Seeking toronto Buddhists

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Coëmgenu

Seeking toronto Buddhists

Post by Coëmgenu »

This is an inquiry to any members of this forum who might be, or know someone, from Canada.

Is anyone here familiar, or acquainted with, the Mahavihara Temple in Scarborough/Toronto, Canada?

I've been trying to reach out to them online with little luck (I think their email might not be checked anymore) but I recently moved, and being in touch, once more, with a local Buddhist temple would be ideal. I used to go to a Jōdo Shinshū association in North York, but I live in Durham region now. I would go to the temple but I am shy :embarassed: and I still feel awkward if I am the only convert amongst a bunch of people who grew up in properly Buddhist households.

I suspect I'll eventually reach out to the temple myself, it would just be nice to have an "in" via this forum.

:anjali:
-Caoimhghín
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
SDC

Re: Seeking toronto Buddhists

Post by SDC »

I visited the West End Buddhist Centre just south of Toronto in Mississauga a few years back to meet a monk/friend who used to spend some time there. The place was busy --- in a good way. Everyone was very gracious and seemed very connected to the community.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Assaji

Re: Seeking toronto Buddhists

Post by Assaji »

There's a lot of Buddhist temples and centers in Ontario, you can find links to their websites at:
http://www.dhamma.ru/sadhu/188-ontario