Consciousness

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Ron-The-Elder

Consciousness

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:14 pm

Years ago and for many years I have been drawn to a better understanding of consciousness. We all have it. We all experience it directly but none of us seem to be able to agree upon what it is exactly.

Recently, having been sent a TED talk regarding consciousness I revisited my study of the topic and have been trying to gather my thoughts and collect what I have learned over the years. I thought others may want to join me in this effort and therefore I have started this thread, hoping that anyone who wishes will join me in the effort.

I would like to begin here:
The consciousness of living beings with bodies isn't our consciousness. The consciousness of living beings without bodies isn't our consciousness. Our consciousness, which is aware of these things, isn't us. These things get let go, in line with their nature. That's when we can be said to know the five aggregates, the six sense media. We gain release from the world and can open our eyes. Our eyes will be able to see far, as when we slide away the walls on our home and can see for hundreds of yards. When our eyes aren't stuck on forms, we can gain clairvoyant powers and see far. When our ears aren't stuck on sounds, we can hear distant sounds. When our nose isn't stuck on smells, we can sniff the smell of the devas, instead of irritating our nose with the smell of human beings. When flavors don't get stuck on the tongue we can taste heavenly medicine and food. When the mind isn't stuck on tactile sensations, we can live in comfort. Wherever we sit, we can be at our ease: at ease when it's cold, at ease when it's hot, at ease in a soft seat, at ease in a hard seat. Even if the sun burns us up, we can be at our ease. The body can fall apart, and we can be at our ease. This is called spitting out tactile sensations. As for the heart, it spits out ideas. It's a heart released: released from the five aggregates, released from the three sorts of consciousness. They can't ever fool it again. The heart is released from stress and suffering, and will reach the highest, most ultimate happiness: nibbana.

Here I've been talking on the topic of consciousness. Take it to heart and train yourself to give rise to knowledge within. That's when you can be said to know the worlds. The consciousnesses that have bodies inhabit the worlds of sensuality, from the levels of hell on up to heaven. The consciousnesses with no bodies inhabit the world of the formless Brahmas. Our own consciousness is what will take us to nibbana. When you know these three kinds of consciousness you can be said to be vijja-carana-sampanno: consummate in knowledge and conduct. Sugato: You'll go well and come well and wherever you stay, you'll stay well. All the beings of the world can then get some relief. In what way? We hand everything over to them. Any animals who want to eat away in our body can go ahead and do so. We're no longer possessive. Whatever they want, whatever they like to eat, they can go ahead and have it: We don't give a damn. That's how we really feel. We're not attached. If they want to eat our intestines, they can go ahead. If they want to eat our excrement, they can have it. If they want to eat our blood, they can eat all they like. We're not possessive. Whatever any type of consciousness wants, they're welcome to it. We give them their independence, so they can govern themselves, without our trying to snitch anything away from them. As a result, they gain a share of our goodness. The same for the bodiless consciousnesses in our body: They gain their independence. And we gain our independence, too. Everybody gets to live in his or her own house, eat his or her own food, sleep in his or her own bed. Everyone lives separately, so everyone can be at his or her own ease.

This is called "bhagava": The eye gets separated from forms, forms get separated from the eye, and consciousness gets separated from self.

The ear gets separated from sounds, sounds get separated from the ear, and consciousness gets separated from self.

The nose gets separated from smells, smells get separated from the nose, and consciousness gets separated from self.

The tongue gets separated from flavors, flavors get separated from the tongue, and consciousness gets separated from self.

The body gets separated from tactile sensations, tactile sensations get separated from the body, and consciousness gets separated from the body.

The mind gets separated from ideas, ideas get separated from the mind, and consciousness gets separated from the mind.

There's no sense that this is our self or that's our self. This is called "Sabbe dhamma anatta," all phenomena are not-self. We don't claim rights over anything at all. Whoever can do this will gain release from the world, from the cycle of death and rebirth. This is asavakkhaya-ñana — the knowledge of the ending of mental fermentation — arising in the heart.
Source: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... esses.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Thisperson

Re: Consciousness

Post by Thisperson » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:50 pm

Interesting talk from Ajahn Lee, thanks for posting it. I like the Loka Sutta in helping to understand consciousness and arising/ceasing of the whole causal chain of becoming.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:13 pm

I have recently been watching various TED Talks regarding this topic which may be helpful in arriving at personal definitions regarding this topic:
https://www.ted.com/talks/john_searle_o ... sciousness

John Searle
Philosopher
John Searle has made countless contributions to contemporary thinking about consciousness, language, artificial intelligence and rationality itself
https://www.ted.com/talks/david_chalmer ... sciousness

David Chalmers
Philosopher
In his work, David Chalmers explores the “hard problem of consciousness" — the quest to explain our subjective experience.
https://www.ted.com/talks/antonio_damas ... sciousness

->Antonio DamasioNeuroscientist
Antonio Damasio's research in neuroscience has shown that emotions play a central role in social cognition and decision-making. His work has had a major influence on current understanding of the neural systems, which underlie memory, language, consciousness
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:30 pm

A. Damasio: "But there is something else that we are all experiencing in this room. We are not passive exhibitors of visual or auditory or tactile images. We have selves. We have a Me that is automatically present in our minds right now. We own our minds. And we have a sense that it's everyone of us that is experiencing this -- not the person who is sitting next to you. So in order to have a conscious mind, you have a self within the conscious mind. So a conscious mind is a mind with a self in it. The self introduces the subjective perspective in the mind, and we are only fully conscious when self comes to mind. So what we need to know to even address this mystery is, number one, how are minds are put together in the brain, and, number two, how selves are constructed."
On one hand, comparing the teachings of Buddha regarding "the delusion of self" as compared and contrasted with that of Damasio's definition of consciousness there appears to be a direct conflict. Buddha pointed out that which is impermanent cannot be a self, at least not any permanent self. I would love to hear what Damasio has to say in this regard.
Now there are three levels of self to consider -- the proto, the core and the autobiographical. The first two are shared with many, many other species, and they are really coming out largely of the brain stem and whatever there is of cortex in those species. It's the autobiographical self which some species have, I think. Cetaceans and primates have also an autobiographical self to a certain degree. And everybody's dogs at home have an autobiographical self to a certain degree. But the novelty is here.
16:26
The autobiographical self is built on the basis of past memories and memories of the plans that we have made; it's the lived past and the anticipated future. And the autobiographical self has prompted extended memory, reasoning, imagination, creativity and language. And out of that came the instruments of culture -- religions, justice, trade, the arts, science, technology. And it is within that culture that we really can get -- and this is the novelty -- something that is not entirely set by our biology. It is developed in the cultures. It developed in collectives of human beings. And this is, of course, the culture where we have developed something that I like to call socio-cultural regulation.
17:13
And finally, you could rightly ask, why care about this? Why care if it is the brain stem or the cerebral cortex and how this is made? Three reasons. First, curiosity. Primates are extremely curious -- and humans most of all. And if we are interested, for example, in the fact that anti-gravity is pulling galaxies away from the Earth, why should we not be interested in what is going on inside of human beings?
17:40
Second, understanding society and culture. We should look at how society and culture in this socio-cultural regulation are a work in progress. And finally, medicine. Let's not forget that some of the worst diseases of humankind are diseases such as depression, Alzheimer's disease, drug addiction. Think of strokes that can devastate your mind or render you unconscious. You have no prayer of treating those diseases effectively and in a non-serendipitous way if you do not know how this works. So that's a very good reason beyond curiosity to justify what we're doing, and to justify having some interest in what is going on in our brains.
Buddha explained that Arahants understood the difference between "the mundane self", that self of which humans speak casually, and "the reality of there being no self which can be identified in any aspect of our existence". However he said no such thing regarding consciousness, including that of mind consciousness, which observes and directs all of the other consciousnesses, which cause sensing of the environment both internal and external.
As to all the rest both Buddha and Dimasio are in agreement.

Or, am I drawing the wrong conclusion?
What Makes an Elder? :

Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:44 pm

]
A. Damasio: "But there is something else that we are all experiencing in this room. We are not passive exhibitors of visual or auditory or tactile images. We have selves. We have a Me that is automatically present in our minds right now. We own our minds. And we have a sense that it's everyone of us that is experiencing this -- not the person who is sitting next to you. So in order to have a conscious mind, you have a self within the conscious mind. So a conscious mind is a mind with a self in it. The self introduces the subjective perspective in the mind, and we are only fully conscious when self comes to mind. So what we need to know to even address this mystery is, number one, how are minds are put together in the brain, and, number two, how selves are constructed."
Yuck. It's reasons like this that I don't pay attention much to neuroscientists not trained in philosophy when they talk about these kinds of things. They make absolutely massive assumptions about things without even realizing it because they haven't rationally analyzed everything because they aren't trained in that kind of methodology.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.

Thisperson

Post by Thisperson » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:42 pm

Ron-The-Elder wrote:Buddha explained that Arahants understood the difference between "the mundane self", that self of which humans speak casually, and "the reality of there being no self which can be identified in any aspect of our existence". However he said no such thing regarding consciousness, including that of mind consciousness, which observes and directs all of the other consciousnesses, which cause sensing of the environment both internal and external.
As to all the rest both Buddha and Dimasio are in agreement.

Or, am I drawing the wrong conclusion?
Consciousness is not self.
Bhikkhus, consciousness is not self. Were consciousness self, then this consciousness would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of consciousness: 'Let my consciousness be thus, let my consciousness be not thus.' And since consciousness is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of consciousness: 'Let my consciousness be thus, let my consciousness be not thus.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nymo.html

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:47 pm

According to Abhidhamma:

Four Ultimate Realities (Paramattha Dhammaa)
1)Consciousness (Citta)
2)The mental factors (Cetasika) i.e Feeling or sensation (Vedana) and Perception (Sanna) which are arise as a result of consciousness (samkhara)

3)Material form (Ruppa) –This includes body, sex and seat of consciousness. The body-decade is composed of the Four Primary Elements –Extension, cohesion, heat, motion (Pathavi, apo, tejo, vayo)
4)Nirvana (Nibbaana) – Nirvana is an unconditioned reality. All other three are conditioned realities.
There are four stage of sainthood – Stream-winner (Sotapatti), Once-Returner (Sakadagami), Non-Returner (Anagami), Worthy (Arahatta)

"The Abhidhamma in Practice", by N.K.G. Mendis. Access to Insight, June 7, 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el322.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:51 am

This is one of the best things i have seen on the subject recently:
http://meaningoflife.tv/videos/32997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Donald Hoffmans interface theory of perception and consciousness.

The hameroff/penrose theory (lots on youtube) is a bit more materialistic but interesting.

The hoffman theory, as far as i can tell, doesnt violate any buddhist dogma.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

pegembara

Post by pegembara » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:09 am

A conscious self is merely imputed but not reality. Things are being experienced but the self that experience those things are merely assumptions.

The neuroscientist still thinks in terms of "I see" whereas the Buddha stated that reality is "eye see".

"'The six classes of contact should be known.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the ear & sounds there arises consciousness at the ear. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the nose & aromas there arises consciousness at the nose. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the tongue & flavors there arises consciousness at the tongue. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the body & tactile sensations there arises consciousness at the body. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the intellect & ideas there arises consciousness at the intellect. The meeting of the three is contact. 'The six classes of contact should be known.'"

The scientist thinks there is a permanent I that sees, hears, thinks without considering that the seer, hearer, thinker is not separate from sights, sound and thoughts. The subject is not separate from the object. They are dependently co arisen. Imasmim sati idam hoti Imassuppada idam uppajjati -
"when this is, that is; with the arising is this, that arises". Imasmim asati idam nahoti Imassa nirodha idam nirujjati - "when this is not, that is not; with the ceasing of this, that ceases".

"If anyone were to say, 'The eye is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable. The arising & falling away of the eye are discerned. And when its arising & falling away are discerned, it would follow that 'My self arises & falls away.' That's why it wouldn't be tenable if anyone were to say, 'The eye is the self.' So the eye is not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Forms are the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the eye is not-self and forms are not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Consciousness at the eye is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the eye is not-self, forms are not-self, consciousness at the eye is not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Contact at the eye is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the eye is not-self, forms are not-self, consciousness at the eye is not-self, contact at the eye is not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Feeling is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the eye is not-self, forms are not-self, consciousness at the eye is not-self, contact at the eye is not-self, feeling is not self. If anyone were to say, 'Craving is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable. The arising & falling away of craving are discerned. And when its arising & falling away are discerned, it would follow that 'My self arises & falls away.' That's why it wouldn't be tenable if anyone were to say, 'Craving is the self.' Thus the eye is not-self, forms are not-self, consciousness at the eye is not-self, contact at the eye is not-self, feeling is not self, craving is not-self."

Chachakka Sutta

"Is consciousness permanent or impermanent?" — "Impermanent, venerable sir." — "Now is what is impermanent pleasant or painful?" — "Painful, venerable sir." — "Now is what is impermanent, what is painful since subject to change, fit to be regarded thus: 'This is mine, this is I, this is my self'"? — "No, venerable sir."

Anattalakkhana Sutta

In conclusion, the eye consciousness that arises and passes is not self but the scientist thinks there is a permanent I consciousness that is apart from the other types ie. eye, ear, nose, tongue, body and mind.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:30 pm

The Following regarding consciousness from "What The Blessed Buddha Said:"
The Blessed Buddha has explained consciousness as:

A: Definitions:
What, now, is consciousness?
There are six kinds of consciousness (viññāna-khandha):
1: Consciousness of form is visual consciousness,
2: Consciousness of sound is auditory consciousness,
3: Consciousness of smell is olfactory consciousness,
4: Consciousness of taste is gustatory consciousness,
5: Consciousness of touch is tactile consciousness,
6: Consciousness of thought is mental consciousness.
SN: 22:56
B: Causation by Dependent Origination:
The arising of consciousness is dependent upon specific conditions...
Without presence of these conditions, no consciousness will ever emerge...
Consciousness is named after the conditions upon which it is dependent!
Consciousness, whose arising depends on the encounter of eye & forms,
is called visual consciousness. Consciousness, whose arising depends on
the ear & sounds, is called auditory consciousness. Consciousness, whose
arising depends on the nose and smells, is called olfactory consciousness.
Consciousness, whose arising depends on the tongue and taste, is called
gustatory consciousness. Consciousness, whose arising depends on the
meeting of the body or skin and touch is called tactile consciousness.
Consciousness, whose arising depends on mind meeting a mental object,
state, idea or thought is called mental consciousness. MN 38
The central role of active Attention:
Even though the eye is intact, if external form does not fall within the
field of vision, then no attentive combination of eye & form takes place,
therefore there will not emerge any visual consciousness. Or even though
external form actually fall within the field of vision, yet if no attentive
combination of eye & form takes place, there will neither emerge any
visual consciousness. Only if, the eye is intact, external form fall within
the range of vision, & attentive combination of eye & form takes place,
then there arises the corresponding phenomenon of visual consciousness.
(Similarly so with the other 5 kinds of consciousness) MN 28
C: Dependency on the other four Clusters of Clinging:
It is impossible for anyone to explain the passing out of one existence,
and the entering into a new process of existence during transmigration,
or the initiation, growth, increase, and development of consciousness,
independently of form, feeling, perception, and mental construction...
SN 22: 53
Comment:
Like space has no essence in itself beyond being 'spacious', but can
contain, accommodate, hold, & include all material phenomena, then
similarly has consciousness no essence in itself beyond being 'aware'
of all the mental phenomena it can manifest, display, show, exhibit,
expose, express, create and reveal. It defines & establishes being...
It is momentary and vanishes instantly after it has arisen. It is Not
an abiding presence, entity, soul, I, me, ego, core, nor any identity...
Apart from conditions, there is nothing arising as or in consciousness...
All forms of consciousness are impermanence, suffering, and no-self,
whether it is past, future or present, gross or subtle, arisen internally
in oneself or externally in others, inferior or exalted, remote or near...
Buddha likened consciousness to a deceiving trick: A made-up illusion...
Consciousness is like a burning pit of hot embers one should not enter!
For more on consciousness see:

http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/II/Origin.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/The_Leash.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/II/Like_Foam.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/II/By_Nature.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/Ego-Projection.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/IV/What_the_Bleep.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/II/Wi ... vering.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/III/T ... Camera.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/II/In ... ontact.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_ ... inging.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:43 pm

The Higher States of Consciousness:
The Buddha on Meditation
and
Higher States of Consciousness

by

Daniel Coleman
Harvard University
Link: https://what-buddha-said.net/library/Wh ... 9_190.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Neurobiology of Consciousness: (video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOID_7T ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Published on Aug 19, 2012
Consciousness is recognized as the hard problem of today's science. It cannot be reduced to swirling atoms or neuronal blips or even ever seen in any micro-scope or scanning. It exposes a problematic and maybe even embarrassing epistemological gap between physics and philosophy. It seems to be contained in the brain, but not produced by the brain, just as the beer is contained in the bottle, but not produced by the bottle... It holds the key to understanding the nature of core phenomena like reality versus dreams.
What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:06 pm

Consciousness and The Brain:
Published on May 23, 2013
John Searle one of the world's great philosophers of mind and language, has spent fifty years stimulating thinking around the world. What he says about consciousness as a biological phenomenon will challenge you! Cogitation, Consciousness & The Brain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_OPQgPIdKg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:07 pm

How To Create A Mind: Ray Kurzweil at TEDxSiliconAlley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIkxVci-R4k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:10 pm

Consciousness in biological and artificial brains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVLJKJce_fY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:11 pm

Entangling Conscious Agents, Donald Hoffman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eWG7x_6Y5U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Sir Roger Penrose - "Consciousness and the foundations of physics”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJjydSLEVlU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:16 pm

Consciousness and the foundations of physics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5XYf1GJBhg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:18 pm

Is consciousness produced by The Brain?

Can there be consciousness without a brain?

Consciousness from previous lives?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPGZSC8odIU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Ron-The-Elder on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:19 pm

(*)
Last edited by Ron-The-Elder on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What Makes an Elder? :