Do you smoke?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Do you smoke cigarettes?

I smoke and don't intend to quit
7%
I smoke but am trying to quit
10%
I used to smoke but I quit
40%
I have never smoked
43%

Total votes: 58

Stiphan

Do you smoke?

Post by Stiphan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:48 pm

Just curious what percentage of Buddhists smoke cigarettes.

As for me, I've never smoked a single cigarette.

A Medic

Re: Do you smoke?

Post by A Medic » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:11 pm

I smoke and I love it. I also hate it. I don't know why I like it, but I guess it is kind of a distraction from whats going on. I need to quit.

Tex

Post by Tex » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:20 pm

Smoked from age 14-33.

Quitting was of the better decisions I've made, and easily the hardest.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:13 pm

yesterday i smoked 2 pipefuls of tobacco and a cigar. my blood pressure is slightly low and my resting pulse rate was in the mid 60's the last time it was checked. im 53 years old. i will give up my pipe when it is pried from my cold dead hand. :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:59 pm

You may not be able to smoke if you get tongue cancer.... :o

I smoked from 15-33. (I think) With interruptions.

Ben

Post by Ben » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:27 pm

I used to smoke but gave up many years ago.
Thankfully, addiction to nicotine is in the past for me.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:47 pm

I used to smoke but gave it up years ago. One of the first things I noticed when I gave it up was that my sense of smell came back again......and pooh, I suddenly became aware of the strong smell on the breath and clothing of smokers. In fact if I'm sitting at the back of a bus, I can smell that someone is a smoker as soon as they get onto the bus...how weird is that ?...or maybe its just normal - I've never asked anyone else if they can smell smokers from a distance !

:D

m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:29 pm

Annabel wrote:You may not be able to smoke if you get tongue cancer.... :o

there is a risk of that. an acceptable one to me at my level of use. its pretty safe at 3 bowls a day or less, statistically anyway, however, i try not to run with my pipe in my mouth.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 pm

A Medic wrote:I smoke and I love it. I also hate it. I don't know why I like it, but I guess it is kind of a distraction from whats going on. I need to quit.
Nicotine is a highly addictive drug that can make you feel good.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:29 am

Greetings,

Thankfully I've never had the inclination.

When I was younger I had the odd cigarette when hanging out with friends... but I doubt I've smoked more than 10 in my whole life.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:42 pm

Aloka wrote:I used to smoke but gave it up years ago. One of the first things I noticed when I gave it up was that my sense of smell came back again......and pooh, I suddenly became aware of the strong smell on the breath and clothing of smokers. In fact if I'm sitting at the back of a bus, I can smell that someone is a smoker as soon as they get onto the bus...how weird is that ?...or maybe its just normal - I've never asked anyone else if they can smell smokers from a distance !

:D
Yep. I can. I also don't allow smoking in my rooms.It stays (the smell) for a week, minimum.

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:01 pm

m0rl0ck wrote:

there is a risk of that. an acceptable one to me at my level of use. its pretty safe at 3 bowls a day or less, statistically anyway, however, i try not to run with my pipe in my mouth.
My mother died from tongue cancer, believe me, it's nothing you wanna get and die from.

First, you get half your tongue removed, and with the rest you can neither speak, nor eat. You have excruciating pain after surgery....and the doctors tell you if they give you more morphine, your heart will stop beating. Almost the better option, if you consider the rest of your life:
You need a something into your stomach, so people can inject liquid food.
It gets infected, you nearly die from that. Then radiation therapy, because you lost too much weight to handle chemo...

Want more?

Break the attachment please, I care about you. :heart:

((((Morlock)))), try. Chewing gum helped me enormously, I carried chocolate cigarettes around, I got help.

I used Walnut from the Bachflower remedies, after 5 weeks most people stop, suddenly don't need it anymore.

? :smile:

Apologies, I give advice, without anybody asking for it... :embarassed:
Last edited by Annapurna on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notself

Post by notself » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:51 pm

Annabel,

My Aunt died of tongue cancer. She was a smoker. It was so sad. You have my deepest sympathy for the loss of your mother. I think you comments should be read by every smoker. I too will offer some unsolicited advice to the smokers out there.

My husband quit smoking after 30 years with the last two years smoking 2-3 packs a day. He invented this silly and interesting way to quit which really worked for him.

He got three small glass jars. (Baby food jars work well.) He put two cigarette butts in each jar and added about 1/2 inch of water to each jar. The jar should have a good tight lid. He kept one jar at home, one in his work place and one in the car. Every time he wanted a cigarette, he opened the jar and inhaled deeply. No, this was not aversion therapy. The smell of nicotine satisfied his urge to smoke. At the end of four weeks he barely used the jars at all. He hasn't smoke since and it has been 15 years.
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:27 pm

Thank you, Notself. I'm glad your husband stopped. I know what your aunt went through.

I will have to add, my mother was in no known risk group for tongue cancer, except for sipping on one tiny glass of Bailey's all evening, but the prolonged exposure to high percentage alcohol may just have added to some other factors.

I would avoid anything that can cause cancer, hell, avoid life...many factors are known to us, and those we should avoid.

Like smoked red meat.
Last edited by Annapurna on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msmedusa

Post by msmedusa » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:55 pm

Annabel wrote:
m0rl0ck wrote:

My mother died from tongue cancer, believe me, it's nothing you wanna get and die from.
So sorry to hear about your mothers suffering Anna :hug:

I feel the same about lung cancer. My mother died of this at the age of 66. Her death was directly related to her habit of chain smoking . This was despite the fact that she stopped smoking completely at 40. :jawdrop:

Witnessing her experience was enough to make both my own children pledge never to touch a cigarette themselves.

Medusa

Medusa