How do you spend your time? What kind of work do you do?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Chi

How do you spend your time? What kind of work do you do?

Post by Chi »

(cross-posting from another meditation forum)

Hi Dhamma Friends,

Let's start a discussion / survey about our day-to-day lives and how we pass our time as "people."

I'm in my late 20's and I feel like I lack worldly direction. Other than the Dhamma (maybe minus right livelihood), I have no other burning interests. I've put off handling aspects of my relative life for a few years now and it's all coming to a head in terms of needing to find work, pay off some debts, live a normal life for a while instead of trying to run away all the time. I'm seeking some inspiration from all of my friends of this Board. Sometimes I feel like meditation / Buddhist forums are the only places I feel connected with real Dhamma practitioners if I am not living, volunteering and/or retreating at a center or monastary or whatever. The Buddhist path can feel lonely at times....

What kind of work do you do?
How do you spend your time outside of work?
Do you have friends who aren't into meditation/Buddhism? What kinds of things do you talk about and do?
If you're in a partnership, is your partner into your lifestyle? If no, how do you deal with it?

Many blessings for all of your wonderful energies and advice. Just writing this stuff is therapeutic.
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.
Keith

Re: How do you spend your time? What kind of work do you do?

Post by Keith »

What kind of work do you do?:
I'm a Physics teacher and Head of Department.

How do you spend your time outside of work?:
I am a Scout leader and a father too.

Do you have friends who aren't into meditation/Buddhism?:
Don't really have any friends.

What kinds of things do you talk about and do?:
I talk about many things, mainly Physics and education. I play the ukulele and the piano too.

If you're in a partnership, is your partner into your lifestyle?:
Hit and miss. After 8 years of practice I think she now tolerates it. We don't discuss Buddhism much.

If no, how do you deal with it?:
Don't really understand the question.
Chi

Post by Chi »

Keith wrote: If no, how do you deal with it?:
Don't really understand the question.
Thank you for taking the time to respond Keith!

By this question, I think I meant how does it affect you mentally and emotionally.
Alexander____

Post by Alexander____ »

I work at a tech startup in healthcare leading a software development team and running a pilot of it. I trained and practised as a doctor but that wasn't the life for me. This is my last go to try something fairly conventional...

I meditate, garden, spend time in nature, cook a lot as I'm vegan, see friends, make music sometimes, started learning Arabic

I only have one friend who is into Buddhism

Anything and everything really while trying to keep in the realm of right speech of course

Yes she approves although does not believe the validity of the Buddha's story
kendali

Post by kendali »

Chi wrote:(cross-posting from another meditation forum)

Hi Dhamma Friends,

Let's start a discussion / survey about our day-to-day lives and how we pass our time as "people."

I'm in my late 20's and I feel like I lack worldly direction. Other than the Dhamma (maybe minus right livelihood), I have no other burning interests. I've put off handling aspects of my relative life for a few years now and it's all coming to a head in terms of needing to find work, pay off some debts, live a normal life for a while instead of trying to run away all the time. I'm seeking some inspiration from all of my friends of this Board. Sometimes I feel like meditation / Buddhist forums are the only places I feel connected with real Dhamma practitioners if I am not living, volunteering and/or retreating at a center or monastary or whatever. The Buddhist path can feel lonely at times....
It can feel lonely, yes. I don't live near a practice-compatible monastery but I do find friends/spiritual seekers within a local Unitarian Universalist church. There is an international subgroup of Buddhists within the UU but there are no sanghas near me.

I was a part-time EMT and worked in personal finance. I had an accident and had to retire early due to a disability.

My main hobby is music. I do online collaboration with musicians from around the world. I just finished a song with a percussionist from Myanmar. It's a small world. I also enjoy photography - still life, mostly.

Do you have friends who aren't into meditation/Buddhism? What kinds of things do you talk about and do?
Most friends (I have relatively few) are not into Buddhism - they're mostly atheist, Jewish, or Christian. We usually just make small talk. Right now politics are big so there's talk around that, too, but we are all of like mind.

If you're in a partnership, is your partner into your lifestyle? If no, how do you deal with it?
My wife is active in the local Jewish community and leads a Torah study. She's very accepting of my beliefs as I am of her beliefs. I'm also Jewish but I reject theism of any type except for the very abstract.
Buddhaṁ saraṇaṁ gacchāmi.
Dhammaṁ saraṇaṁ gacchāmi.
Saṇghaṁ saraṇaṁ gacchāmi.

Not to do evil, to cultivate merit, to purify one's mind - this is the Teaching of the Buddhas. (Dhp 183)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Currently, I work as a guide - I take people walking and canoeing in the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area.
Meditation, administrating DW, research, spending time with family doing various things and photography.
Do you have friends who aren't into meditation/Buddhism?

Most of my friends are not Buddhist.
What kinds of things do you talk about and do?
We talk about the things most people talk to their friends about: our children, families, pets, work, community, politics.
If you're in a partnership, is your partner into your lifestyle?
My wife is sympathetic to Buddhism but is not a Buddhist herself.
If no, how do you deal with it?
Deal with what?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Pumo

Post by Pumo »

Well, although not a totally unwholesome job, my job is unfortunately not completely aligned with the Dhamma (due to health, economical and social reasons) and Right Livelihood.
My work consists on selling cheap merchandise for teens and young people based on Comics and Japanese Cartoon (Anime) themes.
I sell it at a monthly event and at a small store downtown.
Unfortunately, due to several (mis)regulations at my place and economical issues, some of the stuff I sell is not totally legal, as it consists on selling cheap versions of unlicensed (on my country) Anime series and home made posters of cartoon characters, but considering my health, my circle of friends and my hobby, it was the best job I could find. *sigh* :thinking:
But nonetheless, I enjoy my job and my relationship with my friends at job!

I like to go with family or alone downtown to buy stuff and eat, and to listen and compose music!except on Uposatha days).
I also like to study the Dhamma, meditate, go to the Tibet House at my city and play a bit of videogames every now and then (also, not on Uposatha).

All of them! lol :tongue:

I use to talk about science, about Dhamma (specially to my family), about Anime (as it's part of my job), and many other themes.
I also talk about family issues every now and then (mainly to bring some balance to the family) but *mostly* on a gentle way.

If you're in a partnership, is your partner into your lifestyle? If no, how do you deal with it?:

I don't have a partner, although I know two girls I like a lot, but none of them are into my lifestyle and it's hard for me to break the ice, as we are considered distant friends. But well, I don't have to deal with the different lifestyles at least! :P
'may all beings be happy at heart.' - Karaniya Metta Sutta :buddha1:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Chi wrote: What kind of work do you do?
Landlord.
Meditation, walking meditation, fitness activities (cycling, walking, stairclimbing, weightlifting), watching tv (news, documentaries, some sports), participating in Dhamma groups around town. And of course posting on DW, answering emails, etc.
No, but not because I reject them, it's that most people make friends at their workplace and that would be a potential conflict of interest for me as their employer/boss. My wife is the chief of staff of our business who handles all the day-to-day supervision and interaction with our employees.
Dhamma.
Yes.

Interesting topic to see the variety of livelihoods and activities of our members.
Sea Turtle

Post by Sea Turtle »

Chi wrote:What kind of work do you do?
Medical writer (pharmaceutical sales training)
Chi wrote:How do you spend your time outside of work?
Caring for my elderly mother and disabled brother; hiking; walking; meditation/Dhamma study; connecting with my family; biking; spending time with the cats; Tai Chi/Qigong; canoeing; observing nature; written correspondence/paper crafts; meal planning and cooking
Chi wrote:Do you have friends who aren't into meditation/Buddhism?
Yes, without any obstacles; however, I'm mostly solitary at this time
Chi wrote:What kinds of things do you talk about and do?
Whatever is appropriate to the situation, while striving to maintain the precepts.
Chi wrote:If you're in a partnership, is your partner into your lifestyle? If no, how do you deal with it?
My partner, while not Buddhist, is wholly supportive.
jrl

Post by jrl »

I work in the rail industry, not a rewarding career but pays bills for now. In my free time, I meditate, read Buddhist books, mountain and road cycling, hiking and enjoy knife collecting. I don't really have any close friends but most people I know are not into Buddhism. I am a lone wolf in that regard. My wife is very supportive of my practice, she is not a practionner though.
dagon

Post by dagon »

Provide physical, emotional and behavioural care for sick elderly people and people with disabilities according to my employer. Practise Brahma-vihara, explore The 4 Noble truths and associate with Theravada Buddhist co-workers according to me. :smile:
Meditation, study, talking with my partner, other friends in SE Asia and the handful of Thai kids I have "adopted"/support.
Spend some time with my kids/ grandkids and supporting people recovering from addictions.
Go to one of a number of Theravada monasteries for meditation and classes.
Do Physio while listening to Dhamma talks
Sleep and do ADLs
Closest non-Buddhist friend is a JW that I have got into mindfulness and meditation. :thinking: I have a number of Hindu, Muslim and Christian friends.
Conversation is limited because I do not watch TV and rarely listen to music (they both intrude into the mind). Most of my conversations that do not directly relate to the Dhamma are with co-worker, clients and their families so tend to focus on sickness, dying, death, grief and letting go.
She is a Buddhist but get nervous when I go to the temples and hairdressers. :shrug:
If no, how do you deal with it?:
It is not my problem so I do not take ownership of it. I refer her to the Teachings, monks and her grandmother.

metta
dagon
Chi

Post by Chi »

Alexander____ wrote:What kind of work do you do?:
I work at a tech startup in healthcare leading a software development team and running a pilot of it. I trained and practised as a doctor but that wasn't the life for me. This is my last go to try something fairly conventional...

I meditate, garden, spend time in nature, cook a lot as I'm vegan, see friends, make music sometimes, started learning Arabic

I only have one friend who is into Buddhism

Anything and everything really while trying to keep in the realm of right speech of course

Yes she approves although does not believe the validity of the Buddha's story
Thanks for sharing Alexander!

What tech startup do you work at? It's amazing you one from doctor to software development...how many years did you practice as a doctor? What made you dislike the lifestyle?
Chi

Post by Chi »

kendali wrote: It can feel lonely, yes. I don't live near a practice-compatible monastery but I do find friends/spiritual seekers within a local Unitarian Universalist church. There is an international subgroup of Buddhists within the UU but there are no sanghas near me.

I was a part-time EMT and worked in personal finance. I had an accident and had to retire early due to a disability.

My main hobby is music. I do online collaboration with musicians from around the world. I just finished a song with a percussionist from Myanmar. It's a small world. I also enjoy photography - still life, mostly.

Most friends (I have relatively few) are not into Buddhism - they're mostly atheist, Jewish, or Christian. We usually just make small talk. Right now politics are big so there's talk around that, too, but we are all of like mind.

My wife is active in the local Jewish community and leads a Torah study. She's very accepting of my beliefs as I am of her beliefs. I'm also Jewish but I reject theism of any type except for the very abstract.
Thanks for sharing Kendali!

I'm sorry to hear about your accident....

Have you ever been interested in the mystical aspects of Judaism?
Chi

Post by Chi »

Ben wrote:
Currently, I work as a guide - I take people walking and canoeing in the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area.
Meditation, administrating DW, research, spending time with family doing various things and photography.

Most of my friends are not Buddhist.
We talk about the things most people talk to their friends about: our children, families, pets, work, community, politics.
My wife is sympathetic to Buddhism but is not a Buddhist herself.
If no, how do you deal with it?
Deal with what?
Thanks for sharing Ben.

With the last question, I meant how do you deal with it mentally, emotionally? I've never been in a serious adult relationship so I have never experience having a partner that does not think similarly in terms of meditation/Buddhism.
Chi

Post by Chi »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Chi wrote: What kind of work do you do?
Landlord.
Meditation, walking meditation, fitness activities (cycling, walking, stairclimbing, weightlifting), watching tv (news, documentaries, some sports), participating in Dhamma groups around town. And of course posting on DW, answering emails, etc.
No, but not because I reject them, it's that most people make friends at their workplace and that would be a potential conflict of interest for me as their employer/boss. My wife is the chief of staff of our business who handles all the day-to-day supervision and interaction with our employees.
Dhamma.
Yes.

Interesting topic to see the variety of livelihoods and activities of our members.
Thanks for sharing here and at the other DW David!

What are the best and worst aspects of being a landlord? How did you get started in investing in homes? I've thought about it as well, because I can deal with all types of people quite easily if I put my mind to it, but Real Estate seems like it brings out all this money-motivatedness in me....