STORY

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Aloof

STORY

Post by Aloof »

A small ant size bug fell in the west coast of Indian sea from heaven. He/she/it found out that if he eats the salt from the sea water, he grows in strength. So he grew to a certain size and then later he started multiplying. This started creating a small pool of fresh salt-less water in the vast sea of salt water.

The size of fresh water pool started growing due to these bugs. And the time came when othe sea species like fish etc started noting the pool water. The salt less water did not suit them. This created a problem for them. They now adopted different appoach to this pool water.

1. Avoid and move away from the area. They had only gained time for themselves as the inevitable sea salt water will one day be fully converted to fresh water.

2.Change themselves and slowly and slowly adopt to live in fresh water. They survived.

3. Attack the bugs and eat them away according to their capacity and then move away But the bugs entered their body, and slowly ate away the salt in their body. This made them SICK and made them to leave the bugs and move away as far as they can. The result was that one day they perished in a far away arbian sea.And the bugs took over that new area of the sea. Thus there were now two different areas from where the bugs were spreading. Slowly and slowly they took over the whole of the world sea.

So bugs were the winners till the sea had salt. And the day came that all the salt was finished and the bugs perished also. They left behind sea of fresh water and the species which could evolve to live in fresh water.

CHANGE THE ABOVE STORY BY REPLACING

BUG................................................................................................................................................GOD/BUDDHA

WATER.............................................................................................................................................Emptiness (source of existence)

SALT..........................................................................................................Emotions (hate, fear, jealousy, love,etc. etc.)

SURVIVING SPECIES..............................................................................They are those who follow the laws of nature, create new inventions and share their prosperity.

My question to all of you is whether the bug can perish in this process?
Last edited by Aloof on Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
SarathW

Re: STORY

Post by SarathW »

Yes they can.
In water ways in Sri Lanka there was a weed called "Japan Jabara"
The authorities introduce a bug to eat them.
When they ate all the weeds the bug also perished due to lack of food.

Having said that your simile does not convey the message of Buddha.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Aloof

Post by Aloof »

SarathW wrote:
Yes they can.
In water ways in Sri Lanka there was a weed called "Japan Jabara"
The authorities introduce a bug to eat them.
When they ate all the weeds the bug also perished due to lack of food.

Having said that your simile does not convey the message of Buddha.
Guatam Buddha came on earth,lived and experienced the depth of fear,hatred, sex,love, greed,etc.etc. And he developed the method of clearing these cosmic energies by developing various WISDOMS.
Now after his physical death , he is working in his cosmic form to clear the sea of mental impurities.
But this world is too full of impurities and the Buddha may not clear all of these impurities and leave for Nirvan. (death of bug in sea before the salt is finished)
Or Buddha might survive till all the impurities are cleared in all the humanity, atmosphere and animals before leaving for Nirvan.(bug perishes when salt is finished)
Sprouticus

Post by Sprouticus »

Greetings,

If you are suggesting that the bugs are representative of a cosmic buddha, then no, they can't die because they are not born. But, honestly, as intriguing as the Story is, I'm pretty sure I'm not following the simile well at all.

:namaste:
Namo buddhaya
Aloof

Post by Aloof »

Sprouticus wrote:Greetings,

If you are suggesting that the bugs are representative of a cosmic buddha, then no, they can't die because they are not born. But, honestly, as intriguing as the Story is, I'm pretty sure I'm not following the simile well at all.

I am very lonely on the topic of Buddhism. But I am very much alive in social life, so my loneliness is not a problem for me.
I came on the lounge to talk about Buddhism and its future. But I have a problem. I can expound this simile/parable only if I unite Therwada/mahayana and Lotus sutra along with a certain of my meditation experiences.
Last time I tried that and got into trouble. I have again failed on this forum even in lounge for a companion to talk about buddhism.

But still I will try keeping myself aware of my bounderies...................

I tried, I can not. Sorry.
Aloof

Post by Aloof »

yes, the answer came to me.

In parable /simlie/ story.....The salt will be eaten away. Bugs will also perish as no salt is available. And then the sea bed will have a lot of salt in the form of mixture or compound .This salt will slowly and slowly go on adding. And one day the sea will become saltish albeit water will be less salty compared to the present sea.

Buddhist system ......Same way this earth life is moving towards creativity and sharing based on nature laws. Emotions will be all gone. Life will be very peaceful. Diseases will be gone.The physical life will have speacial 32 features of Buddhas. Death will be pleasant and one will be ready for it when it comes.
And then Buddha will go to nirvan and will be lost to the earth life for ever.
But there are invisible planes of existence who have spirits, ghouls and what not. They will emote the emotions which the life on earth will not know to handle. Slowly and slowly the earth life will come to present position albeit a little better.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Aloof wrote:A small ant size bug fell in the west coast of Indian sea from heaven.
I have a question. Where is Indian sea?

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Aloof

Post by Aloof »

No_Mind wrote:
Aloof wrote:A small ant size bug fell in the west coast of Indian sea from heaven.

A few km.away from my house and we locals call this sea as Indian sea, as this sea surrounds the east, west and south of India. What the world atlas calls this sea, I have to refer to atlas.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

The Indian Ocean is known as Ratnākara (Sanskrit: रत्नाकर), "the mine of gems" in ancient Sanskrit literature, and as Hind Mahāsāgar (Hindi: हिन्द महासागर), "the great Indian sea", in Hindi.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Ocean

:anjali:
Mike
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

There is no Indian Sea but Indian Ocean.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Aloof wrote:
No_Mind wrote:

A few km.away from my house and we locals call this sea as Indian sea, as this sea surrounds the east, west and south of India. What the world atlas calls this sea, I have to refer to atlas.
There is no Indian Sea but Indian Ocean. And neither Indian Sea nor India Ocean surrounds east, west and south of India. Eastern coastline of India is along Bay of Bengal, western coastline is along Arabian Sea. Beyond the southern tip of India is Indian Ocean. The subcontinent being triangular has no southern coastline.

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

No_Mind wrote:
Aloof wrote: A few km.away from my house and we locals call this sea as Indian sea, as this sea surrounds the east, west and south of India. What the world atlas calls this sea, I have to refer to atlas.
There is no Indian Sea but Indian Ocean. And neither Indian Sea nor India Ocean surrounds east, west and south of India. Eastern coastline of India is along Bay of Bengal, western coastline is along Arabian Sea. Beyond the southern tip of India is Indian Ocean. The subcontinent being triangular has no southern coastline.

This difference and nitpicking regarding "sea" vs "ocean" is not the most relevant to the OP's post and doesn't keep in mind that many people posting on the forum are ESL (English as a Second Language). Ocean and Sea are close enough words to convey the same meaning. If the locals call it "the Indian Sea", that is fine terminology.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Coëmgenu wrote:This difference and nitpicking regarding "sea" vs "ocean" is not the most relevant to the OP's post and doesn't keep in mind that many people posting on the forum are ESL (English as a Second Language). Ocean and Sea are close enough words to convey the same meaning. If the locals call it "the Indian Sea", that is fine terminology.
A ) I am a local, B ) English is my second language, C ) this is Lounge .. place where light banter can happen and does happen .. we can go slightly off topic. Not much but some latitude is allowed.

I did not make fun of someone spelling "whether" as "weather". I asked an honest question.

A mod responded and did not have any problem with my question. Why do you?

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

No_Mind wrote:
Coëmgenu wrote:This difference and nitpicking regarding "sea" vs "ocean" is not the most relevant to the OP's post and doesn't keep in mind that many people posting on the forum are ESL (English as a Second Language). Ocean and Sea are close enough words to convey the same meaning. If the locals call it "the Indian Sea", that is fine terminology.
A ) I am a local, B ) English is my second language, C ) this is Lounge .. place where light banter can happen and does happen .. we can go slightly off topic. Not much but some latitude is allowed.

I did not make fun of someone spelling "whether" as "weather". I asked an honest question.

A mod responded and did not have any problem with my question. Why do you?

Because it seems excessive to harp over the OP's decision to call the "Indian Ocean" the "Indian Sea", that's all.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Coëmgenu wrote:Because it seems excessive to harp over the OP's decision to call the "Indian Ocean" the "Indian Sea", that's all.
And everyone has to abide by your definition of excessive?

I wrote three posts (before you showed up). One a question -- where is India Sea and another clarifying there is no Indian Sea but Indian Ocean (both one line and almost one sentence posts) and last one a map of the oceans and seas around the sub continent (posts # 2 and 3 could have been merged but at 5:30 AM I was sleepy eyed and forgot. I apologize for writing post 2 and 3 separately).

Three posts (of which two are one line) can hardly be called excessive harping. Third post was in response to Mikenz. Mikenz showed a map and in response I posted another map. How is it either excessive or harping?