How do Buddhists view Olympics?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Kare

Re: How do Buddhists view Olympics?

Post by Kare »

How do I view Olympics? Meditatively, with eyes closed.
Mettāya,
Kåre
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: A true Olympic moment

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

padmini wrote:Since it is related to this topic, I'd like to share with you this amazing Olympic story of kindness and compassion:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/a ... -collision
:group:
Those in the UK can watch the video on the BBC. No doubt it is on YouTube too by now.

In my opinion, engaging in competitive sports is good for young people. It is obviously much better for them to engage in serious meditation practice, but those who will do that are rare. Sports can increase positive spiritual qualities as well as negative egotistical emotions, so they are not intrinsically negative.

If doing sports keeps youngsters off the streets where they may be doing drugs and getting into crime, or out of bars and discos where they may be cultivating many bad habits, then it has to be a good thing. Later, if they have the potential to gain insight into the Dhamma, the good qualities of effort and determination, patience and self-discipline, will stand them in good stood to become medal winning meditators.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:goodpost:

I agree. Sometimes the persistence and determination and energy used can be transformed to other wholesome activities. I have seen some studies that young people and teens who participate in sports teams and competitions are less likely to get into trouble, less likely to get pregnant (too early).
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

David N. Snyder wrote:Sometimes the persistence and determination and energy used can be transformed to other wholesome activities. I have seen some studies that young people and teens who participate in sports teams and competitions are less likely to get into trouble, less likely to get pregnant (too early).
Agreed. I think the critical factor for young people is to live in a way where the peer group is not the dominant influence in determining their character and emerging sense of identity. Athletics provide an alternative structure of support that cultivates goal setting and achievement in a safe and healthy environment, preparing the ground for future academic choices.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ »

I believe that if one is not careful, competition breeds hostility, greed, and delusion.

In a way, there is no winner: losing causes pain, and winning causes animosity and bolstering of the ego.

However, I admire the skill and dedication that the Olympic athletes have, and I don't at all see the Olympics as an unskillful act. If anything, they are inspiring.
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia
_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ »

Winning gives birth to hostility.
Losing, one lies down in pain.
The calmed lie down with ease,
having set winning & losing aside.

Dhammapada 15.201.
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

A moment shared between Olympic athletes of North Korea and South Korea
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
No_Mind

Re: A true Olympic moment

Post by No_Mind »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: In my opinion, engaging in competitive sports is good for young people. It is obviously much better for them to engage in serious meditation practice, but those who will do that are rare. Sports can increase positive spiritual qualities as well as negative egotistical emotions, so they are not intrinsically negative.

If doing sports keeps youngsters off the streets where they may be doing drugs and getting into crime, or out of bars and discos where they may be cultivating many bad habits, then it has to be a good thing. Later, if they have the potential to gain insight into the Dhamma, the good qualities of effort and determination, patience and self-discipline, will stand them in good stood to become medal winning meditators.
Bhante, that is a perfect summary. The two cannot coexist but being a competitive sportsperson can later help one become a great meditator because of the good qualities sports inculcates.

At last now with your answer, I can ask my real question in another subsection (I tend to post questions in stages .. putting it all out there causes confusion and off topic chatter)

Should we not begin serious practice unless we are at the stage in life conducive to commencing it?

Please post your replies there (Gen Theravada Discussion)

err I replied to a thread I began .. "How do Buddhists view Olympics" but I see it appears as "A true Olympic moment" .. my thread has been reborn :thinking: with a new name but same Citta :?
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Miso

Post by Miso »

''Buddhist'' is a very broad term, these days.
In the time of the Buddha things would be quite different indeed. Of course no one would call themselves Buddhist back then.

For a sincere practitioner, striving with diligence to reach the stream.. then there is no doubt about it, any shape or form of competition is harmful to oneself, unskillful.

All forms of competition either be sport or commerce is harmful for the world. It breeds anger, jealousy, envy.

There is even competition here on this site or anywhere else in the world, regarding our own knowledge or wisdom of Dhamma.
Venerable Gunaratana once said: We do not like someone to be wiser than we are, for we are deluded about ourselves...
If one has sufficient insight,they will know this to be true.

What is the purpose of this noble Dhamma taught by the Buddha. It is true peace, therefore true happiness...
sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya