what bothers you among world issues?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

what world issues are you concerned with?

Global warming: the manmade kind.
7
27%
Capitalism- it must end in tears.
5
19%
Legal abortions (roughly 20 million every year worldwide).
2
8%
Gun control.
1
4%
I am concerned mainly with watching my breath.
6
23%
Chill dude, it's all good..
5
19%
 
Total votes: 26

User avatar
Dan74
Posts: 3012
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by Dan74 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:30 pm

While abortion is certainly not a trivial matter, to equate the life of a 2-month-old foetus to a life of say, a two-year-old child, like the comparison of the statistics of people dying of poverty and abortion, suggest, is wrong, IMO.

A 2-month-old foetus is one-inch long and has not even formed the nerve-endings to feel pain. It is a potential human, true, but it is not a human. As much as I respect people feeling strongly about abortion, we should respect all the facts too.
_/|\_

User avatar
Modus.Ponens
Posts: 2674
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:38 am
Location: Gallifrey

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by Modus.Ponens » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:11 pm

Nuclear anihilation as a chain reaction starting with a nuclear terrorist act.
The left wing's fantasy-like denial that this is a severe danger, leaving this problem to be dealt with the worse kind of people in the west: neonazis.
The technological singularity, which is frighteningly becoming more and more a realistic threat to the survival of our species.

In short, the survival of mankind.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

User avatar
Bundokji
Posts: 1299
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by Bundokji » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:21 pm

robertk wrote:Of course for Buddhist laypeople they can abort is much as they wish and work as abortion doctors if that is their chosen career, - no issue about that .
This is the crux of the matter (except insisting that they must be Buddhists) and I fail to see how the rest of your post is relevant.

This thread is not about abortion from a monastic Buddhist point of view, nor whether it is considered a breach of the first precept, but what is relevant is how civic matters (such as abortion or prostitution) are separable from our personal beliefs as Buddhists, something you seem unable to do.

Peace
ولَرُبَّ نَازِلَةٍ يَضِيقُ بهَا الفَضَـــــا *** ذَرْعًا؛ وعِندَ الله مِنهَا المَخْرَجُ
عَظُمَت فَلَما استُحكِمت حَلقاتها *** فُرِجت وكَانَ يَظُنُّهَا لا تُفْرَجُ
لا تَيْأَسَنَ فَكُلُ عُسْــــــرٍ بَعْــدَهُ *** يُسر يُسرّ ُبِهِ الفُؤَادُ المُحَرَّجُ
واصبر فَإِنَّ الصَــــــبر في الدُّنْيَا *** نَيْلُ المُنَى والقَصْدُ نِعْمَ المْنهجُ

User avatar
ihrjordan
Posts: 820
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:42 am

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by ihrjordan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:48 pm

hmmm global warming beats out killing babies....interesting.

User avatar
ihrjordan
Posts: 820
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:42 am

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by ihrjordan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:53 pm

Dan74 wrote:While abortion is certainly not a trivial matter, to equate the life of a 2-month-old foetus to a life of say, a two-year-old child, like the comparison of the statistics of people dying of poverty and abortion, suggest, is wrong, IMO.

A 2-month-old foetus is one-inch long and has not even formed the nerve-endings to feel pain. It is a potential human, true, but it is not a human. As much as I respect people feeling strongly about abortion, we should respect all the facts too.
Can you show me any credible source that says a fetus isn't a conscious being?

Herbie
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:40 am

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by Herbie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:54 pm

In a sense it is a manifestation of self affirmation and self overestimation to care about world issues if one does not have the power to change anything, isn't it?
Inspiration is based on the exchange of different linguistic expressions. But inspiration is best knowing how language relates to truth. :smile:

User avatar
Unrul3r
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Porto, Portugal

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by Unrul3r » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:13 pm

Whether I bother with them or not, they will be there anyway. I save myself from worrying about them. Many of them are due to wrong decisions being made by massive numbers of people. On this scale, only instruction and education can help. So, what can I do? The only thing I can do is prevent myself from making such decisions and give advice, in regards to them, to whomever asks.

:anjali:

befriend
Posts: 1135
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:39 am

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by befriend » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:53 pm

self hatred.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

User avatar
robertk
Posts: 2557
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:08 am

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by robertk » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:02 am

for further discussion about whether a fetus is human please use this new topic
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
seeker242
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 am

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by seeker242 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:49 am

ihrjordan wrote:hmmm global warming beats out killing babies....interesting.
I don't think it's that unreasonable when one considers how many beings, human and non human alike, could be killed by the catastrophic future consequences of the planet warming out of control.

:anjali:

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by Mkoll » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:49 pm

Another issue not mentioned in the poll is the possibility of Cold War 2.0 which is looking all the more real as time goes on. The conflict in Ukraine is ongoing, the US has moved troops to the Baltic countries to train their militaries, NATO has a planned ballistic missile defense system for Europe (if you live in the US, you can imagine how people here would react if Russia started building ballistic missile defense in Mexico and Canada to get a sense of how Russians may feel), Russia has been building and modernizing its military for years and is modernizing their nuclear arsenal (the US is doing this as well), the Russian ruble's value has dropped by half since 2014 (imagine if you were an ordinary citizen and now you can only buy half as much as you could before—you would not be happy and would be looking for someone to blame), etc. Instead of moving toward cooperation, Russia and the US are moving toward more antagonism. And then there is China—who knows how they will act as events play out.

The US desperately wants to keep hold of its preeminent position of power over and influence over the world in the face of a resurgent and antagonized Russia and a China that is flexing its muscles in its region. This attitude is not a recipe for a stable international order in the 21st century, especially considering the realities of climate change and dwindling resources. And looking over the potential Republican candidates, if we get a Republican president in 2016, geopolitical relationships could get much uglier very quickly. :group:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

User avatar
Bundokji
Posts: 1299
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by Bundokji » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:20 pm

Mkoll wrote:the Russian ruble's value has dropped by half since 2014 (imagine if you were an ordinary citizen and now you can only buy half as much as you could before—you would not be happy and would be looking for someone to blame), etc.
This is not entirely accurate. All major currencies are measured against the USD, so the Russian Ruble has lost half of its value against the USD only, but it did not decline to the same degree against other major currencies (most major currencies fallen sharply against the US recently including the Australian Dollar and the Euro). Consequently, that does not necessarily mean that the purchasing power of ordinary citizens has fallen to half what it used to be. That would be true when it comes to imports from the US (not local products), or when Russians want to travel to countries which the value of their currencies is fixed to the USD, but some Russians would benefit from lower currency especially Russian exporters.
The US desperately wants to keep hold of its preeminent position of power over and influence over the world in the face of a resurgent and antagonized Russia and a China that is flexing its muscles in its region. This attitude is not a recipe for a stable international order in the 21st century, especially considering the realities of climate change and dwindling resources. And looking over the potential Republican candidates, if we get a Republican president in 2016, geopolitical relationships could get much uglier very quickly. :group:
I share your pessimism! But may I ask you if you dont mind, especially that its an internal American issue: could you help me understand why would the American people want to choose a republican president again? I mean Obama was great, he improved the economy, less unemployment, no wars, good health insurance, allowed gay marriage, and tried to do something about climate change ...etc

After he is done with his current term, would you send him our way :tongue:
ولَرُبَّ نَازِلَةٍ يَضِيقُ بهَا الفَضَـــــا *** ذَرْعًا؛ وعِندَ الله مِنهَا المَخْرَجُ
عَظُمَت فَلَما استُحكِمت حَلقاتها *** فُرِجت وكَانَ يَظُنُّهَا لا تُفْرَجُ
لا تَيْأَسَنَ فَكُلُ عُسْــــــرٍ بَعْــدَهُ *** يُسر يُسرّ ُبِهِ الفُؤَادُ المُحَرَّجُ
واصبر فَإِنَّ الصَــــــبر في الدُّنْيَا *** نَيْلُ المُنَى والقَصْدُ نِعْمَ المْنهجُ

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by Mkoll » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:51 pm

Bundokji wrote:
Mkoll wrote:the Russian ruble's value has dropped by half since 2014 (imagine if you were an ordinary citizen and now you can only buy half as much as you could before—you would not be happy and would be looking for someone to blame), etc.
This is not entirely accurate. All major currencies are measured against the USD, so the Russian Ruble has lost half of its value against the USD only, but it did not decline to the same degree against other major currencies (most major currencies fallen sharply against the US recently including the Australian Dollar and the Euro). Consequently, that does not necessarily mean that the purchasing power of ordinary citizens has fallen to half what it used to be. That would be true when it comes to imports from the US (not local products), or when Russians want to travel to countries which the value of their currencies is fixed to the USD, but some Russians would benefit from lower currency especially Russian exporters.
Thanks for the correction. Still, it's lost almost half its value compared to EUR and AUD as well: check out the graphs here and choose your currency. The point still stands: the ordinary person (who's not a businessman or exporter) has felt the effects of this in their daily life. There were articles at the end of last year (e.g. this one) about how people were buying big ticket items for fear their money would be worth less
Bundokji wrote:
The US desperately wants to keep hold of its preeminent position of power over and influence over the world in the face of a resurgent and antagonized Russia and a China that is flexing its muscles in its region. This attitude is not a recipe for a stable international order in the 21st century, especially considering the realities of climate change and dwindling resources. And looking over the potential Republican candidates, if we get a Republican president in 2016, geopolitical relationships could get much uglier very quickly. :group:
I share your pessimism! But may I ask you if you dont mind, especially that its an internal American issue: could you help me understand why would the American people want to choose a republican president again? I mean Obama was great, he improved the economy, less unemployment, no wars, good health insurance, allowed gay marriage, and tried to do something about climate change ...etc

After he is done with his current term, would you send him our way :tongue:
I wouldn't call it pessimistic. It's a realistic prediction based on how the US has acted since WWII on the international stage and the current and past rhetoric of the bureaucrats in power. On the optimistic side, I think the US is changing for the better on many fronts like a spreading understanding that: the prison-industrial complex has to change, the drug war has been an utter failure, universal healthcare should be a right, we should take steps now to slow global warming, the minimum wage should be a living wage not a poverty one, etc. But this is a slow process and many people still disagree about these issues and more. Ultimately, we're heading in the right direction though it may be two steps forward, one step back. However, none of these issues have to do with foreign policy, which is still very tribal and primitive (which government around the world isn't like this, when push comes to shove?). So on that count, I guess you could call me cynical :P

As to why we would choose a Republican, all those things you've listed as great, many Republicans would argue or try to do the opposite. They say the economy and unemployment is worse, they're trying to repeal Obamacare, many are anti-gay marriage, and many don't believe in climate change. Also, historically, we go back and forth between the two parties as far as the POTUS is concerned.

Image
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

User avatar
Bundokji
Posts: 1299
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by Bundokji » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:55 pm

Mkoll wrote:Thanks for the correction. Still, it's lost almost half its value compared to EUR and AUD as well: check out the graphs here and choose your currency. The point still stands: the ordinary person (who's not a businessman or exporter) has felt the effects of this in their daily life. There were articles at the end of last year (e.g. this one) about how people were buying big ticket items for fear their money would be worth less.
I think you are right. I just checked the consumer price index in Russia and I found that it doubled during last year, maybe I should have looked at that from the beginning. When you presented your point, you directly linked inflation to exchange rate which can be tricky, but in this particular instance, you got it right. :thumbsup:

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/russia/inflation-cpi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mkoll wrote:I wouldn't call it pessimistic. It's a realistic prediction based on how the US has acted since WWII on the international stage and the current and past rhetoric of the bureaucrats in power. On the optimistic side, I think the US is changing for the better on many fronts like a spreading understanding that: the prison-industrial complex has to change, the drug war has been an utter failure, universal healthcare should be a right, we should take steps now to slow global warming, the minimum wage should be a living wage not a poverty one, etc. But this is a slow process and many people still disagree about these issues and more. Ultimately, we're heading in the right direction though it may be two steps forward, one step back. However, none of these issues have to do with foreign policy, which is still very tribal and primitive (which government around the world isn't like this, when push comes to shove?). So on that count, I guess you could call me cynical :P

As to why we would choose a Republican, all those things you've listed as great, many Republicans would argue or try to do the opposite. They say the economy and unemployment is worse, they're trying to repeal Obamacare, many are anti-gay marriage, and many don't believe in climate change. Also, historically, we go back and forth between the two parties as far as the POTUS is concerned.
I have never said that its all doom and gloom when it comes to internal policy. I would be naïve to think that America is not moving forward, otherwise it wont be a superpower

When I said I share your pessimism, I was referring to my own expectation that the upcoming US president is more likely to be republican especially when you look at the results of the latest congressional elections!

I forgot to include the killing of Osama bin Laden and sealing a deal with Iran to freeze its nuclear program to Obama's achievements. When Obama took the presidency eight years ago, the country was on the verge of collapse (at least financially) and the US relations with the rest of the world was not at its best! So as an outsider, I am surprised how short people's memory can be, and how, within only eight years, they seem to be willing to forget and forgive the republicans. I am just not sure what they are thinking!

I hope that talking about this issue is not seen as intrusive, but as a world citizen, I am affected by the US foreign policies (in some ways, even more than US citizens themselves) hence my interest.

Peace
ولَرُبَّ نَازِلَةٍ يَضِيقُ بهَا الفَضَـــــا *** ذَرْعًا؛ وعِندَ الله مِنهَا المَخْرَجُ
عَظُمَت فَلَما استُحكِمت حَلقاتها *** فُرِجت وكَانَ يَظُنُّهَا لا تُفْرَجُ
لا تَيْأَسَنَ فَكُلُ عُسْــــــرٍ بَعْــدَهُ *** يُسر يُسرّ ُبِهِ الفُؤَادُ المُحَرَّجُ
واصبر فَإِنَّ الصَــــــبر في الدُّنْيَا *** نَيْلُ المُنَى والقَصْدُ نِعْمَ المْنهجُ

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by Mkoll » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:49 pm

Bundokji wrote:When I said I share your pessimism, I was referring to my own expectation that the upcoming US president is more likely to be republican especially when you look at the results of the latest congressional elections!
We'll see. The Republican candidates are in disarray right now, with a plethora of candidates and Donald Trump causing havoc. He's insulted Hispanics, women, science, just about everything. Here are a few choice quotes:
"I will build a great wall — and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me —and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”

“The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.”

“Rosie O’Donnell’s disgusting both inside and out. You take a look at her, she’s a slob. She talks like a truck driver, she doesn’t have her facts, she’ll say anything that comes to her mind.”
And this guy is leading the Republican polls. :rolleye:

It's most likely to be Hillary who gets the Democratic nod. Personally, I'd prefer Bernie Sanders, but I don't think he was a very good chance of winning. But we'll see how things go—still got a few months between now and the primaries
Bundokji wrote:I forgot to include the killing of Osama bin Laden and sealing a deal with Iran to freeze its nuclear program to Obama's achievements. When Obama took the presidency eight years ago, the country was on the verge of collapse (at least financially) and the US relations with the rest of the world was not at its best! So as an outsider, I am surprised how short people's memory can be, and how, within only eight years, they seem to be willing to forget and forgive the republicans. I am just not sure what they are thinking!
Yes, we have notoriously short memories here. Part of it is the media cycle which is ridiculously short. We're bombarded with stories about one subject for a short period of time and people talk about them. Then it switches to another set of stories and people talk about them. Rinse and repeat and it's easy to see why we forget so quickly.
Bundokji wrote:I hope that talking about this issue is not seen as intrusive, but as a world citizen, I am affected by the US foreign policies (in some ways, even more than US citizens themselves) hence my interest.

Peace
Not at all intrusive! I think we're on the same page in that we'd like to know what's going on in the world. :smile:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Phena
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 6:40 am

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by Phena » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Where is the greed, hatred and delusion option?

Also, capitalism (the ethos of consumption) and climate change (man made) are inextricably linked.

User avatar
Modus.Ponens
Posts: 2674
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:38 am
Location: Gallifrey

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by Modus.Ponens » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:27 pm

I also share your concerns, Mkoll.

Ultimatly, I think our species made a grave mistake: it had the hubris of inventing wheapons that can destroy the world, whilst thinking it would never do it. Genetically we are pratically the same as we were when we were living in caves. We were arrogant and I fear we will sooner than later pay the price of our stupidity.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

SarathW
Posts: 8521
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by SarathW » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:38 am

I do not watch news or TV anymore.
I think world will be a much better place if we do not listen to news.
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
333
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:36 pm
Location: Earth

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by 333 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:43 am

There are many dangerous world issues. I'd say greed first...next, human emotions such as fear. It seems our worldly issues stem from these; the internal flaws of human beings.
To Avoid All Evil,
To Cultivate Only Good,
And To Purify One's Mind
This Is The Teaching Of All The Buddhas!
-Dhammapada 183

User avatar
Bundokji
Posts: 1299
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: what bothers you among world issues?

Post by Bundokji » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:16 am

One of the world issues that people don't talk much about is the issue of refugees. Just today, 12 Syrians drowned at the shores of Turkey, including a child. Many people consider refugees as a threat, and politicians compete in taking strict measures to prevent them from coming in order to gain cheap popularity.

The following video shows the drowned child, some might choose not to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko-LsHE3lxo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Bundokji on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ولَرُبَّ نَازِلَةٍ يَضِيقُ بهَا الفَضَـــــا *** ذَرْعًا؛ وعِندَ الله مِنهَا المَخْرَجُ
عَظُمَت فَلَما استُحكِمت حَلقاتها *** فُرِجت وكَانَ يَظُنُّهَا لا تُفْرَجُ
لا تَيْأَسَنَ فَكُلُ عُسْــــــرٍ بَعْــدَهُ *** يُسر يُسرّ ُبِهِ الفُؤَادُ المُحَرَّجُ
واصبر فَإِنَّ الصَــــــبر في الدُّنْيَا *** نَيْلُ المُنَى والقَصْدُ نِعْمَ المْنهجُ

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests