Inspiring Words

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by Sam Vara » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:32 am

Dhammanando wrote: Agape, the contagious gentleness between people
Superb. The philosopher as poet.

User avatar
Will
Posts: 791
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by Will » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Brothers and sisters, continue to think about what is good and worthy of praise. Think about what is true and honorable and right and pure and beautiful and respected.
Philippians 4:8
Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Nietzsche

User avatar
Will
Posts: 791
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by Will » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:01 pm

8. The best (man) is like water.
Water is good; it benefits all things and does not
compete with them.
It dwells in (lowly) places that all disdain.
This is why it is so near to Tao.
[The best man] in his dwelling loves the earth.
In his heart, he loves what is profound.
In his associations, he loves humanity.
In his words, he loves faithfulness.
In government, he loves order.
In handling affairs, he loves competence.
In his activities, he loves timeliness.
It is because he does not compete that he is
without reproach.
Lao Tzu
Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Nietzsche

User avatar
Will
Posts: 791
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by Will » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Under the auspices and direction of Divine Providence,
your forefathers removed to the wilds and wilderness of
America. By their industry they made it a fruitful, and by
their virtue a happy country. And we should still have enjoyed
the blessings of peace and plenty, if we had not forgotten
the source from which those blessings flowed; and
permitted our country to be contaminated by the many
shameful vices which have prevailed among us.
John Jay

Too many vices today, as in 1770s, flow from forgetting the Source of blessings!
Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Nietzsche

User avatar
Will
Posts: 791
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by Will » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:10 pm

Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Friedrich Nietzsche
Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Nietzsche

chownah
Posts: 6569
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by chownah » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:32 am

Will wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:58 pm
Under the auspices and direction of Divine Providence,
your forefathers removed to the wilds and wilderness of
America. By their industry they made it a fruitful, and by
their virtue a happy country. And we should still have enjoyed
the blessings of peace and plenty, if we had not forgotten
the source from which those blessings flowed; and
permitted our country to be contaminated by the many
shameful vices which have prevailed among us.
John Jay

Too many vices today, as in 1770s, flow from forgetting the Source of blessings!
I wonder how inspiring this is for a native americian indian. Non-indians forget that there was a fruitful, virtuous, and happy country (several infact) there before the europeans invaded and stole the land, evicted its former inhabitants, and shaped it into thier own image which they still to this day worship as can be seen at the beginning of major sporting events where most people willingly pledge their lives to their fouly gotten country and those who do not are publicly scorned and against whom coercion is heaped.
chownah

User avatar
Will
Posts: 791
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by Will » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:17 pm

Methinks chownah is missing the reason for this thread and the specific post. In the latter case it is "vices flow from forgetting the Source of blessings!"

As for your contempt for the USA, may that vast group of haters be happy.

However, what nation on the planet today has treated their indigenous peoples well? That is correct - not one.
Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Nietzsche

User avatar
Lucas Oliveira
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Some people will love you
and it won’t be because you’re funny
it’ll be because they need to laugh.
Some people will hate you
and it won’t be because you’re arrogant,
it’ll be because you look like their father.
People don’t hate you because of who you are,
they hate the part of themselves that you fit into.
People will love you,
people will hate you,
and none of it will have anything to do with you.

~ Charlotte.


Source: http://dharmalog.com/2013/05/06/as-pess ... ham-hicks/


:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

User avatar
Lucas Oliveira
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:52 pm

Will wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:47 am
Hold aloft the light and stand firm to thy post,
Till all wandering souls have reached their goal in safety.
Service brings strength and renewed life,
Love cures all weariness,
And Faith, the shining jewel of life, performs all miracles.
Swami Paramananda

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

chownah
Posts: 6569
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by chownah » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:34 am

Will wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:17 pm
Methinks chownah is missing the reason for this thread and the specific post. In the latter case it is "vices flow from forgetting the Source of blessings!"
The reason is not missed. The source of the blessings was the land and resources which were stolen from the nations of people who already lived there when the europeans arrived.....and according to John Jay's words it was done "Under the auspices and direction of Divine Providence"! He is saying that god sanctioned their genocidal actions and even directed them to the task!!! :jawdrop:
Seems that John Jay had alot of dust in his eyes....he obviously did not see things as they really were.
Will wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:17 pm
As for your contempt for the USA, may that vast group of haters be happy.
You slander me. I have not expressed contempt for the usa. I have only disassembled the false narrative about its origins and shed some light on how it really was. Some people can not handle the truth however.
Will wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:17 pm
However, what nation on the planet today has treated their indigenous peoples well? That is correct - not one.
Here you will find a list of 567 nations which do:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... zed_tribes
chownah

User avatar
Will
Posts: 791
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by Will » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:44 pm

The flower that smiles to-day
To-morrow dies;
All that we wish to stay
Tempts and then flies.
What is this world's delight?
Lightning that mocks the night,
Brief even as bright.

Virtue, how frail it is!
Friendship how rare!
Love, how it sells poor bliss
For proud despair!
But we, though soon they fall,
Survive their joy, and all
Which ours we call.

Whilst skies are blue and bright,
Whilst flowers are gay,
Whilst eyes that change ere night
Make glad the day;
Whilst yet the calm hours creep,
Dream thou—and from thy sleep
Then wake to weep.
Shelley
Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Nietzsche

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 5631
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by Aloka » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Image

Professor Brian Cox, English physicist.

.

denise
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:56 pm
Location: Pahrump

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by denise » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:42 pm

"Resting the mind is not selfish"......... Thanissaro Bhikkhu

User avatar
Will
Posts: 791
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by Will » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:27 pm

The deluded claim that the false is true, but they fail to see the truth in the falsity; the enlightened see that the false is not true, and so they are able to see the truth in falsity.
Fa Zang
Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Nietzsche

denise
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:56 pm
Location: Pahrump

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by denise » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:07 pm

"if you can't change your fate, change your attitude." Amy Tan

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 5631
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by Aloka » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:37 pm

.

The good man is the friend of all living things.

~ Mahatma Gandhi


.

User avatar
Lucas Oliveira
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:01 pm

If those who lead you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the Kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living Father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty.

Thomas the Apostle


https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Thomas_the_Apostle


:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

chownah
Posts: 6569
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by chownah » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:13 am

denise wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:07 pm
"if you can't change your fate, change your attitude." Amy Tan
Good work amy tan!.....and denise too!

I think this quote goes well with one of my favorites: "If there is no solution then there is no problem."
chownah

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:15 pm

"The highest human pursuit is the pursuit of the ultimate truth about the ultimate matters. One has to prosecute the pursuit in different ways. One is by working from within one's own tradition, despite its manifold limitations and defects, penetrating into it as deeply as possible, and taking what is good from it."

Bill Vallicella

denise
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:56 pm
Location: Pahrump

Re: Inspiring Words

Post by denise » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:23 pm

accentuate the positive

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests