Do you celebrate Christmas?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.

Do you celebrate Christmas?

Yes
66%
No
29%
On Occasion
5%

Total votes: 41

zavk

Re: Do you celebrate Christmas?

Post by zavk »

Thanks Tilt.

Here's a song by the Flaming Lips about Christmas that I like a lot. The first line pretty much echoes the doctrine of anicca!
A Change At Christmas (Say it isn't so), by the Flaming Lips

I know everything changes
Yeah, it's strange how time marches on
Maybe there'll be some time in the future
Oh, tell me I'm not wrong

Oh, if I could stop time
It would be a frozen moment just around Christmas
When all of mankind reveals its truest potential
And there is sympathy for the suffering
Yes, there is sympathy for those who are suffering

And the world embraces peace and love and mercy
Instead of power and fear
And as sure as I'm standing here
I swear it really does appear that a change comes over us
Yes, some kind of change comes over us

And it's glimpsed for one shining moment
And this change feels like a change that's real
But then it passes along with the season
And then we just go back to the way we were
Yes, we just go back to the way we were

Say it isn't so
Tell me I'm not just a dreamer
I'm talking with a friend and he knows how it ends
He says it's easier, that's just the way we are
That's human nature and that's just the way we are
Oh, say it isn't so!
With metta,
zavk
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:As promised, the infamous Xmas Buddha-bush at Wat PaPong in 1974. Ajahn Sumedho is standing behind and just the right of Ajahn Chah. Paul Brieiter (co-author of A STILL FOREST POOL) is the burly guy, front row with glasses. There are a couple of other Western (now) ajahns in this photo, and the stasr of the photo is the scraggly Xmas Buddha-bush far right fron row held by the lay-guy.
Thanks. Is this going to be our Christmas Guessing Game?

Far right: Amaro?
Beside and slightly in front: Tiradhammao?
Shouldn't Brahm be there?

Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:As promised, the infamous Xmas Buddha-bush at Wat PaPong in 1974. Ajahn Sumedho is standing behind and just the right of Ajahn Chah. Paul Brieiter (co-author of A STILL FOREST POOL) is the burly guy, front row with glasses. There are a couple of other Western (now) ajahns in this photo, and the stasr of the photo is the scraggly Xmas Buddha-bush far right fron row held by the lay-guy.
Thanks. Is this going to be our Christmas Guessing Game?

Far right: Amaro?
Shouldn't Brahm be there?

Mike
Your guess is better than mine. I was not there, and the only one I knew of that bunch was Ajahn Sumedho. This photo was given to me when I was in Thailand by Western monk not in this photo but who was part of that group. It is a great photo, especially for those who know these venerable guys.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote: Your guess is better than mine. I was not there, and the only one I knew of that bunch was Ajahn Sumedho. This photo was given to me when I was in Thailand by Western monk not in this photo but who was part of that group. It is a great photo, especially for those who know these venerable guys.
Perhaps you could start an "Identify the Ajahns" thread?

Out of the possible people there I've only met Tiradhammo (I saw him a week or two ago) and Brahm (only briefly at a weekend workshop - I never had a chance to have a real conversation with him). Ven Gavesako may be able to help us out if we get stuck... Otherwise I can forward it to Ajahn Tiradhammo. I'll print it out and show it to the people here who are dedicated students of his...

Mike
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

mikenz66 wrote: Far right: Amaro?
Hi Mike

Those were my two guesses also.

Nice photos Tilt
:anjali:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

My wife and daughter are Christians, so they celebrate Christmas. I celebrate peace on earth, good will toward people, etc.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I am fairly sure that the Bhikku on the far right facing camera is the late Ajahn Anando of blessed memory Tilt.
Nice picture of you with Ajahn Munindo, I know we shouldnt have favourite Bhikkus, but he is one of mine... :smile:

Just had another look, and I am fairly sure that third on the right of Luang Por Chah, facing camera is Ajahn Viradhammo.

I think that Ajahn Amaro is of a slightly later " vintage" by a year or two than this batch.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Peter,
PeterB wrote: I think that Ajahn Amaro is of a slightly later " vintage" by a year or two than this batch.
Yes, he's listed as 1978 here:
http://www.dhammatalks.org.uk/index.php ... gory&id=43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And Ajahn Tiradhammo moved to WPP in 1975 according to this:
http://www.dhammatalks.org.uk/index.php ... &Itemid=67" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back to the drawing board... :reading:

Mike
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

thats really cool tilt!!

also i celbrate on christmas but not christmas.. if that makes sense. or if im really festive i do giftmas.

one year i spent xmas at a jodoshinshu temple and they went into how christ is light and amida is the buddha of infinate light so the where celebrating light coming into the world..
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
msmedusa

Post by msmedusa »

I celebrate Christmas with my family too. I have always loved it and am the biggest kid on Christmas morning! :jumping:

Ours too is a non-Christian affair. Mostly its about family, laughter,and counting blessings.