Buddhist practice and a specific tradition though.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:29 am

Greetings,

I took refuge on my 27th birthday.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine