Deadly Aussie Animals

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
cooran

Deadly Aussie Animals

Post by cooran »

Deadly Animals

Come To Australia by The Scared Weird Little Guys

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy!

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
tiltbillings

Re: Deadly Aussie Animals

Post by tiltbillings »

I like it. Catchy tune.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
samseva

Post by samseva »

Haha. They had vegemite with all the pictures of dangerous and venomous animals. :lol:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Don't laugh about Vegemite - it's one of the few known drop-bear repellents.

:coffee:
Kim
dagon

Post by dagon »

Kim OHara wrote:Don't laugh about Vegemite - it's one of the few known drop-bear repellents.

Kim
Dead bacteria and salt should be a repellent to all thinking life forms :lol:

At least Red Backs look nice :roll:
dagon
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

dagon wrote:
Kim OHara wrote:Don't laugh about Vegemite - it's one of the few known drop-bear repellents.

Kim
Dead bacteria and salt should be a repellent to all thinking life forms :lol:

At least Red Backs look nice :roll:
dagon
Not only are there about 10 times as many bacterial than human cells in or on your body, but combined all the different species have about 143 times as many genes. It's really not that gross when you realize they're inside us, outside us, on us, and virtually everywhere we go. It's only the dangerous ones that you've got to worry about, though if you have a compromised immune system, that category gets big.

We think eukaryotes are the cool kids, but it's really the prokaryotes that are dominant—they'll be here long after we've gone the way of the dodo. 8-)

And to stay on topic, here are Australia's 10 most deadly animals.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Mkoll wrote:... And to stay on topic, here are Australia's 10 most deadly animals.
It's a strange list. :rolleye:
The Australian Museum in Sydney has a ranking of Australia's most dangerous animals based on the level of threat they pose, combined with how likely an unlucky punter is to encounter one in the wild.
Martyn Robinson, a naturalist at the Australian Museum, thinks the threat from creatures that bite and sting may be overblown compared to the threat from moving vehicles. "The most dangerous thing you can do is probably just crossing the road," he told Mashable Australia.
Probably right, too, however much it spoils our reputation for wild wildlife.

Kim
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

aaah-something.jpg
aaah-something.jpg (23.32 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
Ben

Post by Ben »

Kim OHara wrote:
Mkoll wrote:... And to stay on topic, here are Australia's 10 most deadly animals.
It's a strange list. :rolleye:
The Australian Museum in Sydney has a ranking of Australia's most dangerous animals based on the level of threat they pose, combined with how likely an unlucky punter is to encounter one in the wild.
Martyn Robinson, a naturalist at the Australian Museum, thinks the threat from creatures that bite and sting may be overblown compared to the threat from moving vehicles. "The most dangerous thing you can do is probably just crossing the road," he told Mashable Australia.
Probably right, too, however much it spoils our reputation for wild wildlife.

Kim
on one of my guided walks I stop at a point and ask my charges what they think the most dangerous (non-human) animal is. Of course, most people offer up the local subspecies of the tiger snake. I then tell them that you're more likely to die from an anaphylactic reaction to the sting of an ant, the jack jumper.
The last time someone died from a tiger snake bite in Tas was in 1967.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote: on one of my guided walks I stop at a point and ask my charges what they think the most dangerous (non-human) animal is. Of course, most people offer up the local subspecies of the tiger snake. I then tell them that you're more likely to die from an anaphylactic reaction to the sting of an ant, the jack jumper.
I bet that that was real relief. Now this poor sap looks at every any scuttering along ground and views it with abject terror.

Ben

Post by Ben »

tiltbillings wrote:
Ben wrote: on one of my guided walks I stop at a point and ask my charges what they think the most dangerous (non-human) animal is. Of course, most people offer up the local subspecies of the tiger snake. I then tell them that you're more likely to die from an anaphylactic reaction to the sting of an ant, the jack jumper.
I bet that that was real relief. Now this poor sap looks at every any scuttering along ground and views it with abject terror.
What I forgot to mention is that I give that little talk right at the nest of a jack jumper colony. I then point out the identifying features of a colony (a pile of fine gravel) and then tell people to be mindful of where they're walking so as they don't stand or sit on a nest. It's all about managing risk and making it a seemless and informative part of the walk and not to scare the pants off my guests.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

That's a good thought. If you did scare the pants off them they would be much more likely to be bitten when they sat down.

:tongue:
Kim
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

This could go here or in the 'joke' thread:

Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945