What's up with all of the Tasmanian devils?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
L.N.

What's up with all of the Tasmanian devils?

Post by L.N. » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:29 am

This post in another thread caught my eye:
Aloka wrote:
Kabouterke wrote:Side note: What's up with all of the Tasmanian devils?
Its a secret society.....no, not really, they're so cute that they have a fan club here at DW.

:focus:
My first thought was, that is strange, why are so many people with Tasmanian devil avatars piling on against one person? Not exactly what one would expect on a Buddhist forum. My second thought was, how would I become a member of this odd fan club? So I used the search function to search the term "Tasmanian devils" and immediately was greeted with just a few references to Tasmanian devils (such as this thread) mostly revolving around a person named “Ben” who joined DW long ago (December 31, 2008), logged 18,442 posts, and now no longer exists.

Secret society … “no, not really” … a man who doesn’t exist any more …

Would someone please shine a light? If you have a Tasmanian devil avatar, please check in here. So far I have spotted these members:
  • Aloka
    tiltbillings
    Dan74
How many are out there?

Metta
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。

binocular

Re: What's up with all of the Tasmanian devils?

Post by binocular » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:35 am

I wondered about that too!

I actually googled "tasmanian devil meme", but found nothing that would explain it ...

Unless it's somehow about Ben, and Ben was/is in/from Tasmania.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

Dan74

Post by Dan74 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:37 am

I think this thread has all the answers you're going to get:

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27100
_/|\_

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:06 am

Greetings L.N.,

I understand it as a mark of respect towards Ben - a founding member of this forum who served here alternating between the global moderator and administrator roles for several years. He is a beautiful hearted friend and his presence here is surely missed.

As it stands presently, his account has been de-activated at his request, but it is everyone's hope that he will choose to return some day either in an official capacity as a moderator, or as a regular member, as he sees fit. The offer to serve the community as a moderator has been extended to him, and whilst he has declined that offer at the present time, he knows that it remains an open offer...

Until such time, the Tasmanian Devils are a fitting tribute to his legacy, and a reminder of his contributions towards the establishment and growth of this forum. Furthermore so when you consider the global reach of the internet and how it allow Buddhists in even the most remote corners of the globe to correspond with one another, regardless of whether or not they are blessed with geographical proximity to a suitable spiritual community.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:05 am

Buddha save me from new-agers!

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:47 am

Spiny Norman wrote:Image
Oh, good grief, at least you could have used a photo of an English hedgehog.

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:51 am

Paul Davy wrote:
As it stands presently, his account has been de-activated at his request, but it is everyone's hope that he will choose to return some day either in an official capacity as a moderator, or as a regular member, as he sees fit.
It is not going to happen.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:52 am

tiltbillings wrote:Image
I was going to use that one, but didn't want people to develop paranoia. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:59 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Image
I was going to use that one, but didn't want people to develop paranoia. :tongue:
It could be worse:

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:31 am

My interest in Tasmanian Devils goes back to a photo Tilt once posted in the Lounge here, of several young ones with mouths open displaying their extraordinary teeth. I hadn't known such unusual and endearing creatures existed.

Here are some healthy tame ones being cuddled :

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:11 pm

Endearing?
:jawdrop:
Not usually. They're the marsupial equivalents of the mustelids - weasels and wolverines - with habits to match.

:namaste:
Kim

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:23 pm

Is it true that buddhist tasmanian devils believe that if they achieve tasmanian devil sotapanahood that they will be reborn as honey badgers?
chownah

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:49 pm

Kim OHara wrote:Endearing?
Not usually. They're the marsupial equivalents of the mustelids - weasels and wolverines - with habits to match.

Kim
There are some old sayings in the UK which might apply, Kim : "Different strokes for different folks." and : "One man's meat is another man's poison." (or an animal loving veggie woman's poison, in this case.)

:)

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:56 pm

Aloka wrote:
Kim OHara wrote:Endearing?

Kim
There are some old sayings in the UK which might apply, Kim : "Different strokes for different folks." and : "One man's meat is another man's poison." (or an animal loving veggie woman's poison, in this case.)

:)
How about "it takes one to know one". :jumping:
chownah

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:05 pm

Paul Davy wrote:Until such time, the Tasmanian Devils are a fitting tribute to his legacy, and a reminder of his contributions towards the establishment and growth of this forum.
tiltbillings wrote:
Paul Davy wrote:
As it stands presently, his account has been de-activated at his request, but it is everyone's hope that he will choose to return some day either in an official capacity as a moderator, or as a regular member, as he sees fit.
It is not going to happen.
Regrettable that it is not going to happen. Thank you Paul Davy and Dan74 for shining a light.

Respect to Ben and tiltbillings for their contributions. They obviously did something right.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。