Can't trust anybody.

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Annapurna

Re: Can't trust anybody.

Post by Annapurna »

Badgering people into being moral rarely works for anyone.

Sorry to say, but the stench of being saved reeks a bit in this thread. I'm pretty sure Individual already knows smoking weed is not an ideal virtue of a Buddhist practitioner, but that's really not the topic here.

At any rate, it sounds like you have a lot of practise picking bad friends and are now picking up the habit of figuring out how worthwhile that is. Good for you, indi.
Sorry to contradict you, but fwiw there is ample evidence if you cross refer, that Individual would not agree that smoking weed is not an ideal virtue of a Buddhist practitioner. He thinks it is a non issue. Therefore the fact the fact that he was threatening violence because his store of marijuana was stolen is likewise a non issue in terms of the Dhamma in his view. A number of people were concerned enough to point out that his unhappiness was in part directly a consequence with his not making the connection between that unhappiness and a particular life style. I think a laizzes faire response to this would be adhammic.
I agree with Sanghamitta here.

And how can Indi pick better friends in that scene?
A man who persists in stalking game in a place where there is none may wait forever without finding any.
I think people who replied to Indi here really care, if they didn't they wouldn't bother to .

They doing it for him, not for themselves, because they can anticipate only too well he will not be pleased.
Last edited by Annapurna on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Annabel wrote: You don't do people a favor when you tell them what they want to hear, but when you tell them the truth.
I don't think that's doing people a favor. You tell people the truth they are capable of listening to.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Aolopgies Anders, I was still editing, becuase I saw it was the first post on a new page, and so makes it hard for people to see what I'm replying to. I copied and pasted that post, and somehow deleted mine.

I would rather have you replying to what i wrote now, and especially to what Sanghamitta wrote cause i#m basically sopporting that.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Anders Honore wrote:
Annabel wrote: You don't do people a favor when you tell them what they want to hear, but when you tell them the truth.
I don't think that's doing people a favor. You tell people the truth they are capable of listening to.
On this thread and others Individual invited a response to what he was saying. He got a response which imo was compassionate and honest.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

what is better mindfulness or lack of mindfulness?
discipline or lack of discipline?
wholesomeness or lack of wholesomeness?[/quote]
Negative self-judgments are not useful. It seems more prudent to try to enjoy life and not be overly concerned with discipline or morality.[/quote]
Likewise if one posts views like the above on a Theravadin site, a school of Buddhism which emphasises morality strongly as a prerequisite of practice, then one will get a response which reflects that fact. These responses are acts of compassion.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Well said Sanghamitta

:anjali:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Sanghamitta wrote:what is better mindfulness or lack of mindfulness?
discipline or lack of discipline?
wholesomeness or lack of wholesomeness?
Negative self-judgments are not useful. It seems more prudent to try to enjoy life and not be overly concerned with discipline or morality.
Likewise if one posts views like the above on a Theravadin site, a school of Buddhism which emphasises morality strongly as a prerequisite of practice, then one will get a response which reflects that fact. These responses are acts of compassion.
They are also sometimes the result of people attempting to fix something "out there" that challenges something clung to "in here".
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Projection?

As or me, I don't have any drug or clinging problems....but I see such unnecessary suffering in families and friends....usually through being in denial that they have a problem and need help...
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

Individual's last post here was a month ago, but somehow the thread lives on....