Why I don't watch the news...

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Mawkish1983

Why I don't watch the news...

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Just some random musings before I get on with cleaning the kitchen...

In 1982 (before I was even born) a statement was made which is as true now as it was then (it might even be more true now!)
Donald Hugh Henley wrote:I make my living off the evening news. Just give me something, something I can use. People love it when you lose, they love dirty laundry. Well, I could have been an actor but I wound up here. I just have to look good, I dont have to be clear. Come and whisper in my ear, give us dirty laundry. Kick them when they're up, kick them when they're down. Kick them when they're up, kick them when they're down. Kick them when they're up, kick them when they're down. Kick them when they're up, kick them all around. We've got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who comes on at five. She can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye. It's interesting when people die; gives us dirty laundry. Can we film the operation? Is the head dead yet? You know, the boys in the newsroom have got a running bet. Get the widow on the set, we need dirty laundry. You don't really need to find out what's going on, you don't really want to know just how far its gone. Just leave well enough alone, eat your dirty laundry. Kick them when they're up, kick them when they're down. Kick them when they're up, kick them when they're down. Kick them when they're up, kick them when they're down. Kick them when they're stiff, kick them all around. Dirty little secrets, dirty little lies. We've got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pies. We love to cut you down to size, we love dirty laundry. We can do the innuendo, we can dance and sing. When it's said and done with haven't told you a thing. We all know that crap is king, give's us dirty laundry.
I favourite comedian of mine (Charlie Brooker) made a series to reflect upon the news called 'newswipe'. Here's a clip from the first episode (check out quantitative easing :zzz: ):

And a later episode demonstrating the bias (all those cameras near an unguarded window just by chance? Come on!):

Thank heavens another comedian has decided to confront the media from a different angle, not by making fun of the darker side of the news, but by finding the rare bright side (see 8:37, right near the end):

(I don't find Russell Howard funny, but I do find Charlie Brooker funny. Strange.)
Cittasanto

Re: Why I don't watch the news...

Post by Cittasanto »

memories such good memories
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
MJH

Post by MJH »

****full disclosure****
I was a television photojournalist for years before I moved into documentary/commercial work. Plus, my wife is a print journalist.

Mawkish1983,

I fully understand your distrust and disdain for the media. Let's face it, sensationalism sells. I also think we need to remember that the media does perform a valuable service to the community. Just think how some of these stories may have been swept under the rug if they were not brought to the public's attention by the media.

Watergate
The My Lai Massacre
Abu Ghraib prison
The abuses of Apartheid
Democratic National Convention in Chicago
etc........

Just food for thought. :smile:
Perry

Post by Perry »

I absolutely adore Charlie Brooker, it might be worth checking out his columns on The Guardian website for some good old-fashioned criticism of the media.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/charliebrooker
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think John Pilger is much better than some comedian.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Perry

Post by Perry »

retrofuturist wrote:
:rofl: I truly hope that is meant ironically! (Even though he IS right about everything! :P)
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Oooh, I can't watch Retro's video until tomorrow. But I will. Tomorrow :)