Trusting in Brahma?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
cappuccino

Trusting in Brahma?

Post by cappuccino »

Ryan95227 wrote:Do you think this may be a bad choice?
Be more patient, trust god.
Last edited by cappuccino on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
bodom

Re: Seems like I'm slowly drifting away from Dhamma

Post by bodom »

cappuccino wrote:
Ryan95227 wrote:Do you think this may be a bad choice?
Have more faith in the future. Be more patient, trust god.
Advice like this will take one further away from the Buddha's Dhamma and is not helpful here.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

cappuccino wrote:I think not, trying to fix reality is misguided, karma doesn't adapt to our attempts.

In other words, faith, trust, hope.
Where does trusting in God fit in? Where does the Buddha tell us to trust in god?

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

bodom wrote:Where does trusting in God fit in? Where does the Buddha tell us to trust in god?
God the father is described in the suttas. He is said to be the ordainer.
See the great god (great brahma)
bodom

Post by bodom »

cappuccino wrote:Perhaps this is too difficult, but I infer…
(deduce or conclude from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements.)
Theravadan Buddhism is solidly rooted and grounded in Buddhavacana the words of the Buddha. If you are going to be participating on this forum then your claims need to be backed up with evidence from the Buddha's own words.

- BB
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

I am Brahmā, the Great Brahmā … the Supreme Being, the Ordainer, the Almighty, the Father of all that are and are to be.
Brahmajāla Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .bodh.html
Saoshun

Re: Trusting in god

Post by Saoshun »

Yeah, but those statements are not positive. If he is father of all then he is father of kilesas which created our samsara and feeling of suffering, desire so no matter how many tickets brahma will put on himself he or whoever else it's not a factor towards liberation. Only Dhamma, Sangha and Buddha are factors to liberation and are actually one.
Last edited by Saoshun on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember… the Buddha had said that everyone living in this world is crazy, by the phrase, “Sabbē prutajjana ummattakā”; excluding the Arahants, everyone else is crazy. Would you get angry if a mad person scolds? Do we get angry for a crazy thing done by a crazy person? Just think about it! :candle:
bodom

Post by bodom »

cappuccino wrote:I am Brahmā, the Great Brahmā … the Supreme Being, the Ordainer, the Almighty, the Father of all that are and are to be.
Brahmajāla Sutta
I will ask yet again: Where does the Buddha tell us to take refuge in and trust in Brahma (god)?

:anjali:

- BB
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

bodom wrote:Where does the Buddha tell us to take refuge in and trust in Brahma?
Since faith is a spiritual faculty, it applies to god.
I simply infer this…
bodom

Post by bodom »

cappuccino wrote:
bodom wrote:Where does the Buddha tell us to take refuge in and trust in Brahma?
Since faith is a spiritual faculty, it applies to god.
I simply infer this…
In Theravadan Buddhism our faith is placed in the Buddha, not brahma:
There is the case where the disciple of the noble ones is endowed with unwavering faith in the Awakened One: 'Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy & rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed.'
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

:anjali:

- BB
Thisperson

Post by Thisperson »

cappuccino wrote:I am Brahmā, the Great Brahmā … the Supreme Being, the Ordainer, the Almighty, the Father of all that are and are to be.
Brahmajāla Sutta
That part of the Sutta is pointing out how a being mistakenly believes himself to be an almighty/eternal creator God. It also explains how the beings which appear after him mistakenly believe to have been created by the first being to arise in the Brahma realm. It also explains how those same beings are reborn on Earth, recollect their past lives in the Brahma realm and conclude (again mistakenly) that they were created by the first being to arise in the Brahma realm who they take as their eternal creator.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

He is nonetheless the greatest god. And has a great deal of power (including over us).
robertk

Post by robertk »

cappuccino wrote:He is nonetheless the greatest god. And has a great deal of power (including over us).
Nothing in the scripts to indicate he has power over us .
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

robertk wrote:Nothing in the scripts to indicate he has power over us .
the Ordainer…
robertk

Re: Trusting in god

Post by robertk »

As already explAined by Thisperson the sutta shows thie various accolades he gives himself are mistaken.